Pepperoni Bread

My grandma is famous for her pepperoni rolls. She has made them for as long as I can remember and I always gobble them up as soon as I can get my hands on them. I’ve been wanting to try to make them but was a little nervous about messing up a “classic”. Tonight I finally made them and they turned out GREAT.

The “recipe” is not much of one, and it is super simple! I didn’t measure anything, just went on sight, and the knowledge that I like a lot of pepperoni!

Pepperoni Bread

1 loaf frozen (or refrigerated) bread dough
Sliced pepperoni
Shredded mozzarella cheese

1. Allow the frozen bread dough to thaw/raise throughout the day. When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

2. Cut the dough in half and roll out two rectangles. Layer the pepperoni on the dough, and then cover with mozzarella cheese. Roll up lengthwise and seal the ends and seam and place seam-side down on the baking sheet.

3. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown and the cheese is bubbling.

Become a Fan on Facebook

55 Responses to “Pepperoni Bread”

1. Carrie on May 4, 2007 at 7:25 am

I might have to try these! They look amazing!

2. Lauren on May 4, 2007 at 8:58 am

aw, grammie’s recipe!! mmmmmm so good! can you ship one home to me today so i get it tomorrow? you know me and being domestic, we don’t go!

love ya!

3. Kayte on May 11, 2007 at 9:33 pm

bwahahaha! looks delicious!

4. sarah on May 22, 2007 at 4:07 pm

I really want to try this! What kind of frozen bread dough do you use?

5. Marie Norris on December 31, 2007 at 7:11 pm

Hi honey…..these look just like grams….she would be proud if she could see your blog and her pepperoni rolls on it! They look delicious!…..Love, Mom

6. sweetteaintexas on January 28, 2008 at 5:55 pm

Thanks again for the yummy recipe. My husband loved them. I thought they were pretty delicious too.

7. Michelle on January 28, 2008 at 5:57 pm

You’re welcome! I’m glad that you and your husband enjoyed them!

8. Liz on May 1, 2008 at 10:24 am

We made these last night, and they were delicious! Thanks for posting!

9. Danielle on May 21, 2008 at 2:07 pm

YUM! These were delicious, thank you for sharing. I always use Rhodes Frozen Bread Dough it is the closest to homemade. Thanks!

10. Mandy on September 21, 2008 at 3:58 pm

Oh my! These look so wonderful and simple. Right up my alley and just in time for Denver Bronco Season.

Thanks so much! I’m adding you to my RSS feeds, will definitely be back.

Mandy

11. megan on November 12, 2009 at 9:23 am

I’ve made these too, and they are delicious. Good idea cutting the dough in half. I always make one long roll and it gets to be pretty big. Do you thaw it in the refrigerator? If so, do you let it warm up at room temp before attempting to roll? This part is always hard for me for some reason.

12. Jane on February 15, 2010 at 7:22 pm

I am making these right now! My daughter loves them. Wonderful blog. Thank you!

13. Jennifer on April 1, 2010 at 11:25 am

I am new to your blog and had to comment on these! I am from about 2 hours north of Pittsburgh and pepperoni rolls are a staple of living! The only thing different that we do is brush with garlic butter. Either way, they are DELICIOUS!

14. Pingback: 10 of My Favorite Recipes | Brown Eyed Baker

15. Pingback: Banana Nut Bread | Brown Eyed Baker

16. Keeley on September 17, 2010 at 10:14 am

I absolutely love pepperoni bread. Mine always “explodes” in the oven! I’m going to try it your way. It looks simple and yummy!

17. Monika on November 21, 2010 at 6:39 pm

I made this tonight, and it turned out very good. I couldn’t find frozen bread dough anywhere, so I used fresh pizza dough instead. It turned out very well with the pizza dough. Since the pepperoni can be tad salty and overwhelming, having some tomato dipping sauce (e.g. marinara sauce) on the side would be perfect.

• Michelle on November 22nd, 2010 at 10:01 pm

Pizza dough is a great alternative for these! So glad you liked them!

18. Jenny on December 6, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Turkey pepperoni is a good alternative. It’s flavor isn’t as overwhelming and it less greasy. Still tastes great. Mine always explodes too no matter how hard I try to seal the seams. I’ll have to try splitting the dough in half.

19. Pingback: 45 Super Bowl Recipes for Super Bowl XLV | Brown Eyed Baker

20. Meghan on January 31, 2011 at 12:00 pm

I’ve made this before but I actually made cuts into the frozen dough & stuffed it that way! Going to have to try your method as well!

21. Pingback: Top 10 Best Dip and Appetizer Recipes | Brown Eyed Baker

22. Pingback: 150 Best Fall Recipes | Brown Eyed Baker

23. Pingback: 150 Best Fall Recipes | Biz Chicks

24. Pingback: Top 10 List: Favorite Appetizer Recipes | Biz Chicks

25. Nancy on October 17, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Does this recipe make 2 when you said Cut the dough in half and roll out two rectangles I wasn’t sure. I am going to make these for my party Friday night. Thanks

• Michelle on October 18th, 2011 at 11:41 pm

Hi Nancy, Yep, it makes 2!

