Cap’n Crunch Milkshake
It has come to my attention that there are two types of cereal eaters out there – those that like their cereal to remain crunchy, and those that like their cereal to be soggy, soaking up as much milk as possible. My husband and I are in two vastly different camps when it comes to our cereal-eating habits. I only pour enough milk into the bowl to barely cover the cereal and love my cereal crunchy. My husband, on the other hand, drowns his cereal in milk and lets it sit for five to 10 minutes before eating it so that it gets nice and soggy.
Neither of us can understand the other’s cereal-eating habits, but when I saw Heidi make a Cinnamon Toast Crunch milkshake with milk that had been infused with cereal, I knew it was something that my husband would love. I decided to make a version using one of his favorite guilty pleasure cereals – Cap’n Crunch.
The cereal-infused milk is a technique used in the Momofuku Milk Bar cookbook and totally mimics the soggy cereal that my husband is so fond of… I combined it with the ratios that I typically use for milkshakes and it turned out fabulous. You can adjust the amount of ice cream or milk to make a thicker or thinner milkshake; this one is nice and thick, but still able to be slurped up using a straw. Whipped cream and extra cereal on top for good measure, of course!
Tell me – what kind of cereal eater are you, and what’s your favorite guilty pleasure cereal?
Cap'n Crunch Milkshake
- 1 cup (236.59 g) Cap'n Crunch cereal, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup (244 ml) milk
- 2 cups (264 g) vanilla ice cream
- In a small bowl, combine the cereal and milk. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add the milk and cereal mixture and vanilla ice cream to a blender and puree on medium speed until smooth and creamy.
- Divide between two glasses and top with whipped cream and additional cereal, if desired.