This crumb cake is so delicious - you have to try it!
Butter Crumb topping:
- ¾cupall-purpose flour
- ¾cuplight brown sugar
- ¾cupcold butter(cut into chunks)
- 1tspvanilla extract
- 1¼cupall-purpose flour
- ¼cupcake flour
- ¾tspbaking powder
- ¼tspbaking soda
- ¾cupmini bittersweet chocolate chips
- ¾cupgranulated sugar
- 1½tspvanilla extract
- ¾cupmini bitter-sweet chocolate chips(for sprinkling on top of the cake)
- Powdered sugar(for sifting on top of the cake)
- 1) Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2) Lightly grease a 9x4 inch loaf pan, and line the inside of the pan with parchment paper or foil, and then grease it as well.
- To make the topping:
- 3) Thoroughly mix the flour and sugar in a large bowl. Drop in chunks of butter, using a table knife, cut the butter into the flour until it reduces to the size of large pearls. Sprinkle vanilla extract over, working with fingertips, knead the mixture together until moist, clumpy lumps are formed. DO NOT overmix.
- Mix the batter:
- 4) Sift the all-purpose flour, cake flour, baking powder and baking soda. Then toss the chocolate chips with 1 tablespoon of the sifted mixture in a small bowl.
- 5) Cream the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer for about 3 minutes.
- 6) Add in the sugar in 3 additions, beating for 1 minute after each portion is added.
- 7) Add in egg and beat for 45 seconds.
- 8) Mix in the vanilla extract.
- 9) Alternately add in the sifted mixture in 3 additions with the buttermilk in 2 additions, beginning and ending with the sifted mixture. Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl to ensure even mixing.
- 10) Stir in chocolate chips.
- 11) Spoon the batter into the baking pan, and spread evenly, smooth the top with rubber spatula.
- 12) Sprinkle the streusel topping evenly on the cake batter, make sure that the whole surface is covered.
- 13) Bake the cake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake turns out clean. The baked cake should pull away slightly from the sides of the pan.
- 14) Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly on top of the baked cake immediately.
- 15) Let the cake cool completely. Use the parchment or foil to lift the cake out of the pan, then sift some powered sugar on top of the cake. Serve.