St. Patrick's Day Shamrock Cookies

St. Patrick’s Day is a week away and there are certainly throngs of people preparing for all-green celebrations starting this weekend. Once the green beer starts flowing, you’ll be in need of snacks. Always a crowd favorite, I love any excuse to decorate sugar cookies, so I couldn’t let St. Patrick’s Day float on by without dressing up some shamrocks. I made a few different varieties, but I think I’m partial to the sprinkles and the smiley. Check out the close-ups below and let me know which is your favorite!

A simple cookie that was sprinkled with green sanding sugar immediately after the royal icing went on, so it would stick:

Shamrock Cookie

One of many characteristic Irish sayings, along with “Erin Go Bragh”:

This cookie was inspired by Bridget at Bake at 350, although her hearts are definitely prettier than mine :)

Shamrock Cookies

And finally, I saved the my favorite for last – the smiley shamrock cookie. In Pittsburgh there is a local restaurant chain, Eat n’ Park, that sells “Smiley” sugar cookies. They always have different varieties for the holidays, so I decided to make some of my shamrocks “smiley” shamrocks:

Shamrock Cookies

Resources

♦  Sugar cookie recipe

♦  How to decorate cookies with royal icing

48 Responses to “St. Patrick's Day Shamrock Cookies”

1. Brownieville Girl on March 10, 2010 at 6:43 am

Greetings from the Emerald Isle!
    Love your cookies, the “kiss me I’m Irish” has to be my favourite (but only if given to a handsome man!!)

2. the wicked noodle on March 10, 2010 at 6:49 am

Gorgeous cookies! I’ve never been able to successfully decorate any type of dessert, so I’m envious of your talents!

3. shelly (cookies and cups) on March 10, 2010 at 9:07 am

love these! haven’t ever been able to find a shamrock cutter…always think about it too late and they are sold out! I will have to order one for next year!!

4. gingela5 on March 10, 2010 at 9:26 am

These are so cute! I love the little smiley face :)

5. lululu on March 10, 2010 at 9:30 am

adorable cookies. i especially like the one with a red heart in the center. the white border makes it look so chic.

6. jaclyn@todayslady on March 10, 2010 at 9:33 am

I’ve never seen icing on sugar cookies look so good!! These are so cute, especially the smiley face :)

7. Krystle on March 10, 2010 at 9:50 am

Soo cute! I love the smiley one it just puts an instant smile on your face! Love these

8. bridget {bake at 350} on March 10, 2010 at 10:21 am

I love them all! I may need to make the Kiss Me on for the hubby! ;)

And, this is so true…”Once the green beer starts flowing, you’ll be in need of snacks.”

9. Sarah on March 10, 2010 at 10:31 am

I love the smiley faced cookie! I’ll definitely have to make some shamrock cookies for the elementary kiddos. Thanks!!

10. Katrina on March 10, 2010 at 10:42 am

This is my all-time favorite holiday!! These are shaaam’rockin!

11. Rachel on March 10, 2010 at 12:17 pm

How perfect! I have been perusing the web for a good shamrock cookie recipe to use my brand spankin’ new shamrock cookie cutter on, and this is exactly what I have been looking for!

12. Bob on March 10, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Great stuff. I’m always impressed by people who can decorate cookies. Mine always look like they need to see a doctor…

13. pity on March 10, 2010 at 5:30 pm

what a nice touch, really delicious, cheers from london

14. Diane {createdbydiane.blogspot.com} on March 10, 2010 at 7:05 pm

very cute! I am hosting a St. Patrick’s day baking linky and would love for you to add your festive cookies.http://createdbydiane.blogspot.com/2010/03/leprechaun-hat.html
    I am actually in the middle of baking cookies today :) I love your smiley face!

15. leslie on March 10, 2010 at 7:08 pm

Cute ute cute..can they be dunked in beer for St. Pattys day??? lol

16. Mary Poppins in Heels on March 10, 2010 at 9:10 pm

I love the smiley shamrock! And, yeah, can they be dunked in beer??

17. Irish sayings on March 11, 2010 at 3:20 am

Looks like I’m gonna get both fat and drunk :) Really, those cookies are irresistible! But how can you eat a cookie that is smiling to you so pretty?

