Friday Things

Einstein - November 2013

1. I love this picture of Einstein, such a beauty! :)

And now for the little guy…

Duke & Einstein - November 2013

I am seriously stunned at how large Duke has gotten, especially in relation to Einstein. These two guys are something, aren’t they?! Duke’s personality continues to develop, and it’s fun to see how different he and Einstein are, yet how many of the same mannerisms they have. Duke is going to the vet today for a booster shot and and for some pre-operative blood work for his neuter, which is two weeks from today. Right now, his favorite thing is chewing on Einstein’s face and running laps around the living room at night :)

2. Thanksgiving is less than a week away! I currently have countless to-do and shopping lists fluttering between my purse and multiple notebooks. I hit up the mall on Wednesday to stock up on things you don’t realize you need until you start really thinking through the meal. Case in point: those big curved pitch fork-like things (I believe the proper name is “turkey lifters”). I also realized I would be way short on serving spoons, and a bunch of other random things. BUT… I’m super excited to host a holiday and enjoy the day here at our house!

3. These pictures of a toddler napping with his puppy brother totally made my heart melt.

4. I’ve collected a few new cookbooks recently and already have two favorites that I literally read cover-to-cover.

cookbooks-nov2013

Bountiful was written by Todd & Diane, the husband and wife blogging team from White on Rice Couple. Not only is this book beautifully photographed, but you can just feel their love of good, fresh food and love of family and friends bounding from the pages.

Sweet is a fabulous book of desserts written by Valerie Gordon, the owner of Valerie Confections in Los Angeles. Not only are the recipes beautiful, but I love all of the little stories behind each one. A fantastic read!

5. Have you see the video of a couple performing THE Dirty Dancing dance at their wedding? So much win.

6. Are any of you hardcore Black Friday shoppers and planning to hit up the stores next Friday? I never shopped on Black Friday until five years ago… it was about the third date for me and my Chief Culinary Consultant. We met up after breakfast, did some local shopping, then drove about an hour north to hit up the outlets, had dinner, went home to watch a Penguins hockey game (seriously, it was meant to be), then out for drinks. One of the best dates ever. Now it’s our tradition. We don’t hunt sales or anything; just sleep in, then head up to the outlets for a few hours of some leisurely shopping.

7. I’ll be sharing my Thanksgiving menu on Sunday, so if you’re looking to round out your own menu, be sure to check it out!

8. I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that we had started watching Band of Brothers on demand. We finished it last night and, oh my, what a fantastic series. It was riveting and heart-wrenching. My heart hurts for all that those men saw and experienced.

9. My Chief Culinary Consultant found these 99 Life Hacks That Could Make Your Life Easier a few days ago. Some of them are pretty darn brilliant!

10. TGIF! I hope you have a relaxing weekend before the holiday!

duke-einstein-nov2013

34 Responses to “Friday Things”

1. Jenni @ Traveler in the Kitchen on November 22, 2013 at 12:44 am

Love all the pics of your goldens. That makes every Friday better :)

2. Mediterranean Baby on November 22, 2013 at 12:53 am

No matter how many serving spoons you have, it’s never enough!!! If you’re still shopping for them, I always have a lot of luck at Bed Bath & Beyond. They have great stainless steel serving utensils for a good price! Have a great weekend.

3. Paulette on November 22, 2013 at 3:31 am

Love your newsletter…especially love Einstein and Duke updates and pictures.
    Belated congrats on your marriage.
    Thanks for all you share…appreciate it.

4. Ellen on November 22, 2013 at 3:45 am

I’m looking forward to that Tday menu! Happy weekend:)

5. Sheila on November 22, 2013 at 4:07 am

So look forward to seeing pics of your boys every Friday and can’t believe that last pic of Duke and Einstein side-by-side…Duke really has grown! Love all your posts as well! Good luck with your Thanksgiving preparation.

6. LJ Dubois on November 22, 2013 at 5:53 am

Hi Michelle—-Have just been loving the pix of the pups!! Two beautiful pets it is fun to watch Duke grow and wonderful to see the two of them snuggling. Wish our 3 little kitties got along as well as D. and E.

