Brownies flavored with a classic combination of chocolate and mint
- 8ouncesunsweetened chocolate
- 8ouncesunsalted butter
- 5eggs(at room temperature)
- 2teaspoonsvanilla extract
- 1tablespooninstant coffee or espresso
- 1 2/3cupall-purpose flour
- 2poundspeppermint patties
- 1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with foil, shiny side down. Smooth the foil then butter it lightly or coat it with nonstick spray.
- 2. Chop the chocolate and cut the butter into cubes, then warm them together in a medium bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat as soon as both are melted and smooth.
- 3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment or by hand, whip the eggs, vanilla, salt, instant coffee, and sugar on high speed for about ten minutes until foamy and stiff.
- 4. By hand, stir in the chocolate mixture, then the flour.
- 5. Smooth half of the batter into the pan. Place a layer of peppermint patties over the chocolate, breaking them into pieces to fill in any large gaps.
- 6. Pour the rest of the batter over the patties and smooth the top.
- 7. Bake the brownies for 35 minutes, rotating the brownies midway during baking. When the brownies are done, they will have a firm crust on top but a toothpick inserted into the center should come out wet. Do not overbake the brownies.
- 8. Let the brownies cool completely, then lift them out of the pan and slice into rectangles.
- Storage: The brownies will keep at room temperature for up to three days. They can be frozen, well-wrapped, for up to two months.