18. Megan on March 11, 2010 at 9:43 pm

These are adorable, Michelle! I especially love the smiley shamrocks!

19. Katie on March 11, 2010 at 10:20 pm

Awwww, this made me laugh. “Eat’n Park’s the place, for, smiles”.

20. Carol Egbert on March 12, 2010 at 3:42 am

As a teenager growing up in Pittsburgh – eat’n park was the place for onion rings. thanks for sparking that memory.

21. Natalie Lesnefsky on March 12, 2010 at 10:28 am

these are sooo cute! i think i need to try this recipe out. my sophia would love them! great gift idea!

22. Tarrah Dame on March 12, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Omigosh these are so cute! I love the “Kiss me im Irish one”. I plan on doing some thin-mint desserts for St Pattys day to put on my blog, I thought about doing cookies like these, but rolling is not my strength! :)

23. Patty on March 13, 2010 at 1:29 am

So cute, I think I’ll do all the design for Saint Patrick’s Day :) Great post!

24. Linn @ Swedish Home Cooking on March 13, 2010 at 5:14 am

This is adorable! Nice and simple and cute.

25. Conquer The Monkey on March 13, 2010 at 1:48 pm

I love your blog :) I linked up to YOU and THIS post today on my blog, come check it out! I’m sure my readers will LOVE your recipe!!!

26. enrolled agent course on March 13, 2010 at 9:02 pm

These Shamrock cookies looks very delicious. Baking cookies for St. Patrick’s Day would be a great hit especially for kids. Just add on decors to make it more creative.

27. megan on March 17, 2010 at 8:58 am

I think a decorated sugar cookie is my favorite cookie ever! I like the smily face one the best, Wish I had a plateful today! :)

28. Pingback: Oldies But Goodies {#2} | Brown Eyed Baker

29. Pingback: St. Patrick’s Day Recipes | Brown Eyed Baker

30. Nancy Baggett on March 9, 2011 at 11:36 pm

These are very, very cute, and the smiley face is clever. I’ve decorated some St. Pat’s cookies, too–using a marbling technique that seems fancy but is pretty easy to do. Hope you’ll come take a peek!

31. Grace on March 17, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Wow! I love these, the green is so vibrant, the smiley face is my favourite.

32. Pingback: St. Patricks Day Recipes | Business News & Update

33. Pingback: St. Patrick’s Day Recipes | Brown Eyed Baker

34. Pingback: St. Patrick’s Day – Green Sweet & Treat Recipes – Bites From Other Blogs

35. Pingback: St. Patrick’s Day Recipes | St. Patrick’s Day Desserts | Brown Eyed Baker

36. Pingback: St Patrick's day food and snacks | I am in | Je suis in

37. Pingback: celebrate St. Patrick’s Day « memeinge

38. Pingback: 15 St. Patrick’s Day Recipes | Biz Chicks

39. Pingback: celebrate St. Patrick’s Day | Living Well Kitchen

40. Pingback: Sisterhood: St. Patty’s Day Party | College Lifestyles

41. Amanda on March 7, 2013 at 11:13 am

Ever since using your “Go Penns – All Occasion Sugar Cookies Recipe” for Christmas cookies a few months ago, I have been OBSESSED with making and decorating cookies for special occasions. I’m getting ready to make a few batches for St. Patrick’s Day and I have a few questions about preparing the cookies in advance. In your original recipe, you mention that if the cookies are “wrapped well” they can be stored in the freezer for up to two months. What would you consider “well wrapped”? Would you recommend placing all the cookies, baked and decorated, together in an air-tight container? Or should I individually wrap them? What have your experiences been preserving decorated vs. un-decorated cookies? I was also thinking about preparing about 100 cookies, storing them in the freezer for the week, then decorating them at a later time. Has anyone tried doing this? Thanks for any suggestions!! :)

42. Pingback: St Patrick’s Day Dessert Ideas | Baking Beauty

43. Pingback: 15 St.Patrick’s Day Green Desserts

44. Pingback: Elegant Cakes – Shamrock Shake Cupcakes

45. Pingback: Shamrock Shake Cupcakes | Best Recipes!

46. Pingback: Shamrock Shake Cupcakes | Devil0S' Blog