Friday Things

Pretty pink sunpatiens!

1. Those pretty pink flowers in the photo above are sunpatiens. I love them and want to plant them at the foot of some large trees we have in beds in our backyard. I think they would be great for a pop of color. Important question for those with a green thumb – will they do okay being in the shade for most of the day? The tag that came with the flowers didn’t say anything about sun, shade, etc.

2. We have totally lucked out with the weather here in DC during our little midweek getaway – it’s absolutely beautiful! Summers in DC can be sweltering; I’m glad we caught a few days of mild weather for our visit. It’s been so nice to walk around outside!

3. I had success last weekend while looking for a wedding dress. I found one that I loved, and I just got a call that it’s finished being altered and ready for me to try on. Moving right along!

4. A few folks have asked how I’m liking my new hair dryer. I went with the Sedu Revolution 6000i. To say I love it is a total understatement. One of the best purchases I’ve made recently! I have naturally curly hair, so blowing it dry straight is usually a total process. With this hair dryer, I can blow it on high speed and it dries in about 5 minutes and is barely frizzy at all! Just a little shine serum or a quick pass of the flat iron is all it needs. It’s a miracle!

5. Speaking of beauty products, I’ve recently discovered Diamancel nail files. I am such a fan of them! I have the No. 2 file, the No. 1 file and the No. 11 foot buffer. The No. 2 file is great for shaping nails, while the No. 1 is more fine, which is better for finishing touches. The foot buffer is good for getting some dead skin off, but I’m thinking that the No. 20 foot rasp would work better for serious cracks or calluses. These files and buffers are pricey, but are supposed to last for years. I’m definitely loving mine so far!

6. After doing a test run of my friend’s Kindle Paperwhite, I went ahead and ordered one of my own. I didn’t think it would happen, but I was totally sold on it! It was so easy to hold and the screen completely mimicked the look of a book, which was easy on my eyes. Of course, I also got a pink cover :)

7. The book that test-drove the Kindle Paperwhite with was Why French Women Don’t Get Fat, which I really enjoyed. It heralds the notion of balanced eating without dieting, which I love. The author speaks a lot about how they ate growing up as children in France, which was actually quite similar to stories I have heard of how my grandfather ate growing up in Italy. Big meals at lunchtime, smaller meals at dinner time, an exorbitant amount of fresh produce, grocery shopping frequently instead of stocking up every two weeks. I definitely recommend it if you love to read about food!

8. One piece of the book talks about how good yogurt (the plain, unsweetened kind) is for you. I then read another article online stating the same thing. Then, a couple of days later, read two articles about how all animal dairy is not good for the human body. Gahhh! I need consistency! It seems like studies about food and medicine are always contradicting each other, right?!

9. I hardly ever order salad as a main course when out to eat, but I’ve ordered two steak salads in the last week. The one I had Wednesday night at Copper Canyon trumped all; cornbread croutons are seriously genius!

10. TGIF! I hope you get some good sleep this weekend! Einstein never has trouble sleeping!

Einy snoozing on the kitchen floor

41 Responses to “Friday Things”

1. Averie @ Averie Cooks on July 26, 2013 at 12:34 am

Ok glad to hear the Sedu is worth it. I have wavy hair and have to blow it straight, then flatiron it, othewise it’s this horrible wave that’s not uniform and there’s straight and curly spots, and so airdrying leaves me with a mishmash of styles so straightening is a must. Now I think I need the Sedu!

2. Tieghan on July 26, 2013 at 12:56 am

Ya on your weeding dress! How exciting!

3. cheryl s on July 26, 2013 at 1:35 am

I have 2 goldens I adore-they are wonderful dogs!

• Michelle on July 26th, 2013 at 8:40 am

They totally are! We are actually getting a second as well!

4. Anne on July 26, 2013 at 3:21 am

I am happy to announce that French women DO get fat. Well, fat, fat is such a negative word. Nicely plump? Cosy? It just seems to happen to them after a certain age. It seems to be the same for women in Spain, Italy and Greece. The way they eat however is briljant, especially when it’s really hot.
    I heard that dairy (especially milk) is good for young children and animals and that, as you get older, you have to cut down on the intake, maybe switch to soy products for some items. And apparently sour dairy products (butter milk, yoghurt etc.) are better for you than non-sour products. Not really sure how that works, but there you have it. (Was told this by a German lady and, later on, by a Czech lady as well). Everything in moderation, and we’ll be alright. ;-)
    Congratulations on the dress!

