My Favorite Guacamole Recipe
It took me a little bit of time to warm up to avocados, but once I decided that I liked them, I was all-in on guacamole. I began making it myself at home about five years ago, and since then, I’ve been playing around with and tweaking recipes. Some time last year, I finally found what I think is the ultimate winning combination of flavors, and it’s the only version that I’ve made since. I think you’re going to love it just as much as I do!
While there is not one universal guacamole recipe, I think that most tend to include garlic, cilantro and lime juice as anchor ingredients, and there is no doubt that using these three together creates a very distinctive flavor. In addition to those, I add in some minced onion and a jalapeño, both for a little bit of crunch and an extra kick. Finally, a small amount of salt, cumin and cayenne are thrown in, which gives the guacamole a subtle, smoky spiciness. The mixture isn’t very spicy, but isn’t bland either, which can often be a problem when it comes to guac.
If you’re not sure what to do with a big batch of guacamole, there are no shortage of ideas… you can use it as a condiment in place of mayonnaise on a sandwich… smear it on a piece of toast for breakfast… spread it on a tortilla for a lunch wrap… or, just grab a bag of tortilla chips and dig in (my favorite!).
Tomorrow is Cinco de Mayo, so you have the perfect excuse to pick up a few avocados and get mashing!
After years of tweaking different recipes, this is my very favorite guacamole recipe.
- 3 avocados
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Slice each avocado in half, remove the pit and scoop the flesh into a medium bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and use a potato masher or large fork to mash the mixture until the avocados are mostly broken down but still have a chunky consistency. Give a final stir with a spoon and serve immediately with tortilla chips.