Italian Stuffed Peppers

Tonight was a stop in Italy. Although stuffed peppers are not an inherently Italian dish (sshhh, don’t tell my Grandma!), this version certainly tasted like it was straight from the old country! The addition of the parmesan cheese and using spaghetti sauce versus plain tomato sauce made all the difference. This is my new official stuffed pepper recipe!

Italian Stuffed Peppers (adapted from Lunch with Lynn)

4 large bell peppers
1 cup cooked rice
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 large vidalia onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
Salt
Pepper
Italian seasoning
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1 1/2 cups spaghetti sauce (I used homemade that I had in the freezer)
Shredded mozzarella cheese

1. Preheat oven to 375.

2. Cut the tops off of peppers and clean out seeds and membranes. Place in baking dish that has a small amount of water on the bottom (it will keep the peppers from sticking and keep them moist).

3. Brown the ground beef with the onion and garlic, crumbling the meat. Season with salt, pepper and a couple of dashes of Italian seasoning. Drain beef mixture.

4. Mix beef mixture, rice, parmesan cheese and almost all of spaghetti sauce in a bowl. Stuff an equal amount of filling into each pepper. Top with a spoonful of sauce and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese on each pepper.

5. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Top with shredded mozzarella cheese and continue to bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly.

**What I Would Do Differently**
The peppers were still pretty raw when they came out of the oven, so next time I would boil them quickly to get them started before stuffing them and baking them.

14 Responses to “Italian Stuffed Peppers”

1. Ally on August 6, 2007 at 9:42 pm

Looks really good Chelly!!

2. Beth G. on August 6, 2007 at 10:25 pm

Those look great! We’re sauce-in-the-freezer people too so this is a great week night dinner~ YUM!

3. laneyu on August 7, 2007 at 8:09 am

these look so good! i will have to try them!

4. Marie Norris on August 7, 2007 at 9:06 am

These look sooo good hon….I will have to try them tonight! Love, Mom

5. MrsSisler on August 7, 2007 at 9:45 am

These look great! I wish DH ate stuffed peppers! Maybe I’ll make them for my lunch or something

6. Kayte on August 7, 2007 at 11:29 am

these look amazing!

7. Amber on August 7, 2007 at 8:19 pm

They look wonderful!! Great job.

8. Allie on August 8, 2007 at 9:49 am

i tried these last night…and they were delicious!! this is now my goto stuffed pepper recipe!!

9. marye on August 9, 2007 at 1:48 pm

I do steam mine in the microwave for a bit before stuffing..but these look awesome!

10. Mansi Desai on August 10, 2007 at 5:11 pm

Hi there,

its great to stumble upon your blog! nice recipes and great pics…I’m a vegetarian, but i loved this recipe and will try to make it with a beef substitution and tell u how it goes!!

meanwhile visit http://funnfud.blogspot.com for some veggie recipes!

cheers!!

-Mansi

11. Nicole on September 12, 2007 at 9:25 am

I absolutely love your blog! I steam peppers in the microwave for a few minutes before sticking them in the oven. Makes all the difference. Have a great day!

12. Netti on July 29, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Yes, the peppers needed to be steamed prior to filling. The flavor is good, but I added more spice, just to give it a “flavor boost”. I’ve also heard that you can set your peppers onto a bed of sourkrout instead of the water.

13. anita on August 4, 2013 at 9:04 am

hi, I have a recipe that is similar to this. the differences in mine are, parboil the peppers for 5 mins each first. (but I like the idea of steaming them in the microwave, though I haven’t tried that yet) in my recipe it is just tomato sauce that is used, and the garlic is not cooked with the meat, but added after the meat rice and sauce are mixed together also there is no parmesan cheese or Italian spices.
    my recipe:
    cook the ground beef with onions s&p, drained then add the cooked rice and tomato sauce to the pan that has the cooked meat in it add uncooked garlic here. when the parboiled peppers are cool enough to handle fill them, top with shredded cheese and bake 20-30 mins.

the green pepper and garlic that cooks in the pepper flavors everything so its not necessary to have all of those spices added. I have when cutting the tops of the green peppers odd, taken all of the parts around the tops and are still edible, and added it diced to the meat when its cooking

14. Gina on March 27, 2014 at 12:29 pm

I tried this last night. It came out AWESOME!!! I had everything but the spaghetti sauce oddly enough. I’m a horrible Italian to not have pasta sauce at all times in my house. Anyway, I had a random can of Progresso’s Tomato Basil soup. I improvised. Needless to say, it worked out great as a sub for the pasta sauce! I also didn’t have a lot of onion but I used shallots and those worked just as well. We will pin and continue to use this recipe!