5. Pieliekamais on July 26, 2013 at 3:43 am

Awesome about the dress!
    Einstein’s complete relaxation mode – ON! :)

6. LJ Dubois on July 26, 2013 at 3:55 am

Hi Michelle! Congrats on the wedding dress *_* Such an exciting time for you and your CCC. We bought “Sun-Patiens” for the first time this year and they are doing great! Our dilemme is that we have several hours of morning shade and then a few hours of intense sun throughout our property ( a lovely natural border of tall , old pine trees surrounds our property which is nice but makes it hard to have flowers in the yard), so neither geraniums nor impatiens do very well in our landscape. These have been blooming since we planted them! we got the hot pink variety and put some yellow gerberas in between , but they are not doing as well. Next year it will be all “Sun-Patiens” all the time. Happy Planting! XO

7. Gail H. on July 26, 2013 at 5:57 am

I really look forward to waking up to your Friday post :) Even tho you always cost me $$$! Great that you found the dress!

8. Jamie @lifelovelemons on July 26, 2013 at 6:20 am

Congrats on finding your wedding dress! How exciting!

9. Sarah Jane on July 26, 2013 at 6:51 am

I am super close to becoming a registered dietitian (I can sit for the exam in December) and animal dairy products are completely fine for people of all ages to eat. There are definitely people who disagree with that, but all of the science and human anatomy and cellular metabolism backs up the fact that animal dairy products are a great source of nutrition and do not harm our bodies. Hope that helps!

10. Dana on July 26, 2013 at 7:22 am

That bottom photo of Einstein is completely hysterical. And the fact that you were able to get that close and not wake him up…too funny!

• Michelle on July 26th, 2013 at 8:37 am

Dana, I took about 10 pictures of him from all different angles over the course of 5 minutes, and he NEVER moved. He was totally out, so funny!

• Rachel on July 26th, 2013 at 9:07 am

I agree Dana, Einstein is too funny. I could stare at that second photo of him for forever.
      1. Your dog is absolutely adorable.
      2. He looks so content when he’s asleep (must be having good doggy dreams). :)

Happy Friday!

11. Jan on July 26, 2013 at 7:35 am

I absolutely love the pics of your Golden. I have one also….izzabella Cannoli…..

12. Melanie @ carmelmoments.com on July 26, 2013 at 8:00 am

That looks like such an awesome dog! Is he/she calm? I need something calm for the kids.

• Michelle on July 26th, 2013 at 8:39 am

Hi Melanie, He is totally awesome. Goldens aren’t spastic, and he’s gotten much calmer as he’s gotten older, but they definitely have energy. That said, I think Goldens are basically the best dogs ever, and they are awesome with kids. In fact, we’re getting another one!

• Laura on July 26th, 2013 at 8:52 am

I second this… Goldens are far and away the best :) I’m biased, as we have a two-year old furbaby myself.. but he truly is my real-life teddy bear.

13. NDMCM on July 26, 2013 at 8:02 am

Sunpatiens is likely a trademarked version of impatiens, bred to thrive in the sun. Hope I got that right….Generally speaking, impatiens do very well in shade and should thrive under your tree, provided the tree roots leave enough soil for you to plant them. Happy gardening.

14. Sue on July 26, 2013 at 8:12 am

Michelle

Here’s more than you ever wanted to know about your Sunpatiens (New Guinea Impatiens)

I think they’ll be fine under the tree – maybe even better!

Always enjoy your blog…….
    Sue

15. barbara on July 26, 2013 at 8:22 am

I LOVE THE FLOWERS BUT LOVE EINSTEIN’S PICTURES BEST ESPECIALLY THE LAST ONE.

16. Cindy D on July 26, 2013 at 8:32 am

So glad you hit the right week for your DC trip…we live outside of DC and the week before was horrible. I didn’t know about “sun patients”,will have to look into them for my extreme sunny spots…love inpatients for the shade(they can survive a little sun). Your dog is too cute! BTW…. Making your blueberry buckle today:-)

17. Effie on July 26, 2013 at 8:32 am

I love your Friday Things posts! And Einstein is adorable, as usual :)

18. Donn on July 26, 2013 at 9:20 am

Here is a direct link to the Sunpatiens web site. They will do fine in partial shade. http://www.sunpatiens.com
    Love your Einstein! We have Yorkies and absolutely love them but I truly believe there isn’t a dog breed that I wouldn’t fall in love with!

