Top 10 List: Favorite Cake Recipes

A couple of weeks ago I decided to put together a series of posts highlighting my favorite recipes from some categories where I have dozens to choose from. I started the series with my favorite cookies, and last week asked fans on Facebook to choose between cakes and ice cream for the next installment. The overwhelming majority asked for favorite cake recipes, so here they are!

Now, full disclosure is in order here. Believe it or not, I am not a huge cake fan. Cake in the traditional sense of what you think of when you think of birthday cake – the fluffy white, yellow and chocolate cake with frosting. There are just tons of other desserts I’d much rather eat. I do have a favorite white cake recipe and a kick-butt favorite chocolate cake recipe (both of which are included below), but the rest are variations of cheesecakes and other non-traditional cakes and tortes that have stolen my heart (and taste buds). Enjoy browsing!

1. Brownie Mosaic Cheesecake – The most popular cake recipe on this site and for all kinds of good reasons: Oreo crust, creamy cheesecake, chunks of brownies, chocolate ganache. This particular recipe holds a special place in my heart; I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

2. Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting – I absolutely adore carrot cake, and this is by far one of the two best I have ever had. Delicious!

3. Chocolate Peanut Butter Torte – This is definitely in the top 3 of my list. An Oreo crust (again), a peanut butter mousse with chopped peanuts and chocolate chips, all topped with a chocolate ganache and chopped peanuts. Totally adore this recipe.

4. Fig and Almond Cheesecake – Inspired by a dessert that we enjoyed at the top of the CN Tower in Toronto, this cheesecake has a crust with finely ground almonds, a layer of delicious figs and is topped with an amaretto creme anglaise. A seriously amazing dessert.

5. Hershey’s Perfectly Chocolate Cake – The best chocolate cake I have ever made. Period. My go-to.

6. Hidden Berry Cream Cheese Torte – Can you tell I love cheesecakes?? This one has a wonderful shortbread-style crust, a layer of fruit jam and is topped with a wonderfully creamy cheesecake. I need to make this again soon.

7. New York-Style Crumb Cake – Crumb cake is an essential component in any baker’s arsenal. This one is amazing. Love all those crumbs!

8. Perfect Party Cake – This is my go-to white cake recipe, and I adjust the flavors based on the occasion. Wonderfully light and moist, perfect for spring and summer parties, showers, etc. Literally, the perfect party cake.

9. Russian Grandmothers’ Apple Pie-Cake – I love apple pie. I love nontraditional cakes. I love that this recipe combines them both. A pile of apples stacked high between cake-like crust layers. Really unique and absolutely delicious.

10. Tiramisu – Tiramisu really needs no introduction. It is fabulous beyond words. And once you make it from scratch at home you’ll scoff at the ones in most restaurants (except for the ones that make it homemade – those are fabulous too!).

What are your favorite cake recipes??

45 Responses to “Top 10 List: Favorite Cake Recipes”

1. Jen of My Tiny Oven on May 9, 2011 at 12:14 am

Oh great, now its 10pm at night and all I want is a huge peice of cake! THANKS! Just kidding, all of these recipes look amazing can’t wait to try a few!

2. paddleattachment on May 9, 2011 at 12:41 am

My favorite cake is a triple coconut cake. Among your top ten, I’d love to try the Russian Grandmother’s Apple Pie-Cake!

3. Gwenevere on May 9, 2011 at 3:43 am

Me? I LOVE cake! all kinds. I used to shoot and edit wedding videos and my husband always knew when I was editing the “cake” shots because he’d come home to cupcakes. I could have really used this post then.

4. Georgiana on May 9, 2011 at 4:31 am

I’ve never made crumb cake before (I’m intrigued… I’ve never heard of it – perhaps it’s not an English thing), but I have a recipe for an apple streusel cake that has never let me down. It’s kind of my go-to-cake for when I don’t have a lot of time but still want something delicious for dessert.

5. Blog is the New Black on May 9, 2011 at 5:42 am

Drool City! Too early in the morning to see all this stuff! ;)

6. Become a Chef on May 9, 2011 at 6:04 am

Great! I was supposed to start my diet today, but now I have 10 good reasons not to.

7. Lauren at Keep It Sweet on May 9, 2011 at 6:15 am

I’m not surprised about any of these cakes, they all look amazing! I want some cake for breakfast, now!

