1. Our two furry guys had vet check-ups earlier this week and both were given clean bills of health. Astonishingly, Duke now weighs MORE than Einstein (albeit, only by one pound, but still). He has a smaller build than Einstein, so he’s getting his food cut back a little bit. They’ve been loving the little bit of snow that fell earlier this week and have been doing a ton of playing outside.
2. We’re pretty much on perpetual baby watch at our house; I’m 39 weeks 4 days and my due date is Monday, so every time I feel a little twinge I wonder if THIS IS IT. So far, obviously, it has not been it, but we’re ready and waiting. Come on little guy, we can’t wait to meet you!
3. Speaking of our new addition, we don’t know when he will arrive, but I do have some recipes ready to share with you for a few weeks after he makes his grand entrance. So not to worry, the site won’t go completely dark while I’m navigating newborn waters, but replies to emails and comments on recipes may get backlogged. Thanks so much in advance for your understanding :)
4. Since I’ve been on a nesting and organizing kick the last few weeks, I love this article: De-Cluttering Your Kitchen for the New Year (Food52). Love starting the new year with a clean slate!
5. So, Kanye West and Paul McCartney collaborated on a song and apparently a segment of Kanye West fans have no idea who Paul McCartney is and think he’s some undiscovered talent?! I feel so old.
6. Have you seen the thingCHARGER? Totally awesome concept, and I think we need at least three in our house. Genius!
7. I lived for playing Oregon Trail on the library computer when I was in grade school, and now I can play online any time I want?! Score! Hopefully I can avoid dysentery and get my oxen to ford the river successfully.
8. 25 Tutorials To Teach You To Fold Things Like An Actual Adult… I so need this! One of my New Year’s resolutions really should be to finally learn how to fold a fitted sheet. Those things drive me insane. My mom has shown me countless times, but I still can’t do it myself.
9. What are you watching these days? With Homeland done for the season and The Americans and House of Cards not starting up for a little longer, we were in a bit of a TV slump. Over Christmas, my husband’s cousin recommended the show Peaky Blinders to us (it’s a BBC show and we’ve been watching it on Netflix)… it’s about gangsters in England after WWI… after the first episode I was pretty “meh” about it, but it’s grown on me. If you’re in TV limbo like us, check it out!
10. TGIF! Einstein is also on baby watch :)
You have to check out Shameless on Showtime. Its a really entertaining show! Hope the baby comes soon and everything goes great :)
I have been following along now for sometime but this is my first comment. Just want to wish you the very best on the impending birth of your first child. Good Luck.
Folding a fitted sheet might be the hardest thing on the planet. My mom has also shown me a billion times but I’m thinking it’s not in the cards for me! So I feel ya, HA!
For a great TV binge try “Life.” Brilliant! And remember to sleep while you can. Best to you!
You’re due date is so soon. How exciting!
Praying for a safe birth for you and baby! Scandal, Good wife, How to get away with murder are all good. Drop everything and get sleep when you can for those first few weeks & don’t worry the emotional roller coaster is totally normal and will settle down.
Thanks for the darling dog pictures! They always bring a smile to my face. Go out to dinner these last couple of days, because you probably won’t for awhile after the little guy comes. :)
Best wishes Michelle, can’t wait to see your little guy.
You are so close! I am so excited for you! Be sure to take as much time as you need to rest and enjoy your sweet baby. Blog things can wait. Good luck!
Wishing you the very best as you and your husband begin this new chapter in your lives…so very rewarding! The pic of Einstein is adorable and I believe a sign that your little baby boy is on his way soon! Dogs are so smart!!! Hugs!
Awwww what a cute picture of Einstein looking in the crib. I wish you all the best on the birth of your baby boy.
Best wishes for everything, Michelle! Awwww Einstein is on baby watch:))) heart
All my best to you and your adorable family! The best wish I can send to you is that you have an easy and drama-free a labor and delivery as I did with my sweet and fun (now 5-1/2 year old) boy. :-)
The “Thing Charger” looks really cool…wonder when it will go “live”.
Hope Einstein and Duke both love the baby as much as you and your hubby will.
Can’t wait to see pics of the baby when he is born:)
How about Call the Midwife? Another British series that is quite good and available on Netflix streaming.
Exciting times at your house! Clearly the dogs can feel it too…I agree with Downton Abbey…it doesn’t have the gritty edge of House of Cards or Homeland, but it’s beautifully done, great characters, great acting and the story lines have plenty of manipulation, romance, back stabbing, confrontation, secrets etc…to keep it exciting…
I love Peaky Blinders. More accurately, I love Thomas Shelby! I think it’s so fascinating that the show is based off actual gangs in Birmingham after WWI so it’s cool to see what it was like back then. I watched both seasons in one weekend…
It will be the most fun you’ve ever had in your life and I think you’ll remember every minute of it forever. My first was 36 years ago, and it will stay with me always. Take care of yourself!
Just wanted to send best wishes for your labor and delivery to begin soon and be as comfortable as possible! You are so kind to think of your readers and plan in advance to have recipes to post over the next weeks, but we will understand if that doesn’t happen. Your #1 job is taking care of yourself and that new baby. (But I do hope you will be able to post news that the baby has arrived and you are all healthy and happy.