Happy “First-Thanksgiving-DInner-Celebration” in your lovely new home. Gobble till you wobble. *_*

XO

LindaD

7. Jean on November 22, 2013 at 6:03 am

Love all your recipes! I have so enjoyed all of the updates on Duke and Einstein. Your Friday updates on them are a treat I look forward to. My husband always enjoys their photos as well. What a beauty Einstein is and Duke is becoming one too!
    Hope you and family have a wonderful Thansgiving in your new home.
    Happy Thanksgiving and memory making
    Jean

8. Ruth Anne on November 22, 2013 at 6:23 am

I have been enjoying your blog for more than a year now. I confess I hadn’t noticed the Goldens before now – all the more reason to check in often! Thanks for sharing so many yummy recipes and the photos of your boys. Love them. Happy Thanksgiving from Morocco!

9. Taylor @ greens & chocolate on November 22, 2013 at 7:07 am

I look forward to Fridays just to see pictures of Einstein and Duke! Oh and for your other Friday things too ;) Also looking forward to see your Thanksgiving Menu!

10. Lori on November 22, 2013 at 8:00 am

Michelle,
    One of the things I am thankful for is you and your wonderful blog. I said it before and I’ll say it again. It is the first site I go to in the morning with my cup of coffee. Some of your recipes have become family favorites and others are ear marked in the “gotta try” department. I am hoping that your pumpkin/gingerbraed trifle and salted caramel apple pie will join there place among my Thanksgiving desserts of pumpkin and coconut custard cream pie. (Cooks illustrated has a wonderful recipe for the Coconut) I hope I don’t run out of time….there is a lot of cooking and baking that needs to be done on Wednesday. Any way, I wish you and yours a wonderful Holiday and predict that somewhere down the line, you too will publish a book that would make your Grandmother proud.

11. Diane White on November 22, 2013 at 8:05 am

Just a tip, if you’re looking to load up on serving spoons, head to Party City. They have stainless steel spoons for only $5 or so. I’ve had mine for years and they are great! Dishwasher safe, longer handles, ladles and forks too. Great quality but much less inexpensive than the ones at Bed Bath and Beyond or Williams Sonoma.

12. nancy K on November 22, 2013 at 8:09 am

Seriously, that end of post photo is startling…Duke…aka the puppy… is almost as large as Einstein. Wow! That is amazing. He is becoming “Duke, the Big Yellow Dog”. I was trying to imagine Duke running laps in your house…you must have all your valuables tied down and secured. Both guys are so handsome. Thanks so much for sharing the photos and updates every Friday. I look forward to them.

13. Deborah Harris on November 22, 2013 at 8:11 am

I’m in love with Einstein.

14. Betsy on November 22, 2013 at 8:18 am

Yes, Duke is going to be a BIG GUY–but sooo handsome. FYI, making the salted caramel apple pie for my Thanksgiving Day contribution! Can’t wait…..having it with HOMEMADE ice cream. YUM!

15. Dana on November 22, 2013 at 8:20 am

I love your day after Thanksgiving tradition. I think that the holidays are all about creating your own, meaningful traditions!
    If you liked Band of Brothers, you will also enjoy The Pacific. I didn’t feel quite as connected to the characters, but it was an excellent mini-series nonetheless.
    Happy Friday!

16. Michelle on November 22, 2013 at 8:38 am

I so love the doggie camaraderie! My 18 month old “Golden Boy” is doing laps while chomping on his squeaker toy as we “speak” :) There is nothing like a Golden Retriever. On a more blog related note, I wanted to let you know how great your recipes have been this week. I can’t wait to try one or two for Thanksgiving. I really enjoy everything about your blog – the delicious and down home recipes . . . Duke & Einstein updates . . . Thank you so much and continue the awesome job! Happy Thanksgiving!!

17. Becca @ Crumbs on November 22, 2013 at 8:38 am

Aw that first pic of Einstein is so so cute! Glad to see he’s still in the limelight too =)

18. Kristine Kulish on November 22, 2013 at 8:45 am

Boy your pup has grown fast. The photos of your dogs are so sweet. Happy Thanksgiving!

