Peanut Butter & White Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats
I spent my last weekend in Florida mulling over some different variations of Rice Krispies treats. Those crispy, marshmallow-y treats are one of the simplest things to make, yet some of the makeovers they have received lately result in some borderline gourmet desserts. The possibilities when playing around with the flavor combinations is virtually endless. I made a batch down in Florida that included bittersweet chocolate and hazelnuts, and although they were good, they were missing something. I’m still working on those, but I noodle around on that, I switched gears and started thinking about white chocolate and peanut butter. And I’m so glad I did. What an underrated and under-utilized flavor combination!
The catalyst for the white chocolate/peanut butter brainstorm was discovering this peanut butter:
It’s from Peanut Butter & Co., which I had heard about, but until recently had never seen stocked in stores near me. This peanut butter is a blend of natural, creamy peanut butter with white chocolate. Serious heaven. I also picked up The Bees Knees, which is peanut butter blended with honey – incredible. And highly addictive. I highly recommend checking to see if your store has them, and if so, stocking up!
The combination of the peanut butter and white chocolate melds incredibly well with the marshmallows, and gives great flavor to the cereal bars. I added in white chocolate chips and peanut butter chips at the end, just to give it an extra boost of flavor (plus, I embrace any and all excuses to buy peanut butter chips – I shamelessly eat them right out of the bag!). Some of the chips melted a bit when I stirred, but the pop of flavor is still there.
I’m having fun experimenting with different varieties of Rice Krispies treats (you might remember the Peanut Butter Cup Rice Krispies Treats) – do you have a favorite?
White Chocolate & Peanut Butter Rice Krispies Treats
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 bag (10.5 ounces) miniature marshmallows
- ½ cup peanut butter with white chocolate*
- 5 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- ½ cup peanut butter chips
- Butter (or spray with non-stick cooking spray) an 8- or 9-inch square baking pan; set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Add the marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat and stir in the peanut butter until melted.
- Add the Rice Krispies cereal, white chocolate chips and peanut butter chips. Stir until well coated.
- Using a greased spatula or spoon or a piece of wax paper, evenly press the mixture into the pan. Allow to sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes, or until set. Cut into squares and serve.
*Note: If you can’t find the peanut butter/white chocolate blend, use the same amount of regular peanut butter and add 2 ounces of white chocolate, melted.