Such a sweet photo of Einstein waiting by the soon-to-be-filled crib! We are on baby countdown here as well. My mom’s first great-grandchild, will be delivered on Wednesday. I’ll be a great-aunt when little Josie arrives. Can’t wait to meet her! Best wishes to you for an easy delivery–I look forward to seeing a photo of your bundle of joy!
So excited for you! My baby turned 40 last October, but the birth of my two children were the highlights of my life. I was lucky to be able to be home with them and I so cherish that time. God bless you and your little family.
OMG – those boys of yours are going to LOVE their new boy!
I just saw the ThingCharger yesterday for the first time – that is pretty darn cool! Wish I had been the one to think of that!
Sweetie, don’t feel old – I remember when the Beatles played LIVE on the Ed Sullivan show! THAT, my dear, is OLD!!! LOL
Thanks for the 25 tutorials on folding like an adult – I knew some, but others were new to even me!
My favorite shows, some have started and some are about to: Grimm, Walking Dead, Major Crimes, The Librarians, NCIS (all of them!), Supernatural. And of course, Masterchef Junior (better than the adult version, we think) and American Idol.
Have a great weekend – hoping for baby news from you SOON!
I don’t know how to fold a fitted sheet either and it no longer bothers me. :D
Love love love that pic of Einstein on baby watch!
You could read a good book or listen to Beethoven or Bach while you are up.
Ohh I love the 25 tutorials to teach you to fold… I still make a basic attempt to fold a fitted sheet and then end up balling it up in the end. I suppose at almost 30 I should know how to do that.
Ha ha, I’ve been doing that exact thing for years.
Only 5% of women deliver on their due dates. Tuesday is the most frequent day of the week that women give birth (although there is a theory that is because doctors schedule c-sections more often on Tuesdays, and that may skew the numbers). It’s sucks that the weather isn’t conducive to long walks – that’s always a good thing for bringing that baby down. I’m gonna guess January 15, ~6 AM ish, 7.5lbs. :-)
Enjoy the first – so special – stay in bed in morning snuggling with your infant (that’s not possible with the 2nd). It’s really intense those first few weeks – that’s the best way I can describe it – intense – all the feelings, physical and emotional, are so raw.
Try to not take what the doctor is telling you too much to heart – either that you are going to go into labor any minute, or that you are not ready at all. They have no clue – you think they would, but they don’t. I had my first internal after my due date – I was fingertip dilated and 40% effaced, and so the midwife said it would probably be a few more days or a week. I had my son in my arms less than 40 hours later. Sooo, try to not have any expectations – it’s the least control you’ll ever have, and you just need to accept it.
I just love your blog and your Friday Things and your “puples” (my take on people, but for our four-legged babies) and that you’re including your puples as “big brothers” to your baby boy and the pictures that you include in your Friday things and many other things! I can’t wait to see pictures of your baby boy when you have a minute to post some. Sending prayers for an easy delivery – childbirth is a miracle….enjoy every moment (I know that sounds crazy, but I really mean it!). Your world will never be the same and you’ll wonder what you ever did without him! God’s blessings to you and your family!
Let’s see that 40 week baby belly :)
Blessings to you as this little guy makes his debut!
Cheers to the New Year!
Ahh the best moment of my life. When I first laid eyes on my son. Wishing you the very best.
Awwwww!!! Einstein can’t wait to meet his baby brother! Hopefully the little guy will arrive soon! Good luck Michelle! You are going to make a great Mom! If we don’t hear from you for a while, we will certainly know why. God bless!
So excited to hear about when you go into labor! The waiting is the hardest part for sure. 1 of my Goldens, Jake, looks so much like Einstein it’s crazy! Right down to the nose that used to be black but “rubbed off” and is the same color as his. My hubs and I crack up about that and ask him all the time what happened to his black nose!
As for TV shows, I feel like we have the same taste– love Homeland, The Americans, & House of Cards. So here are my recommendations till that baby comes & for all those late night feedings where you need something to watch :) …The Good Wife, Justified, Sons of Anarchy, & Downton Abbey. And just started watching State of Affairs on NBC & so far, so good :)
Wishing you all the best …. Don’t worry about us ( your faithful readers)
Take your time and enjoy the best thing that will happen in your life … Your little boy
Hope you have a healthy, beautiful baby!!
See if you can watch “Empire.” the first episode was on this week and I really liked it.
NO – i can’t believe Duke is now heavier! Good luck with the baby pushing out – you can do it!
Best wishes for a quick and easy labor! There’s nothing more wonderful than that first new baby!
Just bought three thingCHARGERs – Brilliant!!
Love the folding tutorial too – just emailed it to my son at college :)
Enjoy these last few days…he will come when he is ready and it will all work out perfectly!
Best advice given to me as a new mom, is to sleep when the baby sleeps.
enjoy it all!
The Picture of E in stein and the crib is precious. Today is my birthday so I will be sending you special prayers for a new birthday buddy. Blessings to you and your family
TheTHING charger looks pretty cool!!
I highly recommend The Good Wife and Downton Abbey. You can find the whole series of both on Amazon Prime, so they’re probably on Netflix too. Best wishes for an easy delivery. Take every bit of help that is offered and get as much rest as you can!
I have to admit Downton Abbey is typically a girl thing but my wife got me into it as well. During labor my wife head a picture of the baby during an ultrasound. During the hard part just focus on the joy that’s about to come. :)
The thingCHARGER needs to come out now. Amazing!!
All the best for labor…. and for when your little bundle of joy arrives. Have a great weekend ;)