This has been one crazy summer season. One one hand, I feel like the last few months have gone by in the blink of an eye. On the other hand, I feel like it has been for-ev-er since the cool weather left and warmer temperatures moved in. It only took until the second day with temperatures above 90 for me to start daydreaming about the calendar hitting September and October. I couldn’t wait to throw on jeans and sweatshirts, drink hot chocolate, and bake with apples and cinnamon. I still haven’t busted out the jeans or hoodies yet, but I couldn’t wait any longer on the apple baking. I’ve begun, and there’s no guarantee when I’ll stop. The good news is that you get to reap the benefits! :)
This is a really simple apple crisp that’s absolutely delicious. Peeled, chopped apples are tossed with sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and some spice. Then they’re placed into a baking dish and topped with a quick and easy crisp mixture that’s accented with almonds. The almonds add just a little bit of extra crunch and pop of flavor.
Warm from the oven with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream, this is the epitome of what fall dessert is meant to be!
For the Apple Filling:
- ½ teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1½ pounds (680.39 g) Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1½ pounds (680.39 g) Golden Delicious Apples, peeled, cored and cut into ½-inch cubes
- ⅔ cup (133.33 g) granulated sugar
- Pinch salt
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground nutmeg
For the Almond Crisp Topping:
- ¾ cup (93.75 g) all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup (165 g) light brown sugar
- ½ cup (54 g) slivered almonds, crumbled with your fingers
- ½ teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt
- 1½ teaspoons (1.5 teaspoons) ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) ground nutmeg
- ½ cup (113.5 g) cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place oven rack in bottom third of oven.
- Make the Apple Filling: Stir the cornstarch and lemon juice together in a large bowl until the cornstarch is dissolved. Add the apples, sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg and toss to combine. Pour mixture into an 8-inch-square (or other 2-quart) baking dish.
- Make the Almond Crisp Topping: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, almond pieces, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Use a pastry blender (or your fingertips) to quickly incorporate the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture is the consistency of coarse crumbs. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the apple filling.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown, the juices are bubbling and the apples are tender.