19. Kathy on July 26, 2013 at 9:28 am

Love the flowers! Inpatients have always been my favorite but I don’t have anywhere to grow them. Maybe I will try these as they look very similar. I enjoy seeing the pictures of your golden. We have a 6 year old golden and he is the best! Lots of energy but really a great dog, especially with our kids!

20. Hillary on July 26, 2013 at 9:39 am

I love my Kindle! I waited to buy it for a few years and I’m so glad I finally took the plunge. I also enjoyed WFWDGF. I’ve struggled with totally adjusting but I’m slowly but surely getting the hang of it.

21. Janice on July 26, 2013 at 9:51 am

I meant to post when you said you got Fiestaware; the most adorable napkins to use with Fiestaware plates are different color bandanas. I got the idea from a friends mom who had a vintage set. When I went with contemporary Fiesta in all colors, I started picking them up every time I saw a new cool color. Makes a great casual table setting, and they are really useful in the kitchen.

Congrats on the wedding dress!

• Wendy on July 26th, 2013 at 1:02 pm

What a great idea! I have a growing collection of contemporary Fiestware in assorted colors and I’m going to have to give this a try.

22. Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes on July 26, 2013 at 10:23 am

Congrats on finding “the” dress!!! So exciting! Have a great weekend :)

23. Sherri on July 26, 2013 at 11:12 am

EINSTEIN IS SUCH A BEAUTIFUL DOG. OUR DOG, MADDIE IS A GOLDEN ALSO AND SHE SLEEPS THE SAME WAY. ALWAYS ON HER BACK AND FRONT FEET CURLED. SO CUTE! CONGRATS ON FINDING YOUR DRESS!
    SHERRI TRUMAN

24. Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl on July 26, 2013 at 11:33 am

I smile at Einstein with every picture you post, love that pup!

25. Jenny W. on July 26, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Thanks for the book recommendation! I love to read about food so it’s now on my Kindle wishlist. Also, I completely agree….I read about “healthy” food a lot and it’s so confusing!

26. Emily on July 26, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Loved the “French Women Don’t Get Fat” book. I made the croissant recipe from the book for a challenge! Yummy!

27. Carmel on July 26, 2013 at 12:23 pm

How much more content can a pup look!

28. Jaime on July 26, 2013 at 12:29 pm

I read Why French Women Don’t Get Fat last summer and 10 pounds just slipped off in a month! The bigger lunches/smaller dinners idea was completely new to me but really did make a massive difference. And I LOVE how she encourages wine, butter, chocolate and bread (but only the best quality and in small amounts). Such a great book for anyone who loves gourmet cooking but wants to stay slim!

29. Laura on July 26, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Goodness! I just LOVE your Einstein!

30. Marcie @ Flavor The Moments on July 26, 2013 at 4:20 pm

I’ve been to Europe, France being one spot, and I saw so many thin girls walking around eating big, giant croissants. I think they just eat less processed food over there — it’s more fresh and sustainable food with pastries and the like in moderation. It’s hard not eating out of boxes and bags! I’ve read that dairy is bad also, but really, I can’t rule that out. I love my yogurt and cheese too much. I just have to keep exercising like a crazy woman so I can eat what I want. lol

31. Kimi on July 26, 2013 at 9:26 pm

I love when Einstein is in your post.

32. Sue Q on July 26, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Hi,
    Your Sunpatiens, which are technically called New Guinea Impatiens will do really well in the shade. They like partial sun to shade…as long as they get a little bit of sun they should be just fine. Actually when they are in full sun they really tend to dry out very quickly. They also should bloom all summer long. That is what I really love about them and they also have such beautiful leaves on them. I would think they should thrive under the trees. Good Luck! Einstein is so cool :)

33. Melissa @ Treats With a Twist on July 27, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Your so lucky that your wedding planning seems to be rolling right along. I wish you all the luck in the world with that (I’m in the final 2 months before my wedding and am relieved that the “planning” process is almost over. I just wanna party!!).
    I read a ton of books on food and am always annoyed at the inconsistencies! Grr
    And I love pictures of your dog. My golden passed away last summer and pictures of yours make me miss her. Best dog ever. Just the sweetest dogs in the world.

34. Kelly on July 27, 2013 at 7:55 pm

I’ve had my Diamancel foot buffer since 2003 and it still looks and works like it’s brand new. I’m gonna have to check out their other products. Yes pricey, but worth it.

35. Linda Petersen on July 29, 2013 at 10:14 am

Re #8: It’s hard to know who to believe – study results usually come down to who’s paying for the study. Aargh! Isn’t there an impartial third party living anywhere on the planet?