Sugar Cookies for the Super Bowl

Okay, first things first… I’m from Pittsburgh and I love my Steelers. I couldn’t be more excited about their Super Bowl win – it’s a wonderful time to be from the Steel City!

nfl_090202_ap_steelerswin

Alright, my gloating over, I had a large cookie order for a Super Bowl party that consisted of 4 dozen of my gourmet chocolate chip cookies, and 3 dozen decorated football sugar cookies. While I’ve spent a lot of time practicing and perfecting the art of cake decoration, this was my first time doing fully decorated sugar cookies, and I have to say – I think they turned out pretty well!

footballs-3

I used a basic royal icing recipe to decorate these cookies and the method I used was to outline the footballs with a #2 tip and then flood the inside with thinned icing. Once dry, I outlined and flooded the white stripes on the sides and then used a #2 tip to add the laces at the top. I think I might be addicted to this and am looking forward to finding excuses to make other cookies to decorate!

If you haven’t decorated sugar cookies before, please check out the “Decorating with Royal Icing” tutorial that I have since posted. It is a step-by-step guide (with pictures) on how to decorate sugar cookies with royal icing.

45 Responses to “Sugar Cookies for the Super Bowl”

1. Joelen on February 5, 2009 at 9:18 am

What a great festive cookie for the Superbowl!!

2. Julie on February 5, 2009 at 10:05 am

The cookies look GREAT! I gave homemade fondant a try for the first time and decorated my cupcakes with the Steelers logo (HUGE Steelers fan)… but they were all consumed before I had a chance to take a picture!

3. Kate on February 5, 2009 at 12:53 pm

Yay Steelers! Those last 2 minutes of the fourth quarter were completely nerve-wracking.

4. Chelle on February 5, 2009 at 1:22 pm

KATE — Oh, tell me about it! Those last two and a half minutes certainly took at least a few years off of my life!

5. Meaghan on February 5, 2009 at 2:57 pm

I’ve been a cookie decorator for a decade and have trained tons of new decorators. I can definitely say, GREAT job! These look really wonderful. Bravo.

6. Felicia on February 5, 2009 at 6:34 pm

Those are so cute… and I love the Pampered Chef bakers mat….it is one of my favorites!!

7. Ari (Baking and Books) on February 5, 2009 at 8:57 pm

I love these! Everyone who get to eat them was lucky indeed!

8. Katie on February 5, 2009 at 9:19 pm

OH MY GOSH Chelle! They look FABULOUS!!!!!!! Great job! Really!!!

9. Annie on February 6, 2009 at 8:38 am

These turned out unbelievably cute!! Great job, I love them :)

10. Katrina on February 6, 2009 at 11:18 am

Awesome football cookies!

11. Amber on February 8, 2009 at 12:41 pm

Your cookies are amazing! Excellent job.

12. Maria on February 10, 2009 at 6:35 pm

Yahoo for the Steelers!! The cookies are amazing!! Nice job for your team!

13. Cheryl on February 11, 2009 at 2:05 pm

Those look great (and yummy too!). I’m a Cowboys fan, so I was upset we weren’t there. But, the game was very exciting anyway!!

14. Nicole on February 11, 2009 at 4:59 pm

Too cute! I love these.

15. Katie on February 12, 2009 at 11:25 am

Your cookies look so so good!

In honor of Valentine’s Day, I did a post (http://myfirstyearasawallace.blogspot.com/2009/02/in-honor-of-fact-that-its-valentines.html)on blogs that I *love* and you’re on that list! Thanks for having such a great blog! Your food is beautiful!

16. Erin on February 15, 2009 at 10:58 am

They look so cute, and really professional! Great job! I really want to try to decorate cookies sometime soon, so I’ll have to check back to the blogs you recommended.

17. Baizura Abu Bakar on June 10, 2010 at 4:45 am

Good job and keep it up! When I surf in the internet looking for Sugar Cookies, I found your website. Thanks for your tutorial, I can sit for a day to surf and learn anything to do with baking and cooking. Thanks again for your kindness and sharing, hope to learn gingerbread house – step by step. Have a nice day and take care!

18. Pingback: Cookies for the Super Bowl | Super Bowl Recipes | Brown Eyed Baker

19. Pingback: 45 Super Bowl Recipes for Super Bowl XLV | Brown Eyed Baker

20. Pingback: » Super Bowl Recipes - Divine Party Concepts

21. alexandra on February 5, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Thank you so much for the encouraging tutorial on Royal Icing. I made Super Bowl cookies this evening as my mother babysat and am really impressed with how they turned out. I have always wanted to try “flooding” and thanks to your great tips I was able to. Have a great game

22. Pingback: Steelers Colors in Cookies! | The Family Kitchen

23. Pingback: Foodista | Monday Night Football Cookies

24. Pingback: Football Themed Sweets – DessertedPlanet.com

25. Pingback: 75 Super Bowl Recipes for Super Bowl XLVI | Brown Eyed Baker

26. Pingback: 75 Super Bowl Recipes for Super Bowl XLVI | Biz Chicks

27. Pingback: Baked Asiago Hummus Recipe | Brown Eyed Baker

28. Lisa on October 25, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Hi! These cookies look amazing! Do you think they would ship okay? If so, any advice on that? Thanks!

• Michelle on October 26th, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Hi Lisa, I have shipped decorated sugar cookies before and I’ll be honest – it’s hit or miss. Sometimes they show up perfectly fine, and sometimes they can crack or break. I always wrap them individually and then try to use bubble wrap of some sort. This tutorial at Bake at 350 is really useful: http://bakeat350.blogspot.com/2009/11/shipping-cookies-and-twitter-works-for.html

• Lisa on October 26th, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Thank you SO much for responding so quickly and the link to the tutorial! :) I really appreciate it!!!
        Hope you have a great weekend!

29. Pingback: Best Pinterest Posts » 115 Recipes for Football Parties

30. Pingback: 23 Cute Football Snacks For Your Super Bowl Party | Monthly Recipes

31. Pingback: 23 Cute Football Snacks For Your Super Bowl Party : Grandmas Cooking

32. Pingback: 23 Cute Football Snacks For Your Super Bowl Party | GossipViews.com

33. Pingback: 23 Cute Football Snacks For Your Super Bowl Party | Cakado / Buzz

34. Pingback: 23 Cute Football Snacks For Your Super Bowl Party |Parkkar Lifestyles and News

35. Pingback: 23 Adorable Super Bowl Snacks | GossipViews.com

36. Pingback: Jeobox – 23 Adorable Super Bowl Snacks

37. Pingback: 23の魅力的なスーパーボウル軽食 | アメリカ最新美味しい~食事!こんな新しいメニュー見たことない!

38. Pingback: 23 Cute Football Snacks For Your Super Bowl Party | TheseNews.com

39. Pingback: Super Bowl = Super Food today on Monday Morning Inspiration | The Modern Jewish Wedding

40. Pingback: Super Bowl Party

41. Pingback: SUPER BOWL GAME DAY FOODIES: #12Man Style | The NW Fire Blog

42. Pingback: あなたのスーパーボウル党のための23のかわいいフットボール軽食 | アメリカ最新美味しい~食事!こんな新しいメニュー見たことない!

43. Pingback: あなたのスーパーボウル党のための23のかわいいフットボール軽食 | アメリカ最新美味しい~食事!こんな新しいメニュー見たことない!