Veggie Pizza Appetizer
For all of the new recipes that I make, I love going back and making the recipes that I grew up eating. They’re the recipes that come from my mom’s old plastic recipe books that have index card inserts. They’re stained, handwritten and come from a variety of sources – friends, family members and church books. This veggie pizza appetizer is one of those gems.
On the surface, it doesn’t look like much – the crust is made of refrigerated crescent rolls, topped with sour cream that has been mixed with a seasoning packet, and then finished off with shredded cheese and chopped carrots, broccoli and olives.
What you can’t see from the pictures or the written recipe is a house full of people on New Year’s Eve… raucous laughter… kids running around and food everywhere. People gather around the island in the kitchen, where a sea of appetizers and snacks are on display to help keep the hunger at bay until the clock strikes midnight and the pork, sauerkraut and barbecued beans are brought out.
That was the scene at my parents’ house every single New Year’s Eve where our family and all of my parents’ friends, along with their kids, gathered for food and fun to ring in the new year. Not one New Year’s Eve went by without this veggie pizza appetizer sitting on that kitchen island. My mom always made it, and it was one of the things I most looked forward to eating. I was never a veggie eater, but if you throw golden crescent rolls and ranch-flavored sour cream underneath them, I almost didn’t realize they were there ;-)
This veggie pizza is incredibly easy, doesn’t require many ingredients and can be made ahead of time. You can top it with whatever combination of cheese and vegetables you’d like. It’s one of those time-honored recipes that always shows up at family parties, and always disappears without leftovers to worry about. Do have any of those “diamond-in-the-rough” family recipes that you’ll always love?
One year ago: Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
Two years ago: Creamy, Lighter Macaroni Salad and Date, Rum & Pecan Ice Cream
Three years ago: Oven-Fried Onion Rings, Take II and Southern Banana Pudding
Four years ago: Chocolate Espresso Semifreddo and Seven-Layer Bars
Five years ago: Eclairs and Cream Puffs
Veggie Pizza Appetizer
- 2 tubes refrigerated crescent rolls
- 16 ounces (453.59 g) sour cream
- 1 ounce (28.35 g) Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning packet
- ½ cup (56.5 g) shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup (64 g) chopped carrots
- ½ cup (45.5 g) chopped broccoli
- ¼ cup (33.75 g) chopped black olives
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Unroll the crescent rolls and press into a 10x15-inch pan (or place on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet), making sure to seal any seams. Bake for until puffed and golden brown, 11 to 13 minutes. Place the pan on a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, stir together the sour cream and seasoning packet until completely combined. Spread in an even layer over the cooled crust. Top with the shredded cheese and chopped carrots, broccoli and olives. Refrigerate until ready to serve.