The perfect snack for movie night
- 4slicesbacon(cooked and grease reserved)
- 1tablespoonmaple syrup
- ½cupcorn kernels for popping
- ¼cupcooking oil(use the reserved bacon grease and add extra vegetable/canola/olive oil to make ¼ cup)
- 3tablespoonsgranulated sugar
- 1. Fry the bacon in a skillet until brown and crisp. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain and cool. Once cool, chop into small pieces and toss with the maple syrup.
- 2. Measure out the reserved bacon grease into a measuring cup. If you don't have a ¼ cup, add vegetable, canola or olive oil to make ¼ cup total.
- 3. Put the cooking grease/oil in a large pan and add the corn kernels. Sprinkle with the sugar and 1 teaspoon of the salt. Heat the stove to medium heat, cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid and wait until you hear the first couple of kernels pop.
- 4. Once the popping begins, use two pot holders to hold lid on the pot and shake the pot, then return to the burner. Continue to do this often throughout the popping process, every minute or two. This will help ensure that the sugar doesn't burn.
- 5. Once the popping is done, remove the lid and salt the popcorn with the remaining ½ teaspoon of salt. Use a large spoon to stir the popcorn. Pour in the bacon and maple syrup mixture. Toss together and serve.
- Note 1: If you've never made popcorn on the stovetop you may find this tutorial helpful: How to Make Perfect Homemade Popcorn.
- Note 2: If you reaaallly love bacon, you will probably want to double the amount of bacon and maple syrup in this recipe. I plan to do that next time!