Peppermint Bark

Peppermint Bark #recipe by @browneyedbaker :: www.browneyedbaker.com

I made peppermint bark for the first time last Christmas and I found it so easy yet such a luxurious-looking treat that I decided I would make it once again for the gifts I am giving to some friends and family. I do not include any peppermint oil or extract in mine, as I like the mint flavor that comes from the crushed candy canes, however you could certainly add it if you want more of a peppermint punch!

I’ve also found that trying to actually “cut” the bark doesn’t work so well – a better method is to merely take the tip of a sharp knife and insert it into the bark and apply some pressure, which will start the bark breaking into pieces.

Peppermint Bark #recipe by @browneyedbaker :: www.browneyedbaker.com

Peppermint Bark

Yield: 2 pounds bark

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 30 minutes

An easy for Peppermint Bark with layers of dark chocolate, white chocolate and topped with crushed candy canes.

Ingredients:

16 ounces dark chocolate, finely chopped
16 ounces white chocolate, finely chopped
1 (6-ounce package) candy canes, unwrapped and crushed

Directions:

1. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper; set aside.

2. Place the dark chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl and set it over a small saucepan of barely simmering water over low heat. Melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally, until completely smooth. Using an offset spatula, spread the melted chocolate in an even layer on the prepared cookie sheet. The melted chocolate should cover an area of about a 9x13-inche rectangle. Place the cookie sheet in the refrigerator while you prepare the white chocolate.

3. Place the white chocolate in a clean medium heatproof bowl and set it over a small saucepan of barely simmering water over low heat. Melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally, until completely smooth. Remove the cookie sheet from the refrigerator and, using an offset spatula, spread the melted white chocolate in an even layer on top of the dark chocolate layer. Immediately sprinkle the crushed candy canes on top of the melted white chocolate and gently press into the chocolate to adhere. Refrigerate until complete hard and set, at least 30 minutes. Store the bark in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.

3. Break into pieces and enjoy!

(Photos and recipe formatting updated December 2013)

100 Responses to “Peppermint Bark”

1. katie102006 on December 18, 2007 at 9:38 am

Wow your bark came out MUCH prettier than mine! Nice job!

• Sara on December 5th, 2011 at 1:49 pm

I made this and added a pretzel layer underneath as well – was a huge hit!

2. kayte on December 18, 2007 at 9:56 am

so pretty! i was planning on making chocolate/peanut bark today, but this looks so festive. i might just have to pick up some candy canes and give this one a shot! yummm!

3. MrsPresley on December 18, 2007 at 9:57 pm

your peppermint bark is beautiful!

4. Patricia Scarpin on December 19, 2007 at 11:44 am

With white and dark chocolate, who can resist? :)

5. Amber on December 27, 2007 at 10:48 am

I love the two colors of chocolate together with the peppermint pieces on top. It looks so perfect and professional.

6. Hannah on October 14, 2008 at 6:42 pm

Mmmm…. I’m just now whipping up a batch of these and my apartment smells great. While getting chocolate blocks at the grocery I noticed butterscotch ones as well. I think I’ll try making a pumpkin batch – first layer of butterscotch, topped with a caramel drizzle, and some kind of pumpkin candy…. now just to figure out the candy! Thanks for the spectacular post!

7. Chelle on October 14, 2008 at 6:54 pm

HANNAH–Oh I hope you enjoy it! I love this stuff, I go nuts on it at Christmas! Your pumpkin variation sounds just fantastic, I’d love to see if/when you do it!

8. Toni on November 26, 2008 at 3:05 pm

I tried the recipe and the dark and white chocolate layers didn’t stick to each other, so when I broke it apart the layers seperated, any suggestions?

• samantha on December 18th, 2011 at 1:32 pm

mine did this too! :(

• janna brown on December 15th, 2012 at 12:40 pm

mine too! Did you figure anything out?

• Yolanda on December 17th, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Mine did too…I was so bummed because it looked so beautiful.

9. Kate on November 30, 2008 at 9:21 pm

I’ve wanted to try this since I stumbled on your blog several weeks ago. I figured that since tomorrow is December 1, tonight would be a great night to try it out! Here’s a picture of the finished product:

I think it came out beautifully! I’ve seen other barks in stores and online that are solid white chocolate with candy cane mixed in… nowhere near as pretty or festive, in my opinion. I can’t wait to take this in to work tomorrow for everyone to enjoy! Thanks for such a simple and wonderful idea/recipe! Happy holidays!!

