1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and anise seed. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs until they're thick and pale yellow, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the orange zest.
3. Fold the egg mixture into the flour mixture until combined. Fold in the figs and walnuts.
4. Turn out the dough onto a well-floured surface and divide in two. With floured hands, shape into two logs, about 2½ inches wide and 8 to 10 inches long. Place on prepared baking sheet.
5. Bake until the dough is firm but gives slightly when pressed, about 25 minutes. Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack and let cool 10 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees F.
6. Cut each log on the diagonal into ½-inch-thick slices; places slices, cut side up, on sheet. Bake for 7 minutes, flip biscotti, and bake 7 minutes more. transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.