8. Silvia on May 9, 2011 at 8:34 am

Actually I cannot make up my mind, I love so many different cakes, maybe right now it will have to be carrot cake. But I love to look at those gorgeous chocolate cakes with so many layers, even if I cannot eat cream (New lactose intolerance here)… sigh!

9. Melissa on May 9, 2011 at 8:56 am

I’m with you–cake? I can take it or leave it. But your peanut butter chocolate cheesecake is one of THE best desserts I’ve ever made! Holy yummers! I’m really interested in that carrot cake, though! It looks amazing!

10. Dawn on May 9, 2011 at 9:27 am

Well I just gained 10lbs looking at these recipes, good choices Michelle, I have made the carrot cake from here, next I will make the crumb cake.

11. Kelly (the dSLR newbie) on May 9, 2011 at 9:56 am

Wish I saw this earlier, my mom loooves carrot cake but hasn’t found a “good” recipe for one yet, would’ve been perfect to make for mother’s day. Bookmarking it to try one day though, thanks! And your photos are drool-worthy, I want to eat all of those cakes. Now. :)

12. Barbara Bakes on May 9, 2011 at 10:10 am

I feel exactly the same way about cake. I really need to bake that brownie cheesecake now!

13. Maria on May 9, 2011 at 10:41 am

I want them ALL:)

14. Leigh Ann Baird on May 9, 2011 at 11:29 am

I have tried the Hershey Perfectly Chocolate chocolate cake recipe and it used to be my go to recipe until I discovered One Bowl Chocolate Cupcakes (Martha Stewart Baking cookbook). If I don’t have any dutch process cocoa (my preferred cocoa) on hand, I just use regular Hershey’s Cocoa and the cake turns out well. I frost it with the chocolate frosting recipe on the back of the Hershey cocoa can–I’ll use dutch process cocoa for the frosting if I used it in the cake recipe– or I fill it the cake with cookies and cream filling (love oreos and whipped cream!) and frost with chocolate ganache. Ooh, I also sometimes fill the cake with a whipped peanut butter ganache and top with chocolate ganache…it’s like a big Reese’s cup cake.

I made your white cake and loved it. I filled it with lemon curd. Yum! Your brownie cheesecake looks wonderful!

15. Even in Australia on May 9, 2011 at 11:47 am

I love cake! Lemon cake, cranberry upside down cake, all kinds of chocolate cake (including an amazing four-layer one with salted caramel and chocolate ganache I made from a recipe in Bon Appetit in probably 2009). Team Cake! :-)

16. Even in Australia on May 9, 2011 at 11:47 am

Ooh, and how could I forget an upside-down plum cake from Real Simple? I made it four times last summer alone!

17. Katie on May 9, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Ohhh wow. This is tempting me to bake even though I just made a lemon layer cake yesterday! That brownie cheesecake is for sure a show stopper, everyone raves when I make it. Also have made your peanut butter torte and chocolate cake (which is also my go-to cake!) and love them. The one fail I had was with the Perfect Party Cake, but after reading more reviews on other blogs seems many people struggled with the cake being dense and not right. Sign my up for that tiramisu, it’s definitely on my list!

• lily on October 8th, 2013 at 11:38 am

hi i would like to have recipe how to make the best and yummiest cake ever:)

18. alex on May 9, 2011 at 1:51 pm

I just love cake! I want to try all of these. It’s so nice to be able to read what people liked and didn’t like! thanks!

19. shabs on May 9, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Ooooh, looking at all these cake I want some right now …

20. Christina @ This Woman Cooks! on May 9, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I want to make so many of these cakes! I’m glad you’re doing these “top favorite” posts, it’s a great way to see some of the oldies you have on your blog. I’ll be bookmarking a few of these! Thank you. :)

21. Rachel on May 9, 2011 at 4:03 pm

I really want to try your brownie mosia and apple pie cakes.

My favorites though are german chocolate and italian cream cakes.

22. The Food Hound on May 9, 2011 at 4:38 pm

I wish I hadn’t read this post. Rather, I wish I hadn’t read this post while we are in the middle of our 10-week Challenge. Now I must go and cry somewhere… but first I will print all of these off and save them for when I can make them :)

23. Jenny Flake on May 9, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Mmmmm! All of these cakes look beautiful!

24. cooking rookie on May 9, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Yum, all of them, especially tiramisu…
    It’s funny you say you don’t like cakes, in the sense of those white birthday cakes with frosting. I don’t like them neither, but I don’t even call them cakes :-). Your collection above is what I call cakes, and I absolutely love them. My favorite cake at the moment is probably dark chocolate mousse cake :-)

25. Happy When Not Hungry on May 9, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Wow all your cakes look gorgeous especially that chocolate peanut butter torte!