10. The Hip Hostess on December 23, 2008 at 11:40 am

Looks delicious. I LOVE peppermint bark and it is so expensive to purchase so making it is a great option. If you are looking for a new way to use the bark try it in place of chocolate chips in a chocolate chip cookie recipe. Check out the one on my blog: http://hiphostess.wordpress.com/2008/12/23/peppermint-bark-chocolate-chip-cookies/

Thanks for the post!

11. Laurel on November 15, 2009 at 1:03 pm

I made this yesterday, and while it is wonderfully delicious, the layers did not stay together at all. Any tips? thanks for the terrific idea!

12. Michelle on November 22, 2009 at 10:14 pm

Hi Laurel – Hmmm, that’s odd that the layers didn’t stay together. I’ve made this recipe countless times, and that has never happened. Did you do anything differently by chance?

13. tiffany on December 11, 2009 at 1:35 am

my layers separated too! so sad

14. Kate on December 11, 2009 at 2:41 pm

I had an issue with the layers separating when I made my first pan last year.

I had the dark chocolate in the freezer to set-up and took it out only right before I needed it to spread the white chocolate. It was rock hard, super cold and didn’t melt at all when I started to pour the white chocolate on to spread…

After that first pan, I started letting the dark chocolate sit on the counter at room temp as I melted the white chocolate. It wasn’t nearly as rock-hard or cold when it came time to spread the white chocolate on top.

I don’t know if that really helped or not, but it seemed like the bottom (dark chocolate) layer “fused” better with the top (white chocolate) layer when it had a chance to “warm up” a little bit.

15. Michelle on December 16, 2009 at 10:34 pm

Hi Tiffany,

I am so sorry to hear that your layers separated! I just made two batches of bark in the last week and didn’t have any issues. Since others have mentioned it, you may want to try setting the chocolate layer in the refrigerator instead of the freezer or letting it sit out for a bit before pouring on the white chocolate layer. Please let me know if you try it again – I hope you have better luck!

16. Pingback: Feeling like a superhero « Oh Give Me A Gnome

17. Lindsay on December 2, 2010 at 9:54 am

Another good way to break it is to slam the pan on the counter. I usually start with that and then stab it with a knife to get the breaking started for smaller pieces. It sounds violent, but it works really well.

I’ve also done it where I put foil down on the pan before adding the first layer of chocolate…that way I can just pick up the foil and slam that on the counter instead.

• Michelle on December 6th, 2010 at 11:29 pm

Lindsay, I also sometimes “stab” the bark with the tip of a sharp chef’s knife to get it to break into shards. I like the look of randomly-shaped pieces :)

18. Pingback: Pistachio & Cranberry White Chocolate Bark | Christmas Recipes | Brown Eyed Baker

19. Stephanie on December 5, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Hi Guys! I made the peppermint bark yesterday but when I go to cut it … the dark chocolate layer didn’t stick to the white. Any ideas? Did I keep the dark layer in the freezer for too long? Too thick of a layer of white? Wrong chocolate?

Help!
    -Steph

• Michelle on December 6th, 2010 at 11:30 pm

Hi Steph, I have never had the chocolate separate on me (and I’ve made this countless times) but some other readers have mentioned a similar problem. Maybe try popping the first layer in the refrigerator (instead of the freezer) for about 15 minutes to set and then pouring the white layer on top.

20. Pingback: Easy Fudge Recipe | Brown Eyed Baker

21. Kathleen on December 7, 2010 at 8:43 am

Michelle, I love peppermint bark and look forward to making it myself!
    I read the comments about the layers separating and wonder if the white chocolate brand has anything to do with this. Will you share with us which brand of white chocolate you use?
    Thanks in advance!

• Michelle on December 7th, 2010 at 8:50 am

Hi Kathleen, Sure! I’ve always used Ghiradelli chocolate (both the dark and white) for my peppermint bark. I buy the baking bars, not the chips.

22. Pingback: Ang.’s Chicken Coop » Blog Archive » Peppermint Bark and Mom

23. Stephanie on December 7, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Thanks for everyone’s help! I do think my problem was I didn’t let the chocolate sit, once taken out of the freezer. I am going to try again this week. I’ll let you guys know how it goes.

24. Pingback: Edible Holiday Gifts & Recipe for Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix « Evin's Cooking Peas & Q's

25. Katie on December 10, 2010 at 12:15 pm

I had the same issue with the layers separating, so I’m going to try again, this time letting the dark chocolate come to room temperature first. I used the candy melts for my white chocolate since I dont have a double boiler and have to microwave my chocolate – for the white chocolate they just melt easier that way. Maybe that is the problem?

