Cream Cheese Fruit Dip Recipe
This easy fruit dip recipe is the best! Made with just two ingredients – cream cheese and marshmallow creme – it takes only minutes to prepare and is the perfect addition to summer fruit trays!
This fruit dip is not fancy. It’s not complicated. It doesn’t emit uppity foodie vibes.
It’s easy. And cozy. And feels like home.
Two ingredients. TWO.
Time to whip up? Five minutes.
Addiction factor? Plus-10.
Basically, everyone needs this in their life. And if you choose to forgo the fruit and just eat it with a spoon? We can be BFF’s.
How to Make Cream Cheese Fruit Dip
I first had this fruit dip at a pool party in high school – my best friend’s mom put this out with a large fruit tray and I was immediately smitten. When I asked for the recipe, she simply said, “get a block of cream cheese and a jar of marshmallow creme and mix them together.”
Seriously. THAT IS THE ENTIRE RECIPE.
It’s insane how easy this is!
How Can I Make Marshmallow Fluff?
The whole marshmallow creme vs marshmallow fluff thing totally confused me at first – are they interchangeable? What’s the difference? Turns out, they are both marshmallow creme, but “Fluff” is an actual brand name. They are 100% the same thing (although some people claim that Marshmallow Fluff is a must for fluffernutter sandwiches).
These are common products here in the U.S., but if you live somewhere else, you may not be able to find them. Good news! You can absolutely make your own! I have a recipe for homemade marshmallow creme that you can use anytime a recipe calls for marshmallow creme or marshmallow fluff.
Can Fruit Dip Be Made Ahead or Frozen?
Yes to both!
The dip can be mixed together and stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 1 week.
You can also freeze the dip in a freezer-safe container for up to 1 month. Thaw in the refrigerator.
Fruit Dip Variations
While this is the one and only fruit dip I have ever made because it’s amazingly delicious and addicting and I like to adhere to the whole, “if it isn’t broke, don’t fix it” mentality, there are approximately a billion and one other ways you can make fruit dip. True story. Let’s hash through some of them…
- Yogurt fruit dip – You can make this a few different ways… yogurt and Cool Whip / yogurt, Cool Whip AND vanilla pudding / yogurt, Cool Whip, vanilla pudding AND cream cheese.
- Strawberry fruit dip – This one is easy! Substitute strawberry cream cheese for plain cheese.
- Fruit dip with sour cream – This one reminds me of the grape salad I made earlier this year; it can also be made without cream cheese.
- Fruit dip with orange juice or pineapple juice – Adding a splash of either gives the fruit dip a little extra zip (and if you’re feeling extra saucy, try amaretto!).
- Fruit dip with Jello – Mix a 3-ounce package of Jello (your flavor of choice!) with an 8-ounce container of Cool Whip.
- Fruit dip with chocolate – Almost like chocolate ganache whipped with cream cheese, mmm! Try this fluffy chocolate fruit dip recipe to start!
Do you make any other variations of fruit dip? Feel free to share below!
What Are the Best Fruits for a Fruit Tray?
Now that we’ve nailed down ingredients, it’s time to select our fruits for dipping! The good news is that you can rarely go wrong! I tend to shy away from bananas because they brown quickly and can get mushy unless you eat them immediately after peeling, but most other fruits are fair game for me. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Apple slices (toss with pineapple juice to keep from browning!)
- Red grapes
If you’re throwing any sort of picnic, party or cookout this summer, make this fruit dip and watch it disappear before your eyes. Everyone goes CRAZY for it! And if you keep tons of fruit in the fridge during the summer, a bowl of this stashed away for mid-afternoon or evening dipping would certainly not be a terrible idea, either.
If You Like This Cream Cheese Fruit Dip Recipe, Try These Other Sweet Dips:
Cream Cheese Fruit Dip
This easy Fruit Dip recipe is the best! Made with just two ingredients – cream cheese and marshmallow creme – it takes only minutes to prepare and is the perfect addition to summer fruit trays.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 (7-ounce) jar marshmallow creme
- In a medium bowl, stir together the cream cheese and marshmallow creme until thoroughly combined. You can also use a hand mixer to ensure the mixture is smooth and homogeneous.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. The fruit dip can be made and stored for up to 1 week in the refrigerator; stir well before serving.
- The fruit dip can be frozen in a freezer-safe container for up to 1 month. Thaw in the refrigerator.
This recipe was originally published on June 2, 2011.