Buffalo Chicken Dip
This Buffalo Chicken Dip recipe is an easy classic that features three different layers of flavors including chicken mixed with your favorite hot sauce (I always go for Frank’s RedHot!), cream cheese, ranch dressing and, of course, lots of cheese!
One of my oldest, best friends, Beth, definitely qualifies as a genius.
Many years ago, a couple of days before Christmas, she invited a bunch of girlfriends over for a “dip party”. It’s absolutely as awesome as it sounds. Everyone brings their favorite dip along with the recipe to share. Seriously brilliant.
A small group of us sat around her kitchen island with bowls and plates of dip in front of us, sampling them all and chatting. It was such a great idea and a wonderful, low-key way for a bunch of girls to share some favorite recipes, hang out and, of course, eat.
One of the stars of the show that night was this buffalo chicken dip.
While I love wings, I always lean towards flavors like honey barbecue, teriyaki or garlic parmesan. I’ve never been a big fan of the buffalo/hot sauce flavor so I was never compelled to make (or even try!) this dip.
Well, this is one of the dips that Beth contributed to her party and when I tried it for the first time, I loved it! I was sold immediately and had to have the recipe.
The combination of the hot sauce with cream cheese, ranch and all that cheese was just phenomenal. Plus, it’s EASY!
How To Make Buffalo Chicken Dip
There are three simple steps to getting this buffalo chicken dip ready for the oven:
- Combine shredded chicken with a bottle of hot sauce. Spread in a baking pan.
- On the stove, melt together cream cheese and a bottle of ranch dressing. Pour over the hot sauce-infused chicken.
- Spread a combination of shredded cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses over the top and pop it in the oven!
That’s all there is to it!
- The Chicken – The original recipe calls for boiling and shredding fresh chicken breasts, however you can substitute canned chicken or use a rotisserie chicken to significantly cut down on prep time.
- The Hot Sauce – Use your favorite, but Frank’s RedHot is always my go-to!
- The Ranch Dressing – Many buffalo purists will not agree with using ranch dressing (I use Hidden Valley Ranch, by the way), and you can absolutely use blue cheese instead if you’d like.
- The Layers – This dip was originally written as a layered dip, but you can stir everything together before baking if you’d prefer. Some reviewers have mentioned that the layer of cheese on top is too thick and while I haven’t had that issue, it would be just as delicious with everything mixed together!
- Make Ahead – Prepare the dip up to one day in advance, cover and refrigerate. Add 5 to 10 minutes of cooking time when ready to bake.
- Crockpot Option – You can make this dip in the crock pot by adding all of the ingredients (cube the cream cheese), stirring, and cooking on low for 4 to 6 hours, stirring once or twice during the cooking process.
If you’ve never made it before, buffalo chicken dip deserves a spot in your party recipe repertoire. Everyone goes NUTS over it! It’s especially great for an afternoon or evening of football watching, or a New Year’s Eve party.
I made this a few weeks ago as an appetizer for Sunday dinner, and at the end of the day the pan was empty and the chip bowl only had crumbs left.
A total must-make!
If You Like This Buffalo Chicken Dip, Try These:
- Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Hissy Fit Dip
- Slow Cooker Spicy Beef Queso Dip
- Jalapeño Popper Dip
- Pizza Dip
- Game Day Dip
Watch How to Make Buffalo Chicken Dip:
Buffalo Chicken Dip
Buffalo Chicken Dip is an easy classic that features three different layers of flavors including chicken mixed with your favorite hot sauce (I always go for Frank’s RedHot!), cream cheese, ranch dressing and, of course, lots of cheese!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, boiled and shredded
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle hot sauce
- 16 ounces cream cheese
- 1 (16-ounce) bottle ranch dressing
- 6 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (about 1½ cups)
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1½ cups)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the chicken with the bottle of hot sauce and spread in the bottom of a 3-quart baking dish.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the cream cheese and the ranch dressing over low heat until the cream cheese is completely melted and smooth. Pour the mixture evenly over the chicken. Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the cream cheese/ranch layer.
- Bake uncovered for 30 to 40 minutes, or until bubbling and browned on top. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with celery sticks, other vegetables, tortilla chips or crackers.
- You can substitute four (12.5-ounce) cans of cooked chicken, drained, for the chicken breasts.
- You can also substitute shredded rotisserie chicken (5 to 6 cups of shredded chicken).
- I recommend Frank’s RedHot sauce.
- I recommend Hidden Valley Ranch dressing.
- You can substitute blue cheese for all of the ranch (or half of it).
- Instead of layering the dip, you can mix everything together.
- You can make this dip in a crock pot by adding all of the ingredients (cube the cream cheese), stirring, and cooking on low for 4 to 6 hours, stirring once or twice during the cooking process.
- This can be prepared a day in advance, just cover and refrigerate overnight. You may need to add 5 or 10 minutes to the baking time.
This recipe was originally published on February 1, 2011. Photos were updated in May 2017, then refreshed with updated and extensive recipe notes in September 2018.
[photos by The Almond Eater]
Products Featured in this Recipe:
(may contain affiliate links)