Hershey’s Best Brownies

You bet they are! Hershey’s struck a home run with their Perfectly Chocolate Cake, and I am again impressed with their famed brownie recipe. This was actually the second time I have made this recipe, but they disappeared so fast the first time that I didn’t get a chance to take a picture!

I admittedly don’t have a lot of experience with homemade brownies, but these were dense and fudge-like – the perfect brownie by my standards!

Best Brownies
(Source: Hershey’s)

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, melted
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup Hershey’s cocoa
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350. Grease 9-inch square baking pan.

2. Stir together butter, sugar and vanilla in bowl. Add eggs; beat well with spoon. Stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually add to egg mixture, beating until well blended. Stir in nuts, if desired. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan.

3. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of the pan. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into squares. Approximately 16 brownies.

24 Responses to “Hershey’s Best Brownies”

1. Beth on September 23, 2007 at 1:27 pm

I make these all the time, and everyone LOVES them! :) Sprinkle a bit of powdered sugar if you want to make them decorative…

Love you!

Beth

2. Amber on September 26, 2007 at 8:33 pm

I am going to have to give these a try. I don’t make brownies often but I should because they are so good.

3. Bev and Ollie "O" on September 28, 2007 at 10:38 am

i am going to make these tonight, maybe i’ll post a pick and link to your post, is that ok?
    i loooove brownies, and cookies, would you by any chance have brilliant basic cookie dough recipe too?

i am going to be soo OD’d on chocolate! hehe!!

4. Michelle on September 28, 2007 at 10:41 am

You may certainly link back to my blog – I would greatly appreciate it! As for cookies recipes, check out the “cookie” tag on the right – there are some in there. A few have tried my most recent chocolate chip creation and have raved! Enjoy! :)

• A ROOKIE BAKER on November 9th, 2012 at 6:55 pm

I am SOOOOO sorry,…. Beth??? I thnk…. But I am not answering ur question, I have one of my own…..so here it is….

HI BROWN EYED BAKER!!!! I LUUUUUUV UR WEBSITE!!!! I USE IT ALL THE TIME!!! This question is for U.
      I am trying to make these brownies and I am not really sure I have baking powder….
      :( I just REALLY WANT TO KNOW,……
      IS BAKING POWDER A NECCESARY INGREDIENT?? Thnx….. PLEASE ANSWER ASAP….. ANYONE….
      -A baker that seriously needs the answer to the question above.

• Michelle on November 10th, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Yes, you definitely need to use baking powder.

5. just a cook on October 3, 2007 at 7:34 am

Try the Barefoot Contess’a brownie recipe. It can rival any brownie recipe out there. It is the best!!

6. Carla on August 2, 2010 at 11:50 pm

I keep tryin to bake brownies but they never come out as they should… I can never seem to know when they are ready :S any tips/advise u can provide? thanks in advance :D

• Michelle on August 4th, 2010 at 11:30 am

Hi Carla,

It really depends on the specific recipe, but the biggest thing is not to overbake them. You want to take them out when there are still some wet crumbs left on a toothpick inserted in the center. Good luck!

• Steph on September 25th, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Oh thanks!! I tried this recipe last night and over baked them to the point they were crunchy on the outside… (not the good kind…) ;(
        For some reason when I did this one the brownie didn’t pull away from the edges.
        I’m trying it again tonight… this time with 1/4 cup of applesauce to keep it moist…
        ill let you know how it turns out:)

7. Mariah on January 7, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Best brownies ever. Made them last night, with little bits of dark chocolate chopped up and thrown in, AMAZING. First homemade recipe I prefer to boxed. Thanks for sharing this!

8. Pingback: Moussaka Recipe

9. Pingback: My favourite food – steak | My Ottawa Life

10. A(blue eyed) baker :) on November 10, 2012 at 12:37 am

HI! So… Heres my thing….. I am a bit young…. I am a rookie baker I guess, and I am in the eight grade. You see, every week at school is such a drag for me, whenever I come back from school on Friday, I want to bake…. Something to mooch on on Saturday morning with milk or something….. I hope you know what I mean so far….
    BECAUSE HERE’S MY POINT….
    You see, in different cultures, there are different foods like Asian food Is spicy, Mexican food almost always includes beans Italian foods main ingredient is cheese…. I am Asian…. So, i hope you get what I mean when I tell you that it was REALLY HARD to find vanilla extract or cocoa powder aroun here because my mom does not use that stuff in her kitchen….. Now um… Most recipes need baking powder and we do not have that at all in my house… And I need to know if baking powder is always needed or if it can be skipped…. Substituted….??? Thnx SOOOOO MUCH!!!!
    PLZ…. ANYONE…
    Reply.

• Michelle on November 10th, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Well, the short answer to your question is that while baking powder is required in every single recipe, you do need to use it whenever it is called for. It’s a leavening agent, which means that baked goods that call for it won’t rise without it. I would ask your mom to purchase baking powder and cocoa powder if there are recipes you are interested in making that need it.

• Rookie baker on November 21st, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Thanks so much! I asked my mom to get baking powder, we made the brownies, ad my mom loved them so much, she said she would pay me to make more batches to have at thanksgiving dinner!

11. Simren on November 21, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Luuuuuuv the brownies! I am definitely going to make another batch for thanksgiving!
    Although, I did need to use two batches for one pan…. Maybe because my pans pretty big.

12. Pingback: Best brownies | whiteweights

13. Pingback: My Ottawa Life

14. Flora on December 17, 2012 at 10:53 pm

My batter came out liquids, not thick, like the first time I made them. The brownies came out okay in the end, though, but just ok.

• Rosy on December 18th, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Same! How do u fix that?

15. Pingback: Cinnamon and chocolate | whiteweights