Dark Chocolate Truffles

Dark Chocolate Truffles

I fell in love with truffles approximately a year and a half ago. On my very first date with my Chief Culinary Consultant, he gave me a bag of Lindt dark chocolate truffles as a gift. During one of our conversations prior to going out for the first time, I had mentioned how much I love dark chocolate. He remembered, and he brought me dark chocolate truffles. What a man :)  I savored that bag of truffles for well over a month. Trying in earnest to eat only one a day so that they lasted as long as possible. Sure, I had eaten chocolate truffles before, but these were especially