30 of My Favorite Ice Cream Recipes

Did you know that July is National Ice Cream Month? What better excuse to whip out that ice cream maker and churn up some of your favorite frozen treats! Ever since getting my ice cream maker in late 2008, I have been addicted to trying new flavors and am constantly finding new favorites. I honestly feel like I could make a different flavor every week and (1) never run out of new flavors to try; and (2) never get tired of eating freshly churned homemade ice cream! Since I’ve been actively making ice cream for almost four years now, many of my favorite flavors have found their way to the deep recesses of the site archives. It’s time to dig them up for you and celebrate the beauty of a month devoted to ice cream! Stay tuned for more ice cream goodies this week!

Classics

The favorites that you grew up on – they’re freezer staples and go-to flavors when hitting up the local ice cream stand.

Butter Pecan Ice Cream
Chocolate Ice Cream
Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
Pistachio Nut Ice Cream
Rocky Road Ice Cream
Strawberry Ice Cream
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream

Chocolate + Peanut Butter

My obsession with chocolate and peanut butter carries on with these ice cream flavors.

Chocolate Fudge Swirl Peanut Butter Ice Cream
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream
Two-Ingredient Ice Cream: Reese’s Mini Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream

Boozy

From beer to wine and liquor, these recipes cover it all!

Date, Rum and Pecan Ice Cream
Dried Apricot-Pistachio Ice Cream
Guinness-Milk Chocolate Ice Cream

Fruity

Nothing screams summer more than the combination of ice cream and fresh fruit. These are some amazing flavors that take advantage of summer’s fruit bounty.

Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream
Roasted Banana Ice Cream
Toasted Almond and Candied Cherry Ice Cream

Fall and Winter Favorites

Just because the weather starts to cool off in September doesn’t mean you need to put away your ice cream maker… these ice creams are perfect complements to fall and winter desserts.

Cinnamon Ice Cream
Pumpkin Ice Cream

Trendy

These ice creams aren’t quite classics, but they’re all making a big push. They play on some favorite food trends and flavor combinations, and are absolutely phenomenal.

Espresso Ice Cream
Malted Milk Ice Cream
Red Velvet Ice Cream
Salted Caramel Ice Cream
S’mores Ice Cream
Tin Roof Ice Cream

Toppings!

You can’t make a proper ice cream sundae without toppings galore. These are homemade versions of some of your store-bought favorites.

Hot Fudge Sauce
Salted Caramel Sauce

Ice Cream Desserts

When ice cream becomes more than just ice cream. A collection of some fabulous desserts that use ice cream as their main ingredients.

Chocolate Espresso Semifreddo
Cookies and Cream Ice Cream Cake
Homemade Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches
Old-Fashioned Ice Cream Sandwiches
Spumoni Ice Cream Terrine

Etc.

The ice cream maker I currently use: KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker Attachment
Highly rated self-freezing ice cream makers (my next purchase): Whynter SNO and Cuisnart ICE
Don’t have an ice cream maker? Read this post! How to Make Homemade Ice Cream without an Ice Cream Maker
My favorite containers for storing homemade ice cream: Glad FreezerWare

What are some of your favorite ice cream flavors??

27 Responses to “30 of My Favorite Ice Cream Recipes”

1. Karis' Kitchen on July 9, 2012 at 1:16 am

I appreciate the tip on freezer containers. There’s nothing worse than struggling to get the lid off a container (I currently use standard Rubbermaid containers) when you really want some homemade ice cream!

2. Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes on July 9, 2012 at 2:17 am

Ahhh icec ream month…best month ever! :)

3. Paul Eggermann on July 9, 2012 at 6:55 am

I have made most of these ice creams from David Lebovitz’s book also and they are all a big hit with my guests. I can also recommend the Rum Raisin Ice Cream on page 53. I let the raisins macerate for a few days until they absorb all of the rum and are quite plump. This is the best Rum Raisin Ice Cream you will ever taste.

I can also recommend the Chef’s Choice Waffle Cone Express 838 to make great cones. I have my grand kids make them before we have their favorite flavors.

I have been using my Il Gelataio ice cream machine for over 30 years and it runs circles around all the new ones. It can freeze a quart of ice cream in 10 minutes. I hope it never dies.

Thanks for all your work everyday of the week.

