A hearty and comforting soup
- 1package sweet Italian sausage(casings removed)
- ½large or 1 medium onion(finely chopped)
- 4carrots(thinly sliced)
- 4stalks celery(thinly sliced)
- 28oz.can diced tomatoes
- 1can red kidney beans(drained and rinsed)
- 1can white cannelini beans(drained and rinsed)
- 64oz.beef broth
- 28oz.can tomato sauce
- 2teaspoonsdried parsley
- 1/2teaspoondried basil
- 4oz.small dry pasta
- 1. Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large stockpot over medium high heat, and brown the sausage, crumbling it as it cooks. Once brown, remove sausage from pot with a slotted spoon and discard any grease that remains in the pot.
- 2. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon of butter in the same pot, and add the onion, garlic, carrot, and celery, and saute over medium heat until vegetables are soft, about 8 minutes. Add sausage back to the pot, add the can of diced tomatoes (do not drain), stir briefly, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 3. Stir in the beans, and add the beef broth and tomato sauce. Add in all of the seasonings, stir well, turn the heat to high and bring the soup to a boil. Once it boils, turn down to low heat, cover, and simmer for at least 30 minutes.
- 4. Add the dry pasta and continue to simmer on low for another 30 minutes. Serve with your favorite bread or crackers.