26. Tonya on December 16, 2010 at 10:18 am

Turned out perfect! I will never buy peppermint bark again. Thanks!

27. Pingback: Pecan Tassies | Christmas Cookie Recipes | Brown Eyed Baker

28. Kimmy on December 19, 2010 at 8:59 pm

This is great, thanks! I had the opposite problem to those with separating layers. My white chocolate was a little too hot and melted the dark chocolate a bit when I poured it on top. For the second batch, I let the white chocolate sit for a few minutes off the oven to cool off a bit.

I also don’t have a double boiler – I just used two pans inside each other, works great.

29. Lori on December 20, 2010 at 6:49 am

I made this last night and while it tastes good, your peppermint bark looks so much better than mine. I used Ghirardelli white chocolate chips in a double boiler and while the consistency was smooth it was thicker than the bittersweet/semisweet layer. I went ahead with it any way but was wondering if I should have added a few drops of oil to it to thin it out. Do you think that might have helped? I know you have to work quickly because too much spreading around causes the chocolate layer to melt and show through. Also this might be a dumb question: How did you crush your candy canes? I used my food processor but I think I might have over processed them a little too much. Any guidance you can give would be appreciated.

• Michelle on February 16th, 2011 at 10:16 pm

Hi Lori, I never add any oil. I do find that the white chocolate cools and gets thicker faster than regular chocolate, so working quickly is key. I put my candy canes in a gallon-size ziploc bag and roll over it with a rolling pin to crush them :)

30. Pingback: Mini Cheesecake Cookies | Christmas Cookies | Brown Eyed Baker

31. Lindsey Fabulous on December 28, 2010 at 4:12 pm

I made this TWICE this Christmas! I added a teaspoon of peppermint extract to the dark chocolate when it was melting, and the result was ABSOLUTELY delicious. I would recommend that you try it!! I also layered coarsely crushed up peppermints between the chocolate and white layers, in addition to the sprinkling on top of the white layer. It resulted in beautifully layered pieces!!

32. Cathy on January 21, 2011 at 11:32 am

I tried this receipe but used rum extract and cherry candies instead of peppermint. Tastes like a choclate covered cherry. Delicious!

33. Pingback: Salted Caramel Cashew Bark | Brown Eyed Baker

34. angie on October 12, 2011 at 12:43 pm

I was wondering, instead of pouring everything into a sheet, could I pour them into cookie cutters for decoration? Would that work, or would they stick?

• Michelle on October 12th, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Hi Angie, That sounds like such a cute idea! I would probably put down a sheet of parchment, then spray the insides of your cookie cutters, and pour the chocolate in. I think you would be okay doing it that way.

35. Pingback: peppermint bark « dolce vita verde

36. Wendie on November 25, 2011 at 8:19 pm

I have a question, I made the bark today but when I went to break it apart the white layer completely separated from the dark. Any idea how to prevent this? Id like to use this recipe for Christmas presents this year!

• Michelle on November 26th, 2011 at 11:36 am

Hi Wendie, A number of people have mentioned this as a problem, but I’ve never experienced it. I would try putting the dark chocolate layer in the fridge for just 15 minutes or so, and then pour the white on, this might keep it from getting too hard and separating.

37. Carla on November 28, 2011 at 5:21 pm

This bark looks wonderful. I was wondering what size cookie sheet do you use?

• Michelle on November 28th, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Hi Carla, I think my cookie sheet is something like 10×15, although I don’t spread the chocolate over the entire sheet, I keep a good border around the edges so the chocolate doesn’t melt off the sides ;-)

38. GM on December 11, 2011 at 11:53 pm

I too had the problem of the layers separating. I used Ghirardelli white chocolate chips and Bakers Dark Chocolate. I did have a thinner layer of dark chocolate than the white, maybe that was the issue. I let the dark chocolate sit on the counter for about 15 minutes, then put it in the fridge for another 15 before adding the white on top.

I am going to try this again with blocks of chocolate that I bought from whole foods after this batch is gone.

Does adding oil help these fuse together?

• Michelle on December 12th, 2011 at 11:18 pm

Hi GM, I have never added oil, so I’m not sure what this would do, although I feel like it would cause the chocolate to separate, not fuse. I still haven’t had this separation problem after almost 7 years of making it. Instead of using chips, I would recommend actual chocolate bars (Ghiradelli sells them in 4 oz sizes), they may melt and fuse together better.

