Applesauce Oatmeal Muffins

My good friend Kayte (of Kayte’s Kitchen) told me about these muffins awhile ago and I thought they sounded really good, but then I forgot about them! She gave me the recipe again yesterday and I was able to make them today. For me, they definitely taste “healthy” (maybe because the only other muffins I make include about 2 cups of sugar and a cup of oil?) but they are so moist and really good! I added the optional raisins and am glad that I did – they give the muffins a little more depth and flavor.

Also, I took Kayte’s advice and mixed these with a wooden spoon instead of using a mixer. I definitely see the potential for them to be over mixed and come out tough!

Applesauce Oatmeal Muffins (from SparkRecipes)

1 cup rolled oats (not instant)
1 cup reduced-fat milk
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 egg whites
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon (I omitted this because I’m allergic)
1 tsp. granulated sugar
Nuts or raisins (optional)

1. Soak the oats in milk for approximately 1 hour.

2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.

3. Combine the oat mixture with applesauce and egg whites, and mix until combined.

4. In a separate bowl whisk together dry ingredients.

5. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Add nuts or raisins, if desired. **Do not over mix the batter or the muffins will be tough!**

6. Spoon batter into 12 prepared muffin cups. Combine cinnamon and sugar and top each muffin with some of the mixture.

7. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until done.

30 Responses to “Applesauce Oatmeal Muffins”

1. Kayte on July 17, 2007 at 4:41 pm

i totally agree! they definitely taste healthy. but not in a bad way! your picture turned out great. i couldn’t get any good ones. i’m glad you liked them!

2. DeborahSW on July 18, 2007 at 4:10 pm

These look great! It’s good to throw in something healthy now and then – makes you feel a little less guilty huh? ;)~

3. Amber on July 19, 2007 at 10:20 am

These look great. I’ll have to remember them when I am looking for something healthy.

4. Pingback: 40 Healthy Recipes for 2011 | Brown Eyed Baker

5. Cheri on January 4, 2011 at 11:51 am

These sound wonderful and I’m excited to make them. Any idea how well they freeze and what the calorie count is :o)

• Michelle on January 13th, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Hi Cheri, No idea about the calorie count, but yes, definitely freeze well!

6. Pingback: Muffins, Muffins, Muffins « Wondrous Love

7. Pingback: Applesauce Oatmeal Muffins | Pass The Sushi!

8. Pingback: Applesauce Oatmeal Muffins

9. Kim on October 8, 2011 at 5:41 pm

I just made these this afternoon but used banana instead of applesauce because that’s what I have. Added raisins too and they are super yum! What an easy recipe too. Thanks so much.

10. Kim on October 8, 2011 at 6:42 pm

I just calculated calories for the version I made and it has about 130 calories per muffin.

11. Pingback: Basic Pesto Recipe | Brown Eyed Baker

12. Stephen Ryan on March 9, 2012 at 10:33 pm

I like this recipe. One question: it calls for egg whites. I have brown eggs. Would they be o.k. as a substitute?

• Michelle on March 10th, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Hi Stephen, Egg whites refers to the inside of the egg, where the whites of the egg are separated from the egg yolk. The color of the outside of the egg doesn’t make a difference.

13. Madison on March 12, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Hello! These muffins look great! I’m always looking for “healthy” freezable breakfasts for my busy husband! Question though, could you substitute regular flour for the whole wheat flour? I’m suddenly out!

Thanks!

• Michelle on March 12th, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Hi Madison, Definitely! Enjoy!

14. Pingback: Blueberry Oatmeal Cupcakes | choufleurcupcakes

15. Christina @ Diary of a Teenage Baker on August 8, 2012 at 6:13 pm

I think I’ll be using these for a healthy breakfast baking workshop I’m doing for my Gold Award project :) I’ve loved your blog for years, by the way! I have you linked in my blogroll.

16. Pingback: 12 Favorite Apple Recipes | Biz Chicks

17. Heidi on September 25, 2012 at 1:43 am

I made these this evening. They are soo yummy! Especially with homemade applesauce :)

18. Pingback: 12 Favorite Apple Recipes

19. Pingback: Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread | Brown Eyed Baker

20. Melissa on January 9, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Could you substitute regular flour instead of whole wheat?

• Michelle on January 9th, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Yes, definitely!

21. Kaelei on April 12, 2013 at 6:10 pm

I did the conversions and the nutritional information (major) is as follows:
    This depends on how much you fill the tins, normally I yield 24-18 out of a 12 muffin recipe.
    75-100 calories each
    10.4-13.9 grams carbohydrates
    2.3-3 grams protein
    1-1.3 grams fiber
    I can see why you don’t do calorie conversions yourself, it’s a tedious process to say the least.

22. Laurel on January 7, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Could honey be substituted for the brown sugar? If so the same quantity? Thanks.

• Michelle on January 8th, 2014 at 11:32 am

Hi Laurel, I haven’t tried it so I can’t guarantee the result, but if you did substitute, it would the same quantity. Let me know how it turns out!

23. Allison on January 8, 2014 at 10:53 am

Am I the only one trying to figure out how to fatten these up? Could I use whole milk and two whole eggs intstear or am I compromising texture? I’m over low fat recipes ;)

24. Pingback: The First Birthday Party Rundown! | Mother Down Under