Top 10 List: Favorite Side Dishes

I definitely love food, but many times my eyes are bigger than my stomach. Especially at holidays or anything “buffet-style”, I will more than likely load up my plate with everything that looks delicious, and usually without fail, I will only eat a fraction of what I piled on. The interesting thing, though, is that I almost always finish my side dishes and will leave a piece of meat out in the cold. At a restaurant, I might take home ½ of a sandwich or burger, but 98% of the time will finish the fries. Thanksgiving? I take the tiiiiiniest piece of turkey, and then pile on the good stuff. Same thing with Easter, and ham. And so this next installment of the Top 10 list is dedicated to side dishes, glorious side dishes.

1. Barbecued Beans – This is a recipe my mom has been making since I was a kid – a baked beans with ground beef recipe that can simmer away in the crock-pot. It was always a New Year’s Eve staple!

2. Best Ever Potato Salad – Seriously, this is the best ever. You’ll want to eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner!

3. Broccoli Salad – The dish that my grandma is famous for. I’m not a huge broccoli fan, but when it’s mixed with bacon and cheese, I could eat it for hours!

4. Classic Bread Stuffing Recipe – Stuffing is probably my very favorite part of Thanksgiving, this is a recipe for a simple, classic recipe.

5. Easy Homemade French Fries – I couldn’t believe how easy these were to make, I will definitely make use of this recipe very, very often.

6. Fresh Green Bean Casserole – This is not your old-school canned green beans/cream of mushroom soup/fried onions casserole. Everything is fresh and homemade, and boy can you taste the difference!

7. Potato Salad with Herbed Balsamic Vinaigrette – I love this spin on potato salad – the herbs and balsamic vinegar give it such a bright, fresh flavor.

8. Roasted Red Potatoes – Roasted potatoes are probably one of my most favorite things, ever. And this has been a favorite recipe of mine for years.

9. Scalloped Potatoes – Another remake of an old favorite into a 100% homemade dish. These scalloped potatoes are so rich and decadent, they deserve their own plate.

10. The Signature Salad – A replication of the salad from Cosi restaurants – mixed greens with diced pears, red grapes, pistachios, dried cranberries and cheese in a vinaigrette. The flavors in this salad are incredible.

What are some of your favorite side dishes??

31 Responses to “Top 10 List: Favorite Side Dishes”

1. Katrina on August 1, 2011 at 2:22 am

I love that you have stuffing in here! It’s one of my favorite foods, and I only make it once a year. This needs to be changed!

2. Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance on August 1, 2011 at 5:14 am

The potatoes with balsamic looks great! Balsamic is my favorite dressing so this might be right up my alley!

3. Lisa Maria on August 1, 2011 at 7:14 am

Wow! These look so good.. can’t wait to try them out. Thanks so much for sharing these recipes. P.S. I’m a ‘sides’ person myself ;-)

4. Drick on August 1, 2011 at 8:23 am

oh yeah, all ten would be on my list too, they look so good… love vegetables and sides myself…

5. Sues on August 1, 2011 at 9:29 am

Such great ideas! I never eat stuffing when it’s not Thanksgiving time, but I may need to change that… :)

6. Maria on August 1, 2011 at 11:05 am

Another great roundup!

7. Courtney on August 1, 2011 at 11:08 am

These all look so good! Thanks for the ideas…I often put so much focus on my main dish I forget about the side dish until the last minute. Let’s face it, frozen bagged vegetables just aren’t very tasty!

8. bakerbynature on August 1, 2011 at 11:09 am

I am now having some major potato cravings after seeing all those great side dishes!

9. CouponClippingCook on August 1, 2011 at 11:57 am

You’ve definitely covered my favorite side dishes with these delicious looking recipes. Anything potato is so delish and I also tend to eat my side dishes first before the meat items!

10. Mrs. Diner on August 1, 2011 at 12:48 pm

This is a good list! Roasted red potatoes are one of my top choices, too!