• wendie on December 13th, 2011 at 1:32 am

I had this separation issue when I 1st tried this, did some research on the internet and found out a couple of things – the chocolate layer should just be cool not cold, you barely want it set up. White chocolate in particular is pretty finicky so dont use chips use bars, my white chocolate chips seized up on me and were useless now I use bars and it works much better. I can still use chips for my dark layer. Peppermint oil works great use it in the dark chocolate layer. Good luck! Im still working to perfect this but after reading several blogs and cooking answers on this question, its a common issue when making bark!

39. Pingback: Peppermint Whoopie Pies | Christmas Recipes | Brown Eyed Baker

40. Dena on December 17, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I really would consider myself a great cook and baker but this bark has me completely frustrated. I have made 4 batches of this bark with different variations and recipes from the internet. The taste is unmatchable ….the process frustrating. MY bark always separates. I just read through all the comments. I am going to try a quick refrigeration of the white and then put chocolate on pull it out and score it and then use only the knife to break apart. I use Ghiradelli etc..but still having issues Michelle…I feel like such an amatuer w/ this bark :( Why can’t it just “work”

I just glued a batch together…ugh….. trying again in about an hour. Montra…never give up….lol

41. Pingback: Barking Up The RIGHT Tree | From Cupcakes To Caviar

42. Pingback: 22 Easy Recipes for Fabulous Holiday Gifts from Your Kitchen

43. GM on December 18, 2011 at 4:08 am

I am convinced that the problem is the ghiradeli white chocolate causing the separation. Will be testing this tomorrow.

44. GM on December 19, 2011 at 3:00 am

Confirmed, changing from Ghiradeli white chips to a higher quality chocolate fixed the problem with the white and dark chocolate separating when cut. Just made a new batch and it came out great! Let it cool at room temperature also, didn’t use the refrigerator at all.

• Michelle on December 20th, 2011 at 12:41 am

I actually mentioned above that I don’t use the white chips, only the baking bar. The properties do seem to be different.

• Dena on December 23rd, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Hi GM,

Can you give me a specific brand to buy for both the white and dark? I live in the Pittsburgh PA area — I have access to most brands being in a larger metro area.

Happy Holidays :)

• GM on December 24th, 2011 at 7:39 pm

The brand of chocolate I like is “Callebaut”. I believe it’s a fair trade Belgian chocolate. If you have any “Whole Foods” stores where you live, they should have it. You can probably google it too and find it close to you. Good luck!

• Michelle on December 26th, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Hi Dena, I live in Pittsburgh as well, and always use Ghiradelli baking bars for this peppermint bark. It’s readily available at Giant Eagle.

• Dena on December 27th, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Hi Michelle,

Thanks so much for the info. I used the Ghiradelli chips for the chocolate and the Ghiradelli candy making dipping bar for the white portion. I am going to try the regular baking bar for both portions before trying the candy dipping bar. I swear I’ve gained 15 lbs making candy and cookies this year so maybe I should just hold off until Valentine’s Day before giving it a “retry”…lol Thanks again.

45. Kelly on December 20, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I don’t have a double boiler. Can I microwave the chocolate?

• Michelle on December 20th, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Yes, definitely. Just microwave on 50% power in 30-second increments, stirring after each, until it’s completely melted and smooth.

46. Pingback: More Christmas cheer | Life After School

47. Pingback: Its been officially 27 days… « Bananas for Coffee

48. Pingback: Chocolate Bark with Cardamom, Apricots, and Pistachios Recipe | Leite's Culinaria

49. Jenny F. on March 1, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I just made this, and my kids think it’s the “goodest dessert ever!” I tried at Christmas time to make it, but I used white chips and they refused to melt and seized up …just like Wendie commented previously. I can use chips for the bottom layer with no problem. This time I bought bars of the white and had no trouble what so ever. I didn’t bother freezing the dark chocolate layer before I added the melted white chocolate layer, and I had no issues (my kitchen is pretty cold right now). It came out perfectly. I can’t wait to try the pretzel bark next and then the Halloween bark next fall! Thanks!

50. Pingback: Grasshopper Mint Chocolate Bark | Brown Eyed Baker

51. Pingback: Desserts | Pearltrees

52. Pingback: Rocky Road Chocolate Bark

53. Pingback: All Recipes | Grasshopper Mint Chocolate Bark

54. Kim on October 6, 2012 at 8:31 am

How long after made are these good until and can they be frozen ??

• Michelle on October 10th, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Hi Kim, No need to freeze this. You can store this in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 weeks.

55. Pingback: Who Loves Peppermint Bark? | Beautiful Circus

56. Pingback: 6 delicious ways to make chocolate bark | Chickabug

57. Angela Willis on December 14, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I have an odd question… do you think that this would be good with pretzels?!

