Breakfast in a Scone

I saved this recipe from Confections of a Foodie Bride’s blog awhile ago and have been dying to try it! My mom came to visit a couple of days ago and she doesn’t really like traditional “breakfast” foods so I thought that she might enjoy these. And enjoy she did! She took a few back with her and my sister reports that they are awesome.

I followed this recipe to a “T” and used buttermilk for the entire amount of liquid called for. I did roll the dough into an 8″ circle, however I thought this made the scones mighty large (in comparison to the picture in Foodie Bride’s blog) but everyone loved them and they turned out tasting great! I will definitely be saving this recipe and making it often!

Bacon, Cheddar and Green Onion Scones

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 stick chilled unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
4 green onions, thinly sliced
10 slices bacon, cooked and chopped into 1-inch pieces
3/4 to 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
Heavy cream, optional**
1 large egg
2 tsp. water

**Heavy cream may be substitued for half of the buttermilk.

Preheat oven to 400.

Using a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine flour, baking powder, salt and black pepper in a large bowl on low speed. With mixer running, gradually add cubes of butter until the mixture is crumbly and studded with flour – butter bits about the size of small peas. Add grated cheese and mix just until blended. (This can also be done by hand: In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt and black pepper. Gradually cut in butter with a pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles small peas. Stir in cheese.)

Add green onions, bacon and 3/4 cup of the buttermilk to flour and cheese mixture. Mix by hand just until all ingredients are incorporated. If dough is too dry to hold together, use remaining buttermilk, adding 1 Tbsp at a time, until dough is pliable and can be formed into a ball. Stir as lightly and as little as possible to ensure a lighter-textured scone. Remove dough from bowl and place it on a lightly flours flat surface. Pat dough into a ball. Using a well-floured rolling pin, flatten dough into a circle about 8 inches wide and 1/2 inch thick. Cut dough into 8 to 10 equal wedges, depending on the size scone you prefer.

Whisk egg and water in a small mixing bowl to combine. Brush each wedge with egg wash. Place scones on a Silpat or parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown and no longer sticky in the middle. Serve warm.

12 Responses to “Breakfast in a Scone”

1. Julia & Tyler on July 12, 2007 at 10:24 pm

Oh yum…I must try these! ::adds bacon to grocery list::

2. miriam on August 3, 2007 at 8:12 am

These look so great! I think I’ll try them out today.

3. Pingback: Brown Eyed Baker, Through the Years… | Brown Eyed Baker

4. Ana Fernández on November 9, 2011 at 6:45 am

Dear Michelle,
    I baked some scones a few days ago at home with my sisters using some Spanish cheese as it was the only one I had at home, I have to say it was really awesome, it was so smooth and tasty that I couldn´t believe it, I think you should try it too, I´m sure you´ll get mad about it, just have a look at this website and let me know what do you think.
    kind regards
    Ana

5. Pingback: Les scones: déjeuner à l’anglaise « Gloutonne Cosmopolite

6. Pingback: Déjeuner à l’anglaise « Gloutonne Cosmopolite

7. Diane on April 23, 2012 at 8:10 pm

The second photo is appearing as a black box…thought you’d like to know. I think these are the scones my sister makes (from your site) and they’re fantastic! I was coming here to add this to my Pinterest scone board. =)

• Michelle on April 23rd, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Thanks for letting me know, Diane! I will fix that! (And I’m glad you liked the scones!)

8. Tracy Ann on April 28, 2012 at 1:46 am

I just finished making your Grilled Cheese recipe, It was a great combination, Thank-You. I’ve pinned a number of your dishes. Really like your site. You are so knowledgeable about food science.
    I am out of heavy cream + buttermilk, but have that refrigerated powder that will add Buttermilk to your recipes. I hope that will be O.K. to use.

9. Pingback: 50 Easter Recipes | Brown Eyed Baker

10. Pingback: Easter Recipe: Bacon, Cheddar and Green Onion Scones | World class cooking recipes

11. Nancy on April 27, 2013 at 4:16 pm

I made these and they tasted great! So tender and delicious! Thanks!