I’ve never been one for big, extravagant New Year’s Eve celebrations, instead preferring to enjoy a quiet evening at home, watching a movie or playing games and cards. This year will be quieter than most, as my Chief Culinary Consultant’s Nana passed away on Friday, and we will be attending the funeral service this morning. I do have one last-minute New Year’s Eve recipe to share with you on the heels of yesterday’s New Year’s Eve recipe roundup, in the event that you’ll be hosting or attending a New Year’s get-together this evening. This bourbon slush is delicious, easy and sure to please a crowd!
This recipe comes courtesy of the same pre-wedding recipe sharing session with my bff that yielded Mrs. Waterman’s Stuffed Mushrooms. You boil a simple syrup and combine it with lemonade concentrate, orange concentrate and a healthy amount of bourbon. Pour into a freezer-safe container, put in the freezer, and a few hours later you have a wonderful frozen, slushy, boozy drink.
Scoop some into a glass, pour your favorite lemon-lime soda over top and enjoy!
If you want to make this for tonight’s festivities, you definitely have time to mix it together this morning and then pop it in the freezer. If you use a wider, shallower container it will freeze up even faster!
I wish you all a very happy, festive and safe New Year’s Eve.
One year ago: World’s Best Pimiento Cheese Ball
- 9 cups (2.25 l) water
- 2 cups (400 g) granulated sugar
- 12 ounce (340.2 g) canned frozen orange juice concentrate
- 12 ounce (340.2 g) canned frozen lemonade concentrate
- 2 cups (480 ml) bourbon
- Fresca, Sprite or 7UP for serving
- In a large pot, bring the water and sugar to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer the mixture for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Add the orange juice and lemonade concentrates to the simple syrup, and stir to combine. Add the bourbon and again stir to combine. Transfer the mixture to a large freezer-proof container and freeze for at least 8 hours.
- When ready to serve, fill glass halfway with the slush, then top it off with your carbonated beverage of choice.