• Michelle on December 14th, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Hi Angela, I’ve never tried it with pretzels, not sure how the pretzel flavor would pair with the peppermint, but I say give it a try! You could always only do pretzel on a portion to test it out first and see if you like it. Let me know how it goes!

58. Denise on December 14, 2012 at 10:29 pm

I read somewhere that if the temperature is too cold when you cut/break it, the layers can separate. It should be one at room temperature. Hope that helps.

59. Pingback: PEPPERMINT BARK–STEP BY STEP | theBitterSideofSweet

60. Amanda S on December 17, 2012 at 10:40 am

My first attempt at this was an epic fail but I tried a second time and it came out perfect. Here’s what I found:1. use ghiradelli white baking bars. I used nestle my first time since that’s all the store had and the melted chocolate never achieved a consistency that worked for spreading it. 2. Invest the $3 into the offset spatula. It makes getting a smooth thin layer of chocolate sooo much easier. 3. Make sure to spread the chocolate thin. My first batch separated when I broke it up because it was too thick.

Even the ugly stuff tasted good so I guess it wasn’t a total failure. Hope this helps some of you who had problems like I did.

61. Danielle on December 25, 2012 at 2:30 am

Agreement that the quality of the white chocolate makes a HUGE difference. Made this last year and it came out great, but couldn’t remember exactly what kind of chocolate I used. Tried it this year with ghiradelli dark and white chips and after cooling, the layers slid apart. Went back to the drawing board and picked up bakers white chocolate bars this time. Awesome consistency and no separation issues. I don’t think I could separate the layers even if i wanted to. After reading the ingredients in the ghiradelli white chips I noticed there were different kinds of oil in it that weren’t in the Bakers bars…so that might be what makes it more difficult to fuse.

Also, I mix in about half a bag of Andes peppermint crunch baking bits to my white layer. The resulting pink color might not be for everyone, but my family absolutely loves the resulting flavor.

62. jennie on December 26, 2012 at 11:06 am

I have made bark for years and recently my choco has been separateing thanks to this site i havefounf out why thank you so much. jenn

63. Pingback: A Clumsy Silence [& Free For All Friday] « On The Heights

64. Jessica on October 4, 2013 at 9:33 am

I found this recipe (almost positive it was this one) on pinterest and read through it once and figured I could do it by memory. Somehow I thought I needed to add peppermint extract to the vanilla choc. Well I did it that way and it came out amazing! I personally don’t like candy canes too much so I relied on the mint in the white choc. Good alternative for those who don’t like chewing hard candy. (I cant be the only one!) haha :)

• Dawn on December 15th, 2013 at 2:16 pm

I usually add peppermint extract to the white chocolate layer. How much did you add?

65. Pingback: Handmade gifts for Christmas | CHAMPAGNE CARTEL

66. Pingback: Foodies TV » Peppermint Bark

67. Pingback: Peanut Butter Swirl Chocolate Bark | Kitchen Gadgets for Cooking

68. Pingback: Best Pinterest Posts » Peanut Butter Swirl Chocolate Bark

69. Pingback: Best Pinterest Posts » The Weekend Dish: 12/14/2013

70. Pingback: Peanut Butter Swirl Chocolate Bark | Devil0S' Blog

71. Pingback: Italian Sesame Seed Cookies (Giuggiulena) | Devil0S' Blog

72. Laurie on December 23, 2013 at 6:23 pm

I used Hershey’s special dark chocolate kisses for the bottom layer and white chips for the top. I found, like most others, that the white chips didn’t melt as easily but I was able to muscle through and spread it out. My problem is, once it’s out of the freezer for a few minutes the dark layer starts to melt and get really messy. Is it because I used candy kisses instead of chips or bars? Still tastes great, but unfortunately it won’t hold up for gifts :( We’ll just keep it home in the fridge for us! Love your site!

• Michelle on December 24th, 2013 at 12:26 am

Hi Laurie, This could definitely be because of melting down Hershey’s kisses. I have never done that and am fairly certain they would not melt down anywhere close to the way pure chocolate would.

73. Laurie on December 24, 2013 at 10:19 am

Figured as much. Another dumb idea gone awry. Oh well. I’ll definitely try it again sometime with the right chocolate since it tastes amazing anyway. Happy Holidays to you and your family!

74. Pingback: Handmade gifts for Christmas | Champagne Cartel

75. Pingback: Haystacks

76. Pingback: Elegant Cakes – Cookies and Cream White Chocolate Bark

77. Pingback: Haystacks from Never Enough Thyme — Never Enough Thyme - Recipes with a slight southern accent.