1. Big news! Joseph graduated from his swim class this week! They start to transition toddlers to the next class level around 16 months, and at our class on Wednesday an instructor came over and said she was going to observe him. He got all checkmarks, so to the next class we go! My little fish :)
In other news, we were outside with him a couple of weeks ago and found out that he refuses to walk on grass. I’m not sure if he finds it less “sturdy” than a hard surface, but he just stood there with his feet glued to the ground and refused to move. We’ll have to work on that ;-)
2. I’ve gotten irritated since Joseph was an infant when a delivery person would come to the door and ring the doorbell during one of Joseph’s naps, inevitably waking him up when Einstein and Duke lost their minds and barked like mad. Even a few times when the dogs were outside, the doorbell alone would wake him up. Honestly, I would want to spit fire. It hadn’t happened in quite awhile, but this week a solicitor came the door, the dogs went nuts, Joseph woke up, and I marched straight to my laptop and ordered this sign. Hopefully people actually read it.
3. Have you seen all the hubbub surrounding this woman’s article/book about wanting a “meternity” leave? I’ve particularly enjoyed this response.
4. This is THE BEST gardening cheat sheet I’ve come across >> This Genius Cheat Sheet For Gardeners Tells Where And When To Plant Your Vegetables
5. I was scrolling through Pinterest this week when I saw a copycat recipe for a Wendy’s frosty. I bet I haven’t had one in I bet at least 10 years, but now I’m totally craving one. Are they still as good as I remember?
6. Thanks to everyone for your phone case recommendations a few weeks ago! I ended up getting a Lifeproof case, and am loving it so far. It feels very protected and isn’t too bulky either. Highly recommend if you’re in the market for a new case.
7. Do you have any Mother’s Day for this weekend? We’ll be hanging at home with our families for our regular Sunday dinner :)
8. Any Game of Thrones watchers? We’ve been watching from the beginning, although I admittedly sometimes have trouble keeping track of all the storylines and who is aligned with who, etc… but oh my, this past episode. Eek.
9. I am fully engrossed in hockey playoffs, and that, coupled with Joseph’s recent decision to start waking up a full hour earlier than he had been, is leaving me seriously sleep deprived. I really wish there weren’t so many 8pm start times and overtime games!
10. TGIF! Einstein tends to think he’s a cow and grazes when he’s outside ;-)
That link to the response about the MEternity article was hilarious — seriously, did she really think maternity leave is about the “me”! If anything, maternity leave trains a mom to know that life is not about the “me”! Thanks for the laugh!
A local radio station was discussing the Meternity book last week & had 2 guests arguing the both “sides”. Loved the response you linked!
Hey – my family is moving to Pittsburgh next month for a year (Lawrenceville) and we were wondering where there were good places for swimming lessons for our son (he’ll be 2 in July). Also, he loves watching hockey and we’re hoping to take him to a game next season when he’s older.
Hi Tasha, Welcome to the ‘Burgh!! There are a lot of places for kiddos to learn to swim – the most popular is Goldfish Swim School, but it’s in Wexford, which is not totally convenient if you’ll be in Lawrenceville. I hope you get to catch a hockey game!
I had a few goldens who ate grass to ‘clean’ themselves. Apparently it’s a dog’s way of detoxing…
Your son is adorbs! And I had a Golden who used to eat grass. Craziest thing.
I am watching GOT – I had to binge watch the first 5 seasons and now I can watch real time….and I can’t stand waiting a week for next episode! Yikes! My bad for sure. Loved last week’s “surprise” at the end.
What a cute little fish! I feel you with the doorbell, interrupted naps make bad days for everyone!
As someone who doesn’t have kids and has worked for a very long time without a “me” break, I’d just like to say that I don’t think having kids is a break. I know it’s tough work as I have seen what friends go through. The difference is they are not dealing day in and day out with what goes on at work (politics etc) so they do get a break from that! I do not in any way begrudge them the sleepless nights or the various substances that they get on their clothes…oh but wait, I do get that experience. I’m a paediatric nurse!
I love kids’ reaction to grass! When my 5yr old was about 1, she’d go into contortions to avoid touching it at all. My 15month old son does the same thing Joseph does–stands there like he’s frozen! His other choice is plop down & sit completely still until someone helps him get to the sidewalk or driveway.
Happy Mother’s Day!
I LOVED the response to the “MEternity” leave! So funny! It has always frustrated me when people thought I was on a permanent vacation once I became a stay at home mom. Not true…AT ALL!
Have a great Mother’s Day! We’re heading out of town to see my Mother in Law and doing a big brunch!
Joseph is so adorable. He looks like one sturdy guy but I am guessing he really is not feeling so sturdy on the unleveled grass. I bet if you offer him one of is “learning to walk” push toys on the grass, he will feel comfortable pretty quickly.
