1. This little guy is feeling allll better after his little bronchial infection a couple of weeks ago. He had his last dose of antibiotics this week and is definitely back to his rowdy little self.
2. I have tried at least five times to get a sourdough starter going. Each and every time I have failed miserably, and had pretty much given up last November. I’m not sure what lit the fire again, but I decided to give it another go this week and – shocker of all shockers – it took! I have a sponge sitting overnight and will tackle my loaves tomorrow… I’m crossing my fingers it actually works! If so, I’ll be sharing all of the steps, tips and recipes soon!
3. I’ve always loved peanut butter a million times more than almond butter, and part of the problem was that I had yet to find an almond butter that I really liked. I recently tried Barney Butter smooth almond butter and LOVED it – it’s super smooth and not at all gritty.
4. This video of a volunteer group rescuing stray dogs on the streets of Los Angeles made my heart melt. (h/t Foodie Crush)
5. If you are a canner and use Ball brand jars, they have recently come out with new guidelines on prepping their lids. Be sure to read up before you make another batch!
6. Many of you often ask about gluten-free substitutions in recipes, and I just found out that America’s Test Kitchen came out with a new book this past spring – The How Can It Be Gluten-Free Cookbook. Along with recipes, with book includes information on the science behind gluten, how to successfully replace wheat in recipes and troubleshooting suggestions. If you cook and bake gluten-free, it looks like it would be a great resource!
7. Love the concept of this stripped down smartphone to limit distractions. I’m thinking of doing an app purge on mine to see how streamlined I can get it. I’m definitely guilty of staring at my phone while in line at the grocery store, during commercial breaks, etc.
8. Football season officially started last night! I didn’t have a real rooting interest in the Seattle/Green Bay game last night, but I spent time getting all of my different fantasy leagues situated. This year I’m in our usual fantasy football league, as well as a pick ’em league (picking against the spread, which I’m horrible at), and a survivor pool. Let the games begin!
9. I had my 20-week doctor’s appointment this week (even though I’m currently 21 weeks) and everything is going smoothly! My weight and blood pressure are good, the baby’s heartbeat is nice and strong, and I’ve finally started to feel him move! It started a few weeks ago with “flutters” and last week I began to feel actual kicks. When the doctor was listening to the heartbeat, she said she could feel the vibrations from the kicks. At the next appointment is my glucose test, eek!
10. TGIF! I hope you enjoy the first full weekend of September! (Duke thought Einstein needed a bath.)
I have never commented before but have been coming to your site for quite a while now and received great reviews after making many of your recipes. I just had a baby girl so now I feel like I can relate beyond the love food as well. Keep the glucose drink cold, it helps a lot and the fruit punch one I think it was wasn’t so bad. Don’t stress about it too much. I wound up with the follow up 3 hour glucose test and it was all for nothing but I just kept telling myself if there is anytime to be extra cautious this is it.
Related to the change in preparation of jar lids for canning, I read the website and sent it out to several people I know who have in the past, or currently, do canning or jam-making. I heard back from a friend (a Professional Home Economist) who is up to speed on these things and has written several books on food preservation. She told me that Bernardin Canada, that also makes jars, changed their recommendations on this several years ago – her book published 2007 has the new instructions so the change was sometime before then, as her 2001 book had the prior instructions. She also thinks Ball has bought Bernardin, so my theory is that perhaps they are merging recommendations. I looked up the Bernardin site and it says ‘hot, not boiling’ there also http://www.bernardin.ca/pages/step_by_step___your_guide_to_home_canning/32.php
And who would think to read the instructions on the lid box, when you have done the same thing for so many years!
I am unable to let the person at the other website know as I do not DO social media, and that is the only contact info provided.
My next baby-appointment is my glucose test, too. I’m not looking forward to it, although the worst part will probably be having my blood drawn. I’m glad everything is going well for you and that your doggy is feeling better.
You know you can just drink orange juice for your glucose test? The bottle they give you from dr. office is just horrible chemicals, if you ask you can do bring your own orange juice and it does the same.
Glad the pregnancy is going well – hope the sourdough starter works out and you’re able to make the loaves – will try your recipe if it works since mine never ever comes out right. The two fur babies look great – glad that they are both healthy at this point:)
THANK YOU for giving a shout out to Hope for Paws! I couldn’t help but become a monthly donor after watching their videos. They’re amazing!
Looking forward to hearing about your sourdough starter. I tried a couple of times last year and gave up. I have a grain mill which I have used for years to mill fresh wheat and bake our bread. I wanted to use fresh wheat, so I don’t know if that was a problem or something else. I have been thinking about ordering a starter, but I am not sure about that either. Some fresh sourdough bread sounds wonderful for this fall/winter. Have a wonderful weekend and enjoy your pregnancy. It’s the wonderful miracle of life that women get to experience.
Glad Duke is back on track! I know how hard it is to see a sick fur baby! I’m sure Einstein is happy he’s feeling better, too!
I’ve been thinking about slimming down my iPhone apps, but I just use my phone for everything! I don’t know if I’m ready yet!
Glad to hear the good news about your little one. I loved being pregnant that first time (I enjoyed both pregnancies, but the first is special) – enjoy it while you can! But I really, really wanted to see what that little guy I was carrying looked like!
Have a great weekend – can’t wait to see how you sour dough turns out!
Lol– everyone complains so much about the glucose test, but I didn’t think it was any big deal. I actually LIKED the taste of the drink they give you! It reminded me of orange soda that I liked when I was a kid! So nice to hear about your kicks. I had anterior placenta with both of my kids and since the placenta was between them and the front of my belly, it muffled nearly all the kicks! I wish movement was something I got to experience. It sounds so cool!
Hi Jen, Mine is anterior as well, but the baby is currently breech, so I’m feeling all the movement REALLY low.
Hi Michelle and happy Friday! I hope you sourdough turns out! I’d love to try it this winter on a cold snowy day :)! That’s such good news on the baby, good luck with your test and as usual, your furry babies look so lovable!
have a great weekend, loving all of the doggy pictures =)
Oooh, I hope your sourdough loaves work out because I’d love how to make some starter! My mom used to make sourdough all the time, but she was always given the starter… Thanks for sharing!
LOVE your recipes! Congrats on your baby boy. My daughter is expecting her first child this November, my first grandchild so much excitement.
Oh that video really made me cry …even though it had a happy ending, it was just so sad. :( I don’t understand how people can abandon animals or harm them. I will never ever understand that.
Beautiful shots of the pups! Glad they are doing well. Get the lemon-lime flavor for your glucose test. It tastes better than the others! :) So cool when the little one starts moving! Enjoy!
Ugh – the glucose test! It’s such a racket – do you know it’s based on this one old, poorly done study? I refused to do it on my last 2 pregnancies. Aside from that, isn’t it so cool that you can say you can feel HIM kick? Love that. Loved having the boy first, I would have been happy with a girl, of course, but I feel like oldest girls get more of the “2nd mommy” syndrome than a boy does.
Have a great weekend, Michelle! I am so addicted to your recipes! Only very kind and giving person could pull such an amazing blog! Keep it up, Michelle! Best of luck!
Friday Things, wow so many but more importantly you are feeling great and your little guy is feeling so much better. Have a great weekend too and the glucose test will be fine xoxo