Welcome to Brown Eyed Baker, where it’s perfectly acceptable to eat dessert first!
Back in February of 2007, I was living a couple of hours away from friends and family, and winter claustrophobia had begun to set in when I stumbled across a food blog online. I had always loved to bake (a gene my mom claims skipped a generation and went straight from my grandma to me) and enjoyed writing, so this seemed like a perfect way to escape the grey winter days. I figured it would be a creative outlet, perhaps nudge me to try some new, more challenging recipes, and my mom and sister could check out what I was making. That was nearly seven years ago and the rest, as they say, is history. What an amazing journey this has been!
What you’ll find here are some of my favorite food groups: desserts, appetizers and loads of comfort food, all made primarily from scratch. My hope is that you leave the site with the insatiable urge to run into your kitchen and whip up what you’ve seen here, and the confidence to know that you can do it. Growing up in an Italian family, the kitchen was always the hub of activity – it’s where everyone gathered to talk, eat and share life while amazing food was being created. I am so happy to have you here in my virtual kitchen and hope you’ll return again and again.
I was born and raised in Pittsburgh, PA, home of the famed Primanti Bros. sandwich. In a previous life, I worked as a marketing analyst in a few different cube farms. I am entirely self-taught when it comes to the kitchen, learning as I go through cookbooks, magazines, television shows, the Internet, and a tremendous amount of trial and error. My grandma baked by feel; her hands knew when dough was ready and she never second-guessed herself. I try to channel her confidence when I’m in the kitchen, and hope to pass it along to you, too!
When I’m not in the kitchen covered in flour, you can usually find me watching sports, lacing up my ice hockey skates, obsessing over my fantasy football team, playing a rousing game of 500 Bid, or spending time with my husband at our home in Pittsburgh with our two Golden Retrievers, Einstein and Duke.
If you’re new here, let me take a moment to show you around the site.
- There is a Recipe Index where you can browse for recipes by category and even ingredient.
- A FAQ page outlines many of the common recipe, blogging and general questions that are received.
- If you’re curious about the food photos on the site, check out the Photography page.
- There is an entire list of the kitchen equipment and ingredients that I use on a regular basis.
- You may find the Conversions and Substitutions pages to be helpful when making recipes.
- Follow along as I cross items off my baking bucket list!
Keeping in Touch
There are a number of ways in which you can keep up with new material here on Brown Eyed Baker:
- Subscribe via email and have new posts delivered straight to your inbox.
- Follow Brown Eyed Baker on your favorite social media outlet: Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter or Instagram.