19. Chelsea @chelseasmessyapron on November 22, 2013 at 9:25 am

Those life hacks are awesome!
    I am definitely a hard core black Friday enthusiast. Already planning things out and can’t wait!

20. Jodi on November 22, 2013 at 9:36 am

I can’t wait to see your T-day menu! I watched that couple dirty dancing…amazing!

21. Kerry on November 22, 2013 at 10:06 am

I can’t believe how large Duke is! That last picture says a lot.

22. Mallory @ Because I Like Chocolate on November 22, 2013 at 10:09 am

Duke and Einstein look so contemplative in the first two pictures, it’s pretty funny!

23. Lucy on November 22, 2013 at 10:27 am

I second that thought on you writing your own cookbook in the not so distant future! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family! It certainly the most wonderful time of the year!!!!!!!

24. Darlene on November 22, 2013 at 11:29 am

If you need regular serving spoons and other serving utensils (not the ones with really long handles), last year I found some really great ones from Oneida at Bed Bath & Beyond for about $7.

25. Nancy Nicholls on November 22, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Loved the Life Hack and cried at the Dirty Dancing, enjoyed the new cookbooks you received and might even order one of them, plus how can you not fall in love with those lovely boys you have! Thanks for giving me a week of pleasure with all your recipes plus your great blog which I always start my day with.

26. Melissa Rearson on November 22, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Serving spoons are pretty reasonable at Marshalls & Homegoods as well! Love the hacks and the street signs picture was from Philly–<3 it ! Adorable doggy pics!

27. Vicki @ WITK on November 22, 2013 at 1:06 pm

OMG, Duke is going to be so big!!! My parents have two girl goldens and they are so petite in comparison! We had our thanksgiving this past wednesday and I used a carving fork and another big fork to lift the turkey out of the pan. No turkey lifters here ;)

28. Sarah on November 22, 2013 at 1:58 pm

When did Duke get so huge? I read your blog each day, but I feel like he grows each pic you post! I think both of them are just adorable…fur babies are the best! I’m making your Gingerbread Pumpkin Trifle for my family’s Thanksgiving, so I’m super excited to see try it out, taste it, and watch people swoon over it! Can’t wait to see your Thanksgiving meal recipes Sunday!

29. Jennifer on November 22, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Hi. Love your website and your style! I was just wondering if you’ve considered neutering Duke when’s he’s a little bit older? I’ve read a lot about the benefits of spaying and neutering when the dog is closer to one year old; as it increases longevity and has greater health benefits to your pet. Just thought I’d mention it, as our puppy’s are about the same age. I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving!! By the way, your dogs are gorgeous!

30. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers on November 22, 2013 at 6:35 pm

I can’t get over how big Duke is getting. Showed my Husband this morning and he said who’s dog is that? I said it’s Duke. He just about fell over when he saw how large he got especially in a couple of weeks. What the heck are you feeding him? :) I also love the picture of Einstein!

31. Rosebud on November 23, 2013 at 10:16 am

Love your two buddies. It was a little hard at first telling the two apart in your last photo but then I saw the white around Einstein’s eyes and knew which was which.
    We gave out bunches of those forked things a few years back and my husband aptly named them Poultry Elevators! Get it? Turkey lifters; poultry elevators. LOL!
    My daughter works at America’s Test Kitchen and they have a lot of really great recipes both online at either America’s Test Kitchen or Cook’s Country. She’s one of the two gals that usually appear with their boss, Chris Kimball, on either show. Her name is Bridget Lancaster. She also teaches some of their cooking classes. They have an abundance of delicious recipes that you might want to check out sometime.
    Hope you and yours have a successful, tasty Thanksgiving. Bless you all.

• Michelle on November 23rd, 2013 at 11:47 pm

So great to hear from you! I am definitely familiar with Bridget from watching the show, how fun! I love all of the ATK recipes; I always check there first when I’m looking for recipes to reference!

32. Kathleen on November 25, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Wow!!! I cannot believe how BIG Duke is!! He’s humongous! He is definitely going to eclipse Einstein….at least they’re good buddies!

33. Laura Dembowski on November 26, 2013 at 9:18 pm

So cute about you and your CCC doing black Friday shopping! You so do it right, just going to have fun!