11. AiXeLsyD13 on August 1, 2011 at 12:49 pm

My dad & I were rabid over the stuffing like you are with scalloped potatoes. All of these recipes look absolutely delicious.

12. Jill on August 1, 2011 at 1:30 pm

The “Best Ever Potato Salad” is exactly that! It was a huge hit the last time I made it. I suspect it’s the bacon. :) Can’t wait to try the others on the list.

13. Elizabeth @cucinagirl on August 1, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Great list! I totally agree with you re: holiday meals and side dishes. I’ve always been one to pile on the more exciting veggie sides and eat just the obligatory bit of turkey. :)

I’m saving your “Best Ever Potato Salad” and french fry recipes for future use!

14. Jamie on August 1, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Stuffing. So good. My favorite part of any meal that involves turkey for sure. My favorite side dish has recently become yam fries. I love there tangy, crispy sweetness.

15. Barbara on August 1, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Nothing says comfort to me like hot vegetables. I love summer succotash right now, green beans with red peppers and shallots in the fall, and squash any time. I’m going to bookmark your green bean recipe!

16. Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) on August 1, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I just printed out every single one of these recipes. Now my stomach is growling.

17. Sarah on August 1, 2011 at 3:57 pm

i am exactly the same!
    my whole family are massive meat eaters, but i prefer veggies and sides, so i’ll only have a small piece of meat, say a single drumstick or only 1 slice of beef, and then pile it up with veggies and whatnot!
    half the time i don’t even finish the meat :D

18. Cristin (Pinkie) on August 1, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Oh those potatoes look so yummy! I printed out your recipe and will try it soon. Thanks for sharing!

19. Laura on August 1, 2011 at 4:21 pm

O my gracious, this is a great list! I totally feel you on your love for sides, especially at holidays. I love stuffing, potato salad, sweet potato anything and roasted vegetables.

20. Ally on August 1, 2011 at 4:45 pm

These recipes all look fantastic! I always find that the same side dishes are often served … but this catalogue gives the classic a fabulous update! xo

21. Ann on August 1, 2011 at 7:23 pm

A-Mazing sides! I love these top 10 posts you’re putting together….

22. Island Vittles on August 1, 2011 at 8:49 pm

A great collection — and so many beautiful photos! Scalloped potatoes are my all time fave…Theresa

23. Karen on August 1, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Your potatoe recipes all look so good and I can’t wait to try them out! The Signature Salad will definitely be on my table some time this week. Thanks!

24. Julie @ Sugarfoot Eats on August 1, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Oooohhhh I’ve bookmarked the scalloped potatoes page!

25. Ellen on August 1, 2011 at 11:47 pm

As a vegetarian, I usually think the sides are the best part of a meal! I could eat a vat of stuffing if it has not actually been stuffed- I always have to check and make sure there is no turkey broth in it.

26. Baking Serendipity on August 2, 2011 at 12:10 am

Those roasted red potatoes look amazing!

27. Jenelle on August 2, 2011 at 4:54 am

Holy smokes! My stomach started making “feed me that please” sounds just scrolling through your posts. Sometimes it is the side dish that makes a meal. Especially when they originate from a potato or contain bacon. I am trying your Best Ever Potato Salad for sure, it’s my fiance’s favorite dish.

28. Peggy on August 2, 2011 at 7:31 am

Fresh green bean casserole is definitely one of my all time favorite sides – so glad to see it on here too!

29. Amanda on August 2, 2011 at 10:54 am

The scalloped potatoes were amazing! My kids loved them too!

30. The Culinary Lens on August 2, 2011 at 1:20 pm

What a wonderful collection of sides. I am hard pushed to pick a favorite but I think best ever potato salad gets my top slot.

31. Tanya on August 4, 2011 at 12:45 pm

I have a killer scalloped sweet potatoe recipe taht is to die for! My family also loves my zucchini and potatoe pancakes. Yummmm