Light and fluffy muffins, perfect for a mid afternoon snack
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2cupsall-purpose flour
- 2teaspoonsbaking powder
- ¼teaspoonbaking soda
- ¾cupsour cream
- 1teaspoonpure vanilla extract
- ½cupunsalted butter(melted and cooled)
- 2tablespoonspoppy seeds
- 1. Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Butter or spray the 12 molds in a regular-size muffin pan or fit the molds with paper muffin cups.
- 2. In a large bowl, rub the sugar and lemon zest together with your fingertips until the sugar is moist and the fragrance of lemon strong. Whisk in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a large glass measuring cup or another bowl, whisk the sour cream, eggs, vanilla, lemon juice and melted butter together until well blended. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and, with the whisk or a rubber spatula, gently but quickly stir to blend. Don't worry about being thorough - a few lumps are better than over mixing the batter. Stir in the poppy seeds. Divide the batter evenly among the muffins cups.
- 3. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the tops are golden and a thin knife inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a rack and cool for 5 minutes before carefully removing each muffin from its mold. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature.
- *Note: The recipe calls for a glaze but I didn't use it.