This bread pudding makes for a delicious dessert
- 2egg yolks
- ¼teaspoonground nutmeg
- 1teaspoonground cinnamon
- 1cupripe bananas(pureed or finely mashed (about 2 medium bananas))
- 1teaspoonvanilla extract
- 1cupgranulated sugar
- ½cuplight brown sugar(firmly packed)
- 1¾cupsheavy cream
- 1large French bread loaf(about 5-6 cups torn up)
For the Bananas Foster Sauce:
- ½cupunsalted butter
- ½cupfirmly packed brown sugar
- 1/3cupheavy cream
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°.
- 2. In a large bowl combine the eggs and egg yolks and whisk until frothy.
- 3. Add in nutmeg, cinnamon, banana puree, and vanilla extract. Whisk until fully incorporated.
- 4. Add granulated sugar and brown sugar, whisking until fully incorporated.
- 5. Add in cream and whisk until incorporated.
- 6. Add bread pieces to egg mixture. Miix with a spoon or spatula until the bread has absorbed most of the custard mixture.
- 7. Pour the mixture into an 8x8 baking dish. Let sit for 30 minutes.
- 8. Place bread pudding in a slightly larger pan and add about 1 inch of hot water to the larger pan to make a water bath.
- 9. Bake uncovered for approximately 1 hour, or until the custard is no longer runny. Serve warm with Bananas Foster Sauce.
- 1. To make the Bananas Foster Sauce: Heat a large skillet over low heat.
- 2. Add butter and brown sugar and cook, stirring constantly, just until sugar begins to melt into butter.
- 3. Add banana slices. Moving the skillet back and forth, cook for 1 minute.
- 4. Remove skillet from heat and add the rum. Return the pan to the stove and tilt the pan to ignite the rum.
- 5. After the alcohol burns off add the cream. Whisk to make sure it is fully incorporated.