Cucumber-Tomato Bruschetta Appetizer
So, I received a challenge of sorts. The folks at Kraft asked if I would be interested in taking part in a recipe contest with two other food bloggers. They explained that the contest entailed creating a menu (appetizer, main dish, and dessert) that included their Breakstone’s sour cream. I immediately said yes. I think that most of you know me by now and know that I am 100% authentic. I won’t hawk something that I don’t use just for the sake of a freebie, and recipe contests are no different. I accepted this challenge because I have been using the Breakstone’s brand of sour cream for years and have always been happy with it.
I created this menu while watching the remnants of February’s blizzard slowly melt away and dreaming of warmer, sunnier days. Coming out of winter with the onslaught of heavy meals and rich desserts between Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas, New Year’s, Super Bowl parties, and Valentine’s Day, I think everyone is feeling an urge for lighter fare. This menu was designed with a spring brunch or lunch in mind, or even a light supper. Not only are these dishes bright and light, they are also quick and easy to prepare, which is perfect for warmer days when no one wants to be stuck inside slaving over the stove for long periods of time when there is sunshine to enjoy.
I wanted to create an appetizer that had enough visual appeal to be a star at a fancy shower or tea party, while still being simple enough to assemble that it could be made at a moment’s notice. The bruschetta consists of cucumber, tomato and red onion, is tossed in a creamy, tangy dressing, and brought to life with fresh herbs. The phyllo cups are the perfect vehicle to serve the bruschetta, and the ability to pick up and eat them without needing a plate or utensil is a huge benefit for any hostess!
In the next two weeks you will also be seeing my main dish – Italian Chicken Salad Sandwich on Ciabatta with Pesto Spread – and my dessert – Honey-Vanilla Sour Cream Pound Cake. Both are absolutely delicious and perfect for any occasion over the coming months. Consider this menu a great big welcome party for spring and summer! Bring on the sun!
Cucumber-Tomato Bruschetta in Phyllo Cups
- 1 medium cucumber, finely diced
- 1 (1 ) tomato, seeded and finely diced
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- ¼ cup (59.5 ml) Breakstone's Sour Cream
- 3 Tablespoons cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- ½ teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt
- ¼ teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) freshly ground black pepper
- 2 packages phyllo cups, found in the freezer section
- 1. Remove phyllo cups package from freezer – they will come to room temperature while you assemble the rest of the appetizer.
- 2. In a medium bowl, toss the cucumber, tomato and onion to combine.
- 3. Using a spoon, mix the sour cream and cream cheese in a small bowl. until thoroughly combined. Stir in lemon juice, salt, pepper, chives and parsley.
- 4. Toss the vegetables with the sour cream mixture to combine.
- 5. Spoon the bruschetta into each phyllo cup, filling each evenly.
- 6. Top with finely chopped chives and serve.
Disclaimer: This post was sponsored by Breakstone’s sour cream in conjunction with the recipe contest.[/donotprint]