Seven Layer Bars, aka Magic Bars – Seven glorious layers of graham crackers, nuts, chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, coconut and sweetened condensed milk!
Seven Layer Bars, also known as Magic Bars, have a graham cracker crumb base and are topped with a combination of nuts, chocolate chips, white chocolate, butterscotch and coconut, and held together by sweetened condensed milk.
In other words: Sweet. Rich. Delicious.
Grab a tall glass of milk and get your oven ready!
This recipe requires very few ingredients and a minimal amount of steps, which means that it can be thrown together in no time at all. If you keep an assortment of chips and coconut in your pantry, you could whip these up any time the mood strikes. I love that the sweetened condensed milk holds these bars together so well and that you get a mouthful of chips, nuts and toasted coconut in every single bite. SO good.
Earlier this summer, I attempted to recreate a version of a chocolate caramel bar that is sold at a nearby bakery… if you can’t get enough of seven layer bars, then check out those ultimate magic bars.
(The first time I made this recipe, I did so to cross them off of my baking bucket list – I’ve made significant progress since then!)
Seven Layer Bars
Seven glorious layers of graham crackers, nuts, chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, coconut and sweetened condensed milk!
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 9 whole graham crackers, crushed (about 1½ cups crumbs)
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans (can substitute walnuts)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- ½ cup butterscotch chips
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut, toasted
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- Adjust an oven rack to the lower-middle position and preheat to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×13-inch baking pan with non-stick spray. Line the pan with two overlapping pieces of foil or parchment paper, leaving the overhang to act as handles for lifting the bars out of the pan. Spray with non-stick spray.
- Combine the melted butter and graham cracker crumbs in a small bowl. Toss with your fingers until the butter is evenly distributed. Spread the crumbs evenly over the bottom of the prepared pan (this is not meant to be a crust, so you don’t need to press it flat and there will be some small bare spots along the bottom, that’s okay).
- In this order, sprinkle the pecans, chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, and coconut over the graham crumbs. Pour the condensed milk evenly over the entire dish.
- Bake until the top is golden brown, about 25 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack to room temperature, about 2 hours.
- Remove the bars from the pan using the foil or parchment handles and transfer to a cutting board. Using a sharp knife or bench cutter, cut into 2 by 3-inch bars.
[This recipe was originally published on June 17, 2009.]