A delicious risotto recipe, perfect for a weeknight meal
- 2tablespoonsolive oil
- 1cupchopped yellow onion
- 12ouncescleaned and sliced crimini mushrooms
- 3tablespoonschopped fresh parsley
- 1tablespoonchopped fresh thyme
- 1cuppearl barley
- 6cupsvegetable broth
- 1tablespoonunsalted butter
- ½cupparmesan cheese(shredded)
- 1. Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Saute onion until it starts to brown, about 5 minutes.
- 2. Add the mushrooms and saute until they have released all of their liquid and are golden brown, about 10 minutes. You can add 1 to 3 tablespoons of water if they start to stick.
- 3. Stir in the herbs and garlic, then add the barley and stir to coat for 1 minute. Add 4 cups of the broth and bring to a boil over high heat.
- 4. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is absorbed. Reduce the heat to medium and add more broth, ½ cup at a time, stirring until each addition is absorbed, until the barley is tender but still slightly firm. You may not use all of the broth, but you will use most of it.
- 5. Remove the pan from the heat and add the butter and cheese, stirring until incorporated. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.