Friday Things #441
1. Dominic turned FIVE on Monday! This boy is so incredibly thoughtful, considerate, kind-hearted, and has such a gentle spirit. He loves learning about space and weather, wants to help everyone with everything, is the best playmate for both Joseph and Isabelle, and loves baking together. He asked if we could make chocolate cupcakes with vanilla frosting and rainbow sprinkles for his birthday… DONE! 🥰
2. Joseph is really into coloring right now and his favorite subjects are currently quarterbacks. He loves getting the uniform colors to match exactly and puts so much time and effort into each one; I love how proud he is at the end! 😍
3. Isabelle has been saying for a while now that she wants to be a doctor and it seems like it would totally suit her! She routinely gives her “friends” checkups, as well as the rest of us, doesn’t flinch when she gets a shot, and seems genuinely interested in what they do when she actually goes to the doctor ❤️
4. I’m so thrilled that Sirius brought back the Billy Joel channel (channel 70 for anyone interested). I am such a huge fan and wish they would make it a permanent channel, but I’ll take it while it’s available until November 1st!
5. On another music note, I’ve noticed that when I go through the channels and land on the 90’s station, that the early 90’s music is definitely my jam; late 90’s? Not so much. There’s such a huge difference in the type of music from the beginning of the decade to the end, it’s crazy!
6. This is so incredibly touching; my grandfather always, no matter the weather, stood outside and waved goodbye as we pulled away from their house. It’s a memory and a vision forever etched in my mind ❤️ >> A Photographer’s Parents Wave Farewell
7. Our house has been crushed with a revolving door of sickness since the kids started school in August, so I’ve basically been making my chicken noodle soup on repeat (sometimes twice a week!). It’s so easy (I can throw it together even when I’m sick too), especially if you grab a rotisserie chicken in your grocery order, and it’s everyone’s favorite here.
8. Does anyone remember Five Alive juice? It popped into my head the other day; my mom bought it when we were younger and I hadn’t thought about it in years. I was curious if they still made it, and apparently, it’s still made and sold in Canada.
9. We’ve been watching The Brokenwood Mysteries on Acorn TV; it’s another detective/mystery show and it’s set in New Zealand. We’re a couple of seasons in and are enjoying it!
10. TGIF! Judith also turned 5 last weekend! Happy Birthday, sweet girl 💖
As always Friday Things with pix makes my day-other things intruded, so it became Thursday Things this week. Happy Birthday to the 5 year olds! Re. the music comments, you’re so right! ’70’s began w/ folk/country and hard rock and ended with disco-fortunately it was also the beginning for “New Wave”. Talking Heads, Elvis Costello, Joe Jackson, et al. And thanks for the Brokenwood recommendation-hadn;t heard of it before, but love Acorn’s line-up.
Happy Birthday Dominic and Judith!!
My mom used to make Five Alive. It came from a frozen concentrate and she’d make it when we were sick. I think it was a citrus blend? Wish we could get it here in the states, I’d like to surprise my parents with it.
My grandma would serve Five Alive with breakfast when I would sleep over. About 2 years ago I thought about it, tried to find it, but didn’t.
Living in kansas city I was thrilled to see Joseph’s picture of a KC chief!
When my daughter was that age she asked for a cash register for Christmas. Wish granted. She had real coins in it and play dollars. She would bring tons of stuff out of her room, line it up on the couch, and we had to go “shopping”. If you gave her the exact amount she would get so mad because she couldn’t make change.
Today she is 34 and a math teacher. She has a 17 month old and one due in April.
Yay Joseph – Patrick Mahomes is the best!
So many wonderful Aussie and Kiwi (NZ) shows on Acorn! Having lived in Australia for 30 years and having now returned to Canada, I really appreciate seeing the actors and locations again as well as the irreverent Australian sense of humour. Brokenwood is great, also try My Life is Murder, 800 words, Packed to the Rafters, Back to the rafters, Jack Irish and lots more. I think you’d enjoy them all. On Sirius I love The Blend, The Bridge and Yacht Rock Radio (but I’m old 😂). Happy Birthday to Judith!
As a Western New York resident, I got excited seeing Joseph’s coloring of this week’s quarterbacks…
especially our Buffalo Bill—Josh Allen…..
great job, Joseph!! 👍🏈
About your revolving door to sickness…..Did you know that Lysol spray kills a lot of germs in the air? One of my daughters ended up in the hospital when she was 1.5 weeks old, with RSV. A WIC nurse poked her head in her doorway and asked me if I knew that Lysol spray would kill that virus in the air. I did not know that. Ever since then, I would spray all the rooms (as well as furniture & floor where they’d sit/lay) at night right before I went to bed. Then in the morning, when the kids would go to school or up and in other rooms besides their bedroom, I would spray their pillows. That way they could air all day long before they went to bed. Because I got that fanatical, it cut down that revolving door A LOT!!! Very little sickness and very little trips to the doc! My daughter? She got over the RSV and is now in her 20’s. Sorry for the epistle! Good luck with your revolving door! This is the one thing I never liked about my kids being in school….
Happy Birthday to Dominic & Judith!!! 🎉🎂🎈🐾
Absolutely love the pictures & Joseph is an artist !!! Great job ! Love doctor Isabelle ! You’re a natural ! It’s going to be rainy tomorrow so I’m going to try your chicken noodle soup ! We all love your popover recipe! Thank you so much Michele for all the good recipes you post ! Harry eats so much better now !!! Lol
My daughter was about 6-7 when she told us that she want to be a doctor. To make a very long story short. Today she is a pediatric orthopedic surgeon at Children’s Hospital in Los Angeles. Always told my kids reach for the moon if you fall you will be among the stars. And, never let anyone tell you can’t, you can.
Have a awesome weekend
Thanks for sharing from the Wave Goodbye” book. How many pictures does this pull from the recesses of my mind? I can see my Dad and Stepmother in their drive watching and waving till I turned the corner to head back to Houston from Burnet TX. They’ve both been gone now for many years but this brought those memories flooding back. Thank you.
I’ve spent a lot of time listening to 90s on 9 too. When they play a song I don’t like I end up on Channel 16 The Blend.
I remember 5 Alive juice. my mom bought it once. I don’t remember what it tastes like, but I remember my brother had an allergic reaction to it. Obviously mom never bought it again.
My grandpa never stood outside to wave us off, but he always stood in the living room window and waved as we pulled away. After he passed away my grandma did it. I didn’t realize how much I missed it until you mentioned that your grandpa did it too.
Happy birthday to Dominic and Judith.
Your grandparents photography was the most touching account of life lived and loved I’ve ever seen. To have captured loved ones like this for so many years is just a treasure. Priceless. Made me cry tears of joy for you and your family. Enjoy your family they are precious children. Life gets shorter every day but oh those memories, you can’t take them away!! ❤️ Thanks for sharing Jacquie
Thanks for the info on the Billy Joel channel, my daughter is going to be so excited! She loves Billy Joel’s music. I can confirm that we do still have 5 Alive in Canada.
Happy Birthday to both of your 5s!
Years ago we a had a little one interested in weather and I found a TORNADO CUP. It had a handle and was perfect fun for chocolate milk etc. You might investigate for Dominic.