White Chocolate Steamers
Merry Christmas Eve!
My shopping is finally done, everything is wrapped, and I’m ready to relax and enjoy some holiday cheer. I kicked off the holiday celebrations yesterday at my grandparents’ and tonight my mom hosting a Christmas Eve feast, which will feature a lot of seafood… a modified Italian seven fishes dinner. No holiday celebration is complete without a fun, festive drink, right?! Yesterday my grandma was serving her famous cranberry ginger ale, raspberry rum and triple sec mixer (huge YUM), and tonight we’ll be mixing up these fabulous spiked white hot chocolate drinks. My aunt and her girlfriends had these at a local restaurant and loved them so much that they asked the bartender for the recipe. He was nice enough to share it with them, and a few weeks ago she shared it with me. I was immediately smitten and thought you would be, too.
The drink is a mixture of ground white cocoa, whipped cream vodka, steamed milk, whipped cream and candy canes. Totally festive… and utterly spectacular. The bartender told my aunt that they use Ghiradelli Sweet Ground White Chocolate Powder, so she ordered a container online and then shared some with me so I could give the drinks a whirl. You can find the whipped cream vodka at most liquor stores; this is the type that I bought:
If your family likes to enjoy spiked beverages at the holidays, this would be a perfect one for sipping while opening presents or sitting by the fire. Even if you don’t have white chocolate, it’s a great inspiration for amping up your traditional hot chocolate. Throw in a splash of your favorite liquor, some crushed candy canes for a rush of peppermint, and top with lots of whipped cream. Drinks such as these are even better next to the glow of a Christmas tree!
I wish you a wonderful, warm Christmas Eve with those you love.
(And make sure you go to bed early… Santa won’t stop if you’re still awake! ;-))
White Chocolate Steamers
- 6 tablespoons Ghiradelli Sweet Ground White Chocolate
- 3 ounces (85.05 ml) whipped cream vodka, (2 shots )
- 2 candy canes, crushed, plus more for garnish
- 24 ounces (680.39 ml) steamed or warmed milk
- Whipped cream
- Place 1½ tablespoons of the ground white chocolate in four 8-ounce mugs. Add ½ of a shot to each mug and stir together with the ground chocolate. Sprinkle in a quarter of the crushed candy canes and stir.
- Slowly pour the hot milk into each mug. Top with whipped cream and more crushed candy canes, if desired.