I am officially all-in on watermelon right now. It all started a couple of weeks ago when we had our parents over for some grilling and my mom asked what she could bring. Since we were grilling steaks, I wanted to keep the rest of the meal light, so on a whim, I told her a fruit salad. She showed up with the biggest fruit salad known to man – it was packed with watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew, grapes, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, pineapple and mango. Since then, I’ve been keeping a big bowl of fruit salad in the fridge and have been eating it pretty much non-stop. I can’t get enough!
I was flipping through an old issue of Donna Hay and saw a page on summer fruit drinks. Watermelon and peach slushie? Yes, please!
My version is an alcohol-free drink, perfect for serving if you have kids at a picnic. If you prefer a spiked version, I provide directions for that, too :) These are cool, refreshing, and taste every bit like summer. Some muddled mint would be a fabulous addition, as well!
If I had a hammock, I would spend my summer days lounging and sipping on these drinks!
- 5 cups (760 g) cubed seedless watermelon
- 3 cups (42 g) ice
- ¼ cup (50 g) superfine sugar
- ½ cup (124 ml) peach juice
- 1 cup (474 ml) club soda
- Peach slices, to garnish
- Place the watermelon, ice, sugar and peach juice in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Add the club soda and blend briefly to combine. Pour into glasses, garnish with fresh peach slices and serve.