You will love this show stopping dessert!
- 3cupsChocolate Ice Cream
- 3cupsPistachio Ice Cream
- 3cupsSpumoni Cherry Ice Cream
Chocolate Ice Cream
- 2cupsheavy cream
- 3tablespoonsunsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 5ouncesbittersweet or semisweet chocolate
- 1cupwhole milk
- ¾cupgranulated sugar
- Pinchof salt
- 5large egg yolks
- ½teaspoonvanilla extract
- ¾cuphazelnuts(coarsely chopped)
Pistachio Ice Cream
- 1 1/3cupsshelled pistachio nuts
- 2cupsheavy cream
- 1cupwhole milk
- Pinchof salt
- 6large egg yolks
- 1teaspoonvanilla extract
- ½teaspoonalmond extract
- ¾cuppistachios(coarsely chopped)
Spumoni Cherry Ice Cream
- 1½cupspitted ripe sweet cherries(from about 3/4 lb cherries)
- ¾cupwhole milk
- 1¾cupsheavy cream
- 1teaspoonlemon juice
- 2TablespoonsAmaretto(cherry liqueur, or rum (optional))
- ¼cupchopped maraschino cherries(patted completely dry)
- ¼cuppineapple chunks(coarsely chopped and patted completely dry)
- ¼cupcoarsely chopped almonds
- Line a large loaf pan or piece of tupperware with overlapping pieces of plastic wrap, leaving overhang on all edges.
- Spread 3 cups of softened chocolate ice cream into the bottom of the loaf pan, cover with plastic wrap, and freeze for about 30 minutes or until slightly hardened. Repeat with pistachio and cherry ice cream. Freeze entire loaf for at least 30 minutes.
- To serve, run a sharp knife under hot water, then wipe dry. Cut into slices.
- 1. To make the Chocolate Ice Cream: Warm 1 cup of the cream with the cocoa powder in a medium saucepan, whisking to thoroughly blend the cocoa. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer at a very low boil for 30 seconds, whisking constantly. Remove from the heat and add the chopped chocolate, stirring until smooth. Then stir in the remaining 1 cup cream. Pour the mixture into a large bowl, scraping the saucepan as thoroughly as possible, and set a mesh strainer on top of the bowl.
- 2. Warm the milk, sugar, and salt in the same saucepan. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolk. Slowly pour the warm milk into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.
- 3. Stir the mixture constantly over the medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula (170°F on an instant-read thermometer). Pour the custard through the strainer and stir it into the chocolate mixture until smooth, then stir in the vanilla. Stir until cool over an ice bath.
- 4. Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. (If the cold mixture is too thick to pour into your machine, whisk it vigorously to thin it out.) Once churned, fold in the hazelnuts with a rubber spatula.
- 1. To make the Pistachio Ice Cream: Grind the 1 1/3 cups of pistachios in a food processor until finely ground, but not to a paste. Set aside.
- 2. In a medium saucepan, warm the milk, sugar, 1 cup of the cream, and salt, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Stir in the ground nuts. Cover, remove from the heat, and let steep for at least 30 minutes.
- 3. Strain the warm nut mixture, pressing on the nuts to extract as much liquid as possible, and discard the solids. Return the milk and cream mixture to the saucepan. Pour the remaining 1 cup cream into a large bowl and set a mesh strainer on top. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.
- 4. Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula. Pour the custard through the strainer and stir it into the cream. Add the vanilla extract and almond extract and stir until combined.
- 5. Refrigerate until cold. Pour into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's directions. Once finished churning, fold in the ¾ cup pistachios with a rubber spatula.
- **You'll notice this pistachio isn't bright green like you find in stores. I didn't use any food coloring, so this is all natural, but you can add a couple drops of green food coloring if you're looking for a deeper green shade.
- 1. To make the Spumoni Cherry Ice Cream: Put cherries, milk, one cup of the cream, sugar, and salt into a medium saucepan. Heat on medium heat until the mixture is steamy, then lower the heat to warm and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring with a rubber spatula and scraping the bottom of the pan. Cover and let steep for at least 30 minutes. Pour mixture into a blender or food processor, or use an immersion blender, and carefully purée. (Careful because you are dealing with a hot liquid. Make sure you hold the cap down on the top of the blender while puréeing.)
- 2. Strain mixture into a large bowl. Stir in the remaining 3/4 cup of heavy cream. Chill for several hours in the refrigerator until completely cold. Place the chopped maraschino cherries and pineapple chunks on a plate on a single layer and put in the freezer until ice cream is done churning.
- 3. Before putting the mixture into your ice cream maker, stir in the lemon juice and the Amaretto or other liqueur if you are using. Note that you can skip the alcohol if you want, but the addition of it will help the ice cream from getting too icy, and the amaretto can add a nice flavor boost to the ice cream. Churn the ice cream in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. Once finished churning, stir in the cherries, pineapple and almonds with a rubber spatula.