26. Nancy on October 19, 2011 at 3:41 am

Thanks

27. Pingback: Super Super Bowl Suggestions | Brown Eyed Baker

28. Pingback: Homemade Restaurant Style Salsa | Brown Eyed Baker

29. Mallory on November 27, 2011 at 11:55 am

These are a staple in West Virginia! Available at all gas stations and grocery stores. Homemade are much better though.

30. Katie on December 28, 2011 at 9:40 am

I used to work for a bakery that made the most amazing pepperoni rolls. The cheese always oozed out a little and got really crispy on the parchment. That was the best part! I;’ll have to make these!

31. Kim on January 16, 2012 at 10:41 am

I think this a West Virginian thing, too (there’s a whole wikipedia page on it). My husband has raved about the Pepperoni Rolls at the Donut Shop in Buckhannon, WV for as long as I have known him. When we finally made it there to try them, he was in heaven. Since we live over 1000 miles away, I love making them for him and giving him a little taste of nostalgia. I have used a standard bread dough recipe and got the compliment that they were better than the bakery’s! The frozen dough sound much easier, I’ll have to try that soon.

32. Sandy on January 30, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Awwww, come on now, I’m a loyal reader from MA, what have you got against my Pats?? I was so deflated when I got to that part of the blog.
    Pepperoni bread looks good even if you’ll be rooting against us.

• Michelle on January 30th, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Haha. Well, #1 they have beat the Steelers in one too many AFC Championship games. #2 I don’t want Tom Brady to tie Terry Bradshaw’s record of 4 Super Bowl rings. And #3 I just don’t like Tom Brady ;-)

It’s nothing personal :)

33. Aruna Jain on February 3, 2012 at 9:02 am

These look great and I know are always a crowd pleaser. Any thoughts on which veggie stuffings would work in these? I know all would taste good, but when it’s time to cut and serve, I’m looking for something that isn’t messy. Cheese would work, but am looking for something a little extra. Thanks for your thoughts and awesome blog!

• Michelle on February 3rd, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Hi Aruna, I would saute any veggies you use prior to putting them in the roll so that they don’t release water while baking, which would cause the rolls to become soggy. That being said, I’ve never put anything in these other than pepperoni and cheese, so I don’t have any specific recommendations, just use your favorites!

34. Pingback: Peanut Butter Cookies | Cookie Recipes | Brown Eyed Baker

35. Alisa on April 13, 2012 at 11:54 pm

This brings back memories :) when I was a kid there was a bakery near me that made amazing pepperoni bread. Theirs was Italian bread with butter and garlic like you’d have ordinary garlic bread but then layered with pepperoni and mozzarella and rolled up like you’d roll up dough for cinnamon rolls so that every bite was like garlic bread with the pepperoni and cheese inside – so, so good!

36. Pingback: Alfajores Recipe | Brown Eyed Baker

37. Tracey on July 19, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Sound so easy – I think the would be a very popular addition to my son’s lunch box! I think I’ll give them a try this weekend.

38. Pingback: 235 Best Fall Recipes

39. Pingback: 235 Favorite Fall Recipes | Biz Chicks

40. Chris on December 3, 2012 at 7:31 am

Hi I live in Ireland & we don’t have frozen bread dough…(or at least I don’t think we do)!! anyway do you think I could I use shortcut pastry? Just spent wonderful hour checking out your site Many thanks

• Michelle on December 3rd, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Hi Chris, I’m not familiar with shortcut pastry, but you could definitely try it. You could also use homemade bread dough as well.

41. Pingback: Meal Plan

42. alicia on December 15, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Do you think this works fine to have for a Christmas Party with finger foods? I was planning on slicing them about 2 inches thick. I’m mostly concerned how it’ll taste once it cools down…some foods don’t translate well after sitting a while. Thanks! If you don’t think it’ll work for the party, I’ll definately make it for my two teen sons, they will love it!

• Michelle on December 15th, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Hi Alicia, You could definitely slice these up, in fact that’s how my grandma always served them! We’ve always enjoyed these warm from the oven, at room temperature, or even straight from the fridge. I think they’re awesome at any temperature :)

43. Sandy on January 31, 2013 at 12:47 pm

I am anxious to try these – I think I may add a little pizza sauce as well! Can’t wait to try this recipe – thank you!

44. toomanygrandkids on July 23, 2013 at 11:53 am

Hi, I’ve been reading your blog for about a week now and I must say that you’ve got some darn good recipes here. I plan on making this pepperoni bread recipe first. I’m gonna make this along w/ a big pot of spaghetti. I also like the idea of adding veggies. Can the veggies be boiled/seasoned/drained or sauteed? Thanx.

• Michelle on July 24th, 2013 at 8:30 am

Hi there, I’ve never had a pepperoni roll with any type of vegetables in it, so I’m not sure if they would cause the rolls to be soggy, but it can’t hurt to try! Let me know how they turn out.

45. Pingback: Best Pinterest Posts » 203 Favorite Fall Recipes

46. Kristin Thomas on December 26, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Make these often but use a variety of deli meats & cheeses…sometimes with the pepperoni we use pizza sauce inside with cheese…..or use pizza sauce to dip into. we also brush inside and outside of bread with a garlic/herb butter NUM

47. Pingback: 142 Super Bowl Recipes | Brown Eyed Baker | Appliance Repair