4. Penny Wolf on July 9, 2012 at 7:40 am

It depends on the day as to my favorite flavor. I still LOVE your SPUMONI, it’s pretty to look and there are nuts in every layer. This summer is the summer for ice cream! (provided a person has power)

5. Ooooh, thanks for this great post with all these amazing looking recipes! I’m totally on a homemade ice cream making kick right now. Can’t wait to try a couple of these!

6. Angie Huckleby on July 9, 2012 at 8:23 am

Hey Girl!! Thanks for putting all the ice cream recipes in one place….it’s so helpful and makes life just a little easier which we can all use!! Love your recipes and your website/blog. Have a great week!!

7. Maria on July 9, 2012 at 8:41 am

Great post! I want them all!

8. Restaurant supply gal on July 9, 2012 at 9:23 am

With the heat wave in most of the States, this recipe could not come at a better time!

9. SnoWhite @ Finding Joy in My Kitchen on July 9, 2012 at 9:41 am

These are so wonderful! I love ice cream & never need an excuse to make it! In particular, I’m eyeing that blueberry cheesecake ice cream. Thanks.

10. Scorpio Woman on July 9, 2012 at 10:18 am

I have to keep this post. It’s wonderful. I like making ice cream. And also I have to do a recipe tonight. My bowl is already in the freezer since last night. I have heavy cream to use. I’m not sure to do one of your recipe tonight but I printed a few to try later. You have some great recipes of ice cream and great photos.

11. Scorpio Woman on July 9, 2012 at 10:31 am

oh and my favorite and rum & raisin ice cream

12. Riley on July 9, 2012 at 11:06 am

Is it too early for pumpkin ice cream? Hope not because I’ll be churning up some of that this week!

13. Laura Dembowski on July 9, 2012 at 11:12 am

I love ice cream, though I have never made it and don’t eat it often enough. In this crazy heat wave, though it sounds even better. Cinnamon ice cream is my absolute favorite.

14. Nancy @ CouponClippingCook on July 9, 2012 at 11:49 am

Your post is motivation for me to make homemade ice cream. I’ve never made it before and can’t wait to try. Just bought a small ice cream maker so I’m going to bookmark this post. All of your recipes sound so good.

15. May I Have That Recipe on July 9, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Wow!! All this ice cream looks so heavenly!! I love making ice cream!

16. Jackie (Just Add Milk) on July 9, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Thank you for the wonderful recipes. You must have read my mind. I was just telling my son how I wanted to use our ice-cream maker more often. I’ve had it for one year and have not fiddled with it yet. My husband has, though, but hasn’t made any chocolate ice-cream for us… BOO!!! I can’t wait to try some of these!!!!!

17. Stephanie on July 9, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Yay! Any excuse to eat more ice cream is fine by me! ^_^

18. Home Inspections Chicago on July 10, 2012 at 2:42 pm

I don’t even know where to start with all of these… I think maybe the salted caramel topping?!?!? oh my… so much ice cream to make :)

19. Holly on July 10, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Cannot wait to try the salted caramel ice cream! Current favorite is homemade peppermint! Love how the starlight mints turn it soft pink and it’s super refreshing on hot hot summer days (which we seem to have had a lot of recently!).

20. Chris on July 11, 2012 at 8:19 am

This list is so dangerous! I might just have to break out the ice cream maker this weekend and crank some flavors out!

21. Jessica on July 11, 2012 at 9:53 am

Just made your cookies and cream recipe (only with soy milk instead of milk and cream due to allergies), and it received 2 thumbs up all around. Thanks for the great recipes!

What do you do with all the leftover egg whites?

• Michelle on July 24th, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Hi Jessica, So glad you enjoyed the ice cream, one of my new favorites! I usually save the egg whites and use them for omelets.

22. Diana on July 26, 2012 at 8:58 am

Love this list, ice cream is one of my favorite foods! I made Sea Salt Caramel Ice cream the other day and its become one of my favorites for sure!

23. kathreen on December 5, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Thx For recipes. there are give me some idea for new menu for my cafe.

24. Kirsty Moore on May 26, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Hi l have been looking for homemade icecream recipes and love all the recipes you have listed on website , l was just wondering what heavy cream is ?

• Michelle on May 27th, 2013 at 7:59 pm

Hi Kirsty, This is a good reference for what cream refers to in different countries, what the fat % is, etc.: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cream

• Kirsty Moore on May 28th, 2013 at 5:53 am

Thank you for replying to my message , l can’t wait to try your ice cream recipes thank you