Easter Egg Sugar Cookies

Easter Egg Sugar Cookies

Another holiday, and another excuse to decorate sugar cookies! I just adore decorating sugar cookies because of all of the colorful and creative variations that are possible. Just a few weeks ago I made some Shamrock cookies, a couple of which were less-than-traditional, and that is the fun of cookie decorating. The wonderful thing about doing Easter eggs is that they inherently lend themselves to being a blank canvas of sorts. Think of all the fun designs you would make on colored eggs when you were a kid. Now you can do the same thing, but on a cookie. These are perfect for a little something extra on your dessert table this Sunday, and they are sure to be a huge hit with the kids!

Are you ready to get your cookie cutter out? Just go and grab my sugar cookie recipe and instructions on how to decorate sugar cookies with royal icing. Have fun!

Happy Easter!

41 Responses to “Easter Egg Sugar Cookies”

1. jaclyn@todayslady on April 2, 2010 at 3:40 am

Wow these look so cute!!! Those are seriously the BEST Easter egg cookies I have ever seen!!! I love easter themed cookies/cupcakes….. the colors are so pretty!!

2. Jessica @ How Sweet It Is on April 2, 2010 at 6:52 am

Gorgeous cookies, girl!!

3. amanda @ fake ginger on April 2, 2010 at 7:55 am

I love your tutorial and reference it frequently but can you please tell me how you get your writing so perfect? Is it just something that comes with practice? Mine always looks like poo and yours is so beautiful!

• Michelle on April 3rd, 2010 at 10:21 pm

Aw, thank you Amanda! It really does just come with practice, lots of practice!

4. shelly (cookies and cups) on April 2, 2010 at 8:50 am

Very cute! I can’t wait to make mine today!

5. Jim-49 on April 2, 2010 at 9:11 am

Lady,you got it all right,”Very Nice”! I had some Easter cut uts,but out of all I saw,I picked the same cut outs.I thought tomarrow,I would get the granddaughter,and do some more teaching.I will look and help,but let her do all except the baking.Love the site!! May God Bless!!

6. Katrina on April 2, 2010 at 9:20 am

Ahhh these are so cute!! I want to eat them :)

7. Katie on April 2, 2010 at 10:04 am

So cute!!! Happy Easter, Chelle! :)

8. Tracy on April 2, 2010 at 10:12 am

Beautiful piping! I’m not sure my hand is that steady, haha.

9. Jen @ How To: Simplify on April 2, 2010 at 10:12 am

These cookies are adorable and perfect for Easter! The decoration is beautiful!

10. Michelle on April 2, 2010 at 10:21 am

Such cute cookies!

11. Melanie on April 2, 2010 at 10:26 am

You must have read my mind! Just yesterday I was searching your blog for a sugar cookie recipe and I was planning on whipping up some Easter cookies today!

12. Jenny Flake on April 2, 2010 at 10:30 am

Adorable!! Love them all :) Have a great Easter Weekend!

13. Mackenzie@ The Caramel Cookie on April 2, 2010 at 10:37 am

These are so pretty! Great job on the decoration!

14. Maria on April 2, 2010 at 10:40 am

Great job on the cookies! So fun!

15. bridget {bake at 350} on April 2, 2010 at 11:36 am

So, so cute! I love all of your different colors and patterns! Happy Easter! :)

16. Cookin' Canuck on April 2, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Great detail on these beautiful cookies. What a fun Easter treat!

17. Laura on April 2, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Those are adorable!

18. maggy on April 2, 2010 at 4:18 pm

These are so cute! I wish I was as talented in baking as you are.

19. Katrina on April 2, 2010 at 7:35 pm

Those are really awesome! I just posted some really cute baby chick sugar cookies today that use an egg shaped cutter. (Yours look much better skilled than mine.)

20. Brad on April 2, 2010 at 8:26 pm

Happy Easter, cool pic! Look like they could be colored eggs or cookies

21. LilSis on April 2, 2010 at 11:55 pm

These have to be the most adorably decorated Easter sugar cookies that I’ve ever seen!

22. Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) on April 3, 2010 at 5:20 am

Ahhh, adorable!!!

23. Lori from www.lemonsandlavender.com on April 3, 2010 at 11:33 am

Darling cookies! Such patience and dedication you have and it shows!

24. Aimee on April 3, 2010 at 6:51 pm

Your Easter cookies are just quintessentially sweet! They are true works of art! Happy Easter!

25. Mary Poppins in Heels on April 5, 2010 at 12:18 am

These are beautiful! I used your “How to Decorate With Royal Icing” post today to decorate cookies. You are so much better at it than I am, but I sure had fun trying!

26. Yael on April 5, 2010 at 4:42 am

So pretty- great job!

27. Hannah on April 5, 2010 at 10:15 pm

adorable!

28. Miriam/The Winter Guest on April 6, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Stunning!!

29. jo on April 6, 2010 at 8:18 pm

The sugar cookies are absolutely gorgeous and such spring colours as well.

30. Eftychia on March 28, 2011 at 6:36 am

Thank you so much for sharing with us this idea. I will start making some easter cookies as a gift for my friends soon.

31. Pingback: Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins | Brown Eyed Baker

32. Apron Appeal on April 15, 2011 at 12:42 pm

I would much rather decorate these over hard boiled eggs…but then no deviled eggs on easter? guess I’ll do both

33. Pingback: Easter Sweets | Two Peas in Their Pod

34. Pingback: 50 Easter Recipes | Brown Eyed Baker

35. Pingback: Pittsburgh Steelers Football Jersey Cookies | Brown Eyed Baker

36. Kathy on February 11, 2012 at 9:59 am

Thank you for your great recipe and tips! I want to make some wedding cake cookies for a bridal shower. My thoughts were to decorate with butter cream frosting so I could make “fancy” details on them, but I wanted to make the icing your royal icing, so they would look smooth. Can I use the butter cream frosting on the cookies after the royal icing has dried? I also need to bake them ahead of time, should I freeze before frosting them or would it be okay to frost, then freeze? I was even thinking to bag them individually before I froze them….what are your thoughts or tips for doing this?

• Michelle on February 12th, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Hi Kathy, Personally I think if you’re going to go through the trouble of making the royal icing to flood the cookies, I would just use it to decorate the cookies as well. It provides a lot more opportunity for decorating than buttercream.

I would definitely freeze these before you frost them. Frosted cookies can bleed color when they thaw.

37. Pingback: 95 of the Best Spring Recipes | Brown Eyed Baker