Also, after his first fall onto grass, he will get that it is much more forgiving on the bottom than a hardwood floors! I have a friend who has a three year old who runs all around on the grass but freaks when he falls because he doesn’t like touching the grass with his hands. Needless to say, getting himself back up involves lots of fussing and complaining!
Have a great Mother’s Day!
I miss the hockey playoffs. My Blackhawks are out already and I haven’t been able to get invested in any of the remaining teams. My sentimental favorite is the Lightning because I did my college internship in their ticket office a lifetime ago. For Mother’s Day (almost) the entire family gets together and we go eat at The Patio restaurant. There are somewhere around 25 people celebrating Grandma.
Hope the sign helps.
That MEternity response is hilarious and accurate! Because there are STILL people who think maternity leave and stay-at-home moms spend their time watching soaps and eating bonbons! Go figure.
That sign…..smart idea. I wish I’d done that when my 3 were little. :)
I can see huge growth in Joseph each week! He just steals your heart – he’s that cute! My little Golden girl eats the mowed grass. I think it must be sweet to them (at least that’s what I’ve been told).
Play off hockey?!? Oh my! Tomorrow night’s Game 4 is going to be tough. Caps are a desperate team right now, understandably so. Will be a great game & I am so excited! How about the Nashville/San Jose game last night? Triple OT with Mike Fisher scoring the game winner with just over 8 min left in that 3rd OT. Game wasn’t over until after 1am. We’ll have Letang back tomorrow night & Crosby’s hand is good, so Let’s Go PENS!!
Joseph looks so cute in his little outfit Oh how ADORABLE!!!!
The problem I have with the doorbell is … we live in a Condo and my husband and I live on the first floor, another couple lives on the second floor and the last couple lives on the 3rd floor. We have our names next to our door bell. Never fails … when the people on the 3rd floor order take out, the delivery man will ring all 3 bells. Doesn’t take the time to see if the name matches whats on the take out bagg. It’s so annoying! I mean can’t you read the name on the take out is not the same name of the doorbell that youre ringing?? Seriously ??? Can’t you read?? Ugh!! I’m sure you’re sign will work though. Fingers crossed for you. Have a great weekend and a great Mothers Day twice ??
I love your sign choice. I had a neighbor that used a piece of paper taped on the door. You sign is a much better choice. You may want to cover the door bell, because a lot of people don’t read the signs regardless.
As for the maternity leave article. I don’t have kids, and I cannot imagine thinking I am entitled to maternity leave. Having many friends and family with babies, maternity leave is well earned and deserved for all the moms, but it is not a vacation.
Joseph looks so cute in his shorts and I am sure he will get more comfortable in the yard when he spends more time there. I hate it when someone rings the bell or knocks on the door when I’m taking a nap so I can certainly understand why it angers you that they do that and wake up Joseph. Yes, a Wendy’S Frosty is just as good as you remember. ..lol. I too wish the hockey games would start earlier in the evening. No big plans for Mother’s Day since my mom will be out of town.
I used to have the same problem with delivery men. All I did was hand write a note and taped it over the doorbell so that it completely covered it. I couldn’t get the link to work to see the sign, but my would just say DO NOT ring the doorbell!!!
Also, my daughter was very uneasy about grass as a toddler as well. We just sat her down in the middle of the yard so she had to get used to it. Worked like a charm.
What is just as bad – there is a Homeadvisor commercial that has a ringing doorbell at the end. If I don’t mute the TV before it goes off, I have to wait at least 5 minutes for my 3 beagles to chill before they realize it was a false alarm…
The doorbell thing makes me so mad!! I have a piece of paper over my doorbell saying not to ring it or knock and it seems to help! I think it’s the physical barrier between the person and the doorbell that makes people stop and actually read the sign! in 3 years I’ve only had maybe 3 people knock during nap! Hope your new sign works just as well!
Love that sign, unfortunately, my Golden’s can hear anybody that even drives down our driveway and they go nuts! They also eat grass like crazy!
I wrote a note similar to that and taped it on my storm door for the first 2 years of my son’s life. That used to drive me insane!
Mine also hated grass until he was a much steadier walker, shoes or barefoot. Sand at the beach too. He’ll figure it out. He’s a smart cookie!
Thanks so much! Its the perfect sign and I think it is going to work!
Uh oh. The link to your sign didn’t work! Was interested to see for a new grand baby coming in September!
Hi Janet, So sorry! I’ve fixed it and it works now, but here it is for easy reference: https://www.etsy.com/listing/247614558/baby-door-hanger-new-baby-sign-baby-door?ref=market
Joseph is so cute and growing so fast :)
I can view the link to the sign your purchased and I am so curious what it says… Please let me know. Thanks so much!
Happy Mothers Day for Sunday, have a wonderful day x
Hi Reshana, So sorry about that! I’ve fixed the link above, and here it is: https://www.etsy.com/listing/247614558/baby-door-hanger-new-baby-sign-baby-door?ref=market