Oatmeal Raisin Chocolate Chip Cookies

I have been eating a lot of oatmeal with apples and raisins for breakfast in the mornings and as a result, I’ve been craving oatmeal raisin cookies. I haven’t made these in years, and to be quite honest, the last couple of times that I made them they didn’t turn out all that great. I was looking forward to trying a new recipe and these definitely lived up to my expectations! They were crisp on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside – the perfect oatmeal cookie.

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
(Source: Deborah’s Culinary Confections, courtesy of Annie’s Eats)

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon (omitted)
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (omitted)
3 cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup raisins
1 cup walnuts (I substituted dark chocolate chips)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375.

2. In a large bowl, beat butter, sugars, eggs and vanilla extract until well blended. In a medium bowl combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture, stirring just until combined.

3. Fold in rolled oats, raisins, and walnuts (in this case, chocolate chips). Drop dough by rounded teaspoons (I used a cookie scoop) about 2 inches apart onto a cookie sheet.

4. Bake for 8 – 10 minutes (mine took 12 minutes) or until edges are lightly browned. Cool 2 minutes and remove to wire rack to cool completely.

Yield: A little over 4 dozen cookies.

26 Responses to “Oatmeal Raisin Chocolate Chip Cookies”

1. Kayte on September 23, 2007 at 11:17 am

these look incredible chelley! i’m always looking for a better oatmeal cookie recipe. i need to make these for my mom. she loves them!

2. DeborahSW on September 24, 2007 at 12:30 am

Aw, I’m so glad you liked ‘em! Thanks for the blog link too! :)

3. Renea on September 26, 2007 at 5:03 pm

Ooh these look great!

4. Amber on September 26, 2007 at 8:32 pm

These look sooo good. Great job Chelle.

5. Sab on October 1, 2008 at 6:29 pm

I tried this recipe except no chocolate or nuts. This is the best batter that I have every tasted! Oh, and I added cinnamon (lots) and no nutmeg. Yummy yumm! Can I post about it on my blog?

6. lester butts on June 11, 2010 at 5:16 pm

i love cookie

7. Laurie on September 7, 2010 at 6:57 pm

These are by far the best cookies i have ever made. Recieved so many compliments on them, lots of requests for the recipe! These are my new go to cookies!

• Michelle on September 13th, 2010 at 10:36 pm

Laurie – Awesome to hear, so glad you loved these!

8. Rosalind on September 28, 2010 at 10:01 am

complete winner of a cookie. chomped down by everyone with delight whenever I have made them!

• Michelle on September 28th, 2010 at 7:36 pm

Awesome to hear Rosalind!

9. Marty on November 10, 2010 at 7:12 am

Hi Michelle, I made these cookies last night – they are really good. I didn’t have any walnuts so I put in pecans. I did put in the cinnamon and nutmeg. I make big cookies so I didn’t get 4 dozen – I guess it means less trips to the cookie jar These are a keeper. Thanks. (Everything I have made from your site is really good).

• Michelle on November 10th, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Hi Marty, So glad you enjoyed these cookies (as well as other recipes)!

10. Hana on March 30, 2011 at 12:15 am

Just made these yesterday, leaving in the cinnamon and nutmeg ~ BY FAR the BEST oatmeal raisin cookies I have ever made! Mine also cooked for 11-12 minutes, and made just a few shy of 4 dozen 2-3 inch cookies. Thank you for sharing ~ you have become my new baking idol :D

11. Pingback: The Sojourner, Page 33 - Epidigm Studios

12. Anise on September 22, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Just made these and I love them. I used cranberries in some of them instead of raisins and they are still just as good.

13. Charm on October 5, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Pretty perfect cookie! Just as you described: crunchy exterior but soft and chewy inside. Thanks!

14. Pingback: White Sicilian Pizza with Flaky, Pastry-Style Crust | Brown Eyed Baker

15. Anissa on December 11, 2011 at 11:56 pm

Made these tonight and yielded about 6 dozen, so I guess I made them smaller than you did. I used raisins and chocolate chips and only added a few dashes of the cinnamon and nutmeg. They were just as promised, crispy on the outside, soft on the inside. Great cookie!

16. Pingback: Dutch Apple Pie Bars | Biz Chicks

17. Pingback: Chewy Oatmeal-Raisin Cookies | Brown Eyed Baker

18. Adriana Mooney on October 31, 2012 at 5:39 pm

These are the best CHEWY oatmeal chocolate chip raisin cookies EVER! It is my favorite combination and I’m usually a little disappointed. My expectations have not been met before. WOW! I followed the recipe to a tee and it was perfect. I’d never realized that even a tiny bit of cinnamon alters the flavor.
    Thanks so much!
    (I made 45 cookies)

19. Tracey on March 11, 2013 at 1:11 pm

I’m so glad I found this recipe last summer! I love oatmeal, raisin, and chocolate chip cookies without cinnamon, but it is really hard to find a nice, chewy one! I had been wanting to try out a recipe for increasing milk supply for nursing moms since a couple of my friends were having babies, but they all sounded, well, not the tastiest. So I decided to modify your recipe a little bit to meet the needs of a nursing cookie–I cut out 1/4 cup of the flour and added 1/4 of ground flax, plus 2 Tbsp brewer’s yeast. I also substituted 1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil for 1/4 of the butter to make them *a little* healthier (more than that made the cookies too thin), and 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut for 1 cup oats. They might not be as healthy as most nursing cookies, but at least they taste better so one can enjoy eating them lol! Everyone I’ve made them for loves them and they are now my go-to food I bring to new moms :) thanks again for sharing a great recipe!

20. Sarah on April 29, 2013 at 8:58 am

I just made these cookies and left in the cinnamon and used quick oats and they were very good. These cookies were chewy and I will make again, thanks for the recipe!

21. Pingback: Tzatziki Sauce | Web Hosting Reviews, Linux Web Hosting, Windows Web Hosting

22. Pingback: Best Pinterest Posts » Tzatziki Sauce

23. jack on February 22, 2014 at 2:22 am

I’ve been making these for years and never made a comment…….tonight when looking it up on my “saved” recipes wanted to tell everyone how easy these are to make and how absolutely WONDERFUL they taste. If I take them to a function, I never bring any home. When I pass them out to neighbors/friends, I get major compliments.

It’s just a great recipe.