26. Sues on May 9, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Oh wow, this is incredible!! I want them all! But especially the brownie mosaic cheese cake and the peanut butter torte. Beautiful!

27. Lori @ Girl Meets Oven on May 9, 2011 at 10:55 pm

So many good cakes to choose from here! I particularly like chocolate sheet cake, and the layered chocolate cake you have here looks fabulous. Lately I’ve been experimenting with chocolate angel food cake, which is a nice lighter way to get my chocolate fix. Thanks for sharing these!

28. Paula on May 10, 2011 at 8:41 am

Wonderful selection for your top 10. Now to try and decide which would be my favourite but that Apple Pie Cake is brand-new to me and looks delicious.

29. Emily Malloy @Cleanliness on May 10, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Oh how I continually enjoy everything that you post!

I hope you realize how inspiring you are!!! :)

30. Tracy on May 10, 2011 at 1:07 pm

You know, I am not a huge cake fan either, but I have to say that I LOVE Dorie’s Perfect Party Cake. It is my favorite cake ever, hands down. But all of your cakes look delicious!

31. Tiffany on May 10, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Fig and almond cheesecake PLEASE! :D

32. Mohana on May 10, 2011 at 5:49 pm

I doubt I could say no to any of the cakes you pictured above, but if I have to choose one that I absolutely love, I would say “Tuxedo Cake” :)

33. Jarrelle on May 11, 2011 at 11:20 am

You are fabulous!!! I have 2 birthdays to make cakes for and using 2 of them from your top 10!! Thank you so much for sharing! I cannot wait to make these:)

34. Sandra on May 11, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Trying to determine my fave is like trying to figure out which arm is my favorite. They’re all fabulous! I’d made up my mind to back off cakes for a bit. Hmmmmm, may have to rethink that. You’ve whet my appetite.

35. Tricia on May 12, 2011 at 7:10 pm

I love any kind of ice cream cake, but especially ones that have a crunchy layer in them. Sanders Bumpy Cake is also pretty incredible. I once made a toffee candy cake that I had to put a lock on so I wouldn’t keep sneaking slivers of it. Crumb cake definitely reminds me of my childhood in NYC. I can’t wait to try your recipe.

36. RisaG on May 14, 2011 at 9:40 pm

My absolute favorite of all time is Ebinger’s Black Out Cake. There is a great recipe for it in Molly O’Neill’s New York Cookbook. She got the recipe from one of the family member’s of Ebinger’s Bakery before they went out of business.

I also love a really good cheesecake and last is Boston Cream Pie, which is not a pie but a cake. I had the real thing at the Parker House Hotel, where it was created, last summer.

I have made the Ebinger’s Black Out Cake a few times. It is a wonderful cake. Soooo chocolate-y.

37. jujie on February 12, 2013 at 7:10 am

oh… thanks for all great ideas.. i just enjoyed my red velvet cakes (bakes in my tiny oven) and the whole family thought i bought it from cake house… !! great experience…

38. Mikamaika on April 16, 2013 at 9:14 pm

it looks so yummy!

39. nancy on October 23, 2013 at 5:26 am

They all look yummy!!! I love cakes

40. Binäre Optionen broker on October 25, 2013 at 10:44 am

With havin so much content and articles do you ever run into any issues of plagorism or copyright violation?
    My blog has a lot of completely unique content I’ve
    either created myself or outsourced but it appears a lot of it
    is popping it up all over the web without my authorization.
    Do you know any methods to help reduce content from being ripped off?
    I’d certainly appreciate it.

41. Brian in Denmark on October 27, 2013 at 9:33 pm

This page probly are forbidden according to the Geneve convention………. Its pure torture to a poor Diabetic………. ‘Drowling’… :-) yummy Yummy

42. Cayla on April 29, 2014 at 9:13 am

These recipes look delicious I will have to try one one day.

43. Baker in need on May 11, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Today is Mother’s Day and I want to make a 3 layered cake but my mom doesn’t like cake what should I make the three layered not cake out of please anwser fast I need your answer right away

44. pomelo on July 28, 2014 at 9:35 am

hmmmm!!!i luv cakes,,its so yammy…i want 2 bake diff. flavors of cakes someday @..i want 2 try all of those rcipes.