No-Bake Butterfinger Pie
I’m about to blow your mind. For as much I love and adore peanut butter, I have never, ever been a fan of Butterfinger candy bars. This must be some sort of blasphemy in the world of peanut butter love, right? My Chief Culinary Consultant and his parents had to pick their jaws up off the floor when I dropped this bombshell on them last weekend. I’m not sure what it is – maybe it’s because the candy bar is crunchy? A little bit too sweet, even for me? I can’t put my finger on it, but they’ve just never done anything for me.
After Halloween last week, we had quite a bit of candy leftover. I’ve been knocking out the peanut butter cups left and right, but those Butterfinger bars were hanging around in the bowl. A reader on the BEB Facebook page mentioned making Butterfinger Pie with her leftovers, and I was suddenly intrigued. This sounded like something I could get behind!
I did some searching online and found no less than a gazillion different recipes and versions of Butterfinger Pie. The common elements seemed to be a crust, a mousse/custard filling, and chopped Butterfinger bars. I took that and ran with it. First up, an Oreo crust, naturally. I need to have that chocolate/peanut butter combination! I mocked up the filling for my no-bake banana split dessert by adding peanut butter and stirring in chopped Butterfinger bars. I topped the pie with Cool Whip, a drizzle of chocolate syrup and a couple more chopped Butterfinger bars. (Yes, you could skip the Cool Whip and replace with fresh whipped cream, but the shelf life will go down to about a day, two at the most.)
The result? A quite decadent and dreamy dessert that can be made in less than 15 minutes. Also? I loved the Butterfinger bars chopped up in the pie! Totally delicious. The only downside is that I couldn’t stop eating it!
What’s your favorite way to use up leftover candy (other than eating it or giving it away!)?
One year ago: Cloverleaf Dinner Rolls
Two years ago: Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
Three years ago: Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Four years ago: Soft Cheese and Pepperoni Bread
No-Bake Butterfinger Pie
For the Crust:
- 24 Oreo cookies, crushed into crumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
For the Filling:
- 8 ounces (226.8 g) cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ cup (129 g) creamy peanut butter
- ¼ cup (50 g) granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 8 ounces (226.8 g) Cool Whip
- 8 Fun Size Butterfinger candy bars, coarsely chopped
For the Topping:
- 4 ounces (113.4 g) Cool Whip
- Chocolate syrup
- 2 Fun Size Butterfinger candy bars, coarsely chopped
- Make the Crust: Combine the Oreo cookie crumbs and the melted butter in a medium bowl and toss with a fork until the crumbs are evenly moistened. Transfer the crumbs to a 9-inch pie plate. Press the crumbs evenly into the bottom and up the sides of the pan, forming a crust. Place the lined pie plate in the freezer while preparing the filling.
- Make the Filling: Beat together the cream cheese, peanut butter, sugar and salt on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the Cool Whip until completely combined, then fold in the chopped Butterfinger candy bars. Pour filling into the prepared crust and smooth into an even layer. Top with the remaining 4 ounces Cool Whip, then refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Before serving, drizzle with chocolate syrup and top with additional chopped Butterfinger candy bars. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator, covered with plastic wrap, for up to 3 days.