No-Bake Snowball Cookies (Paleo, Gluten-Free)
This paleo/gluten-free version of traditional snowball cookies uses dates to bind the cookies together, includes coconut, and they are totally addicting!
These little faux snowball cookies are so, SO good!
In December, my sister decided to give up sugar/flour for an entire year, which is a way more lofty goal than I could ever set for myself. Since she was tackling this over the holidays, my mom made her some Paleo and gluten-free treats that she could enjoy while everyone else was elbow-deep in Christmas cookies. These snowball cookies were one of them, and I was utterly stunned when I had one – they were unbelievable! I know many of you have been interested in more Whole30-type recipes, so I wanted to share this with you since my husband and I are now on our THIRD batch!
Let me add this quick disclaimer – when I go on a healthy eating bender, I cut out the sweets, the carb snacks, eat more fruits and vegetables, etc. One thing I have never been into is “fake” desserts, and I totally gave these the side eye when my sister offered me one, but they were way, way better than I anticipated.
These faux snowball cookies are made with ground pecans, shredded coconut, coconut oil, dates, arrowroot, and some salt and vanilla extract. We were so smitten with these when my sister offered us samples that my mom made us our own batch a week later. We blew through those, so I made another double batch last weekend. They’re so easy to make and you can make as little or as many as you’d like!
If you’re doing (or have done) the Whole30, then you know that they advise no snacking if you can help it and not to make Paleo versions of treats. However, I’m a big believer in doing what works for you, so if popping one of these little babies at night keeps me from diving head-first into a bag of chocolate chips, I think I’m still way ahead of the game. Plus, if you have any family or friends that are gluten-free, this would be a perfect recipe to make so they can still enjoy a sweet treat at the holidays or a get-together.
I love the combination of dates, coconut and pecans – they’re very reminiscent of the date, coconut and walnut truffle recipe that my mom has made for decades. I hope you’ll give these a try and love them as much as we do!
Watch How to Make No-Bake Paleo Snowball Cookies:
No-Bake Date & Pecan Snowball Cookies
- 1 cup (99 g) pecan halves
- ½ cup (46.5 g) shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup (147 g) soft Medjool dates, pitted (about 10 dates)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) sea salt
- ½ teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) vanilla extract
- ½ cup (64 g) arrowroot, or tapioca starch
- Extra arrowroot, for rolling
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Place the pecans and shredded coconut in the bowl of a food processor and process until the pecans are finely ground. Add all of the remaining ingredients and process until a sticky dough is formed (if you grab a small amount of the mixture and pinch it between your fingers, it should stick together).
- Scoop tablespoonfuls of dough and shape into balls, then place on the prepared baking sheet and freeze for at least 1 hour.
- Place extra arrowroot powder in a small bowl and roll the snowballs to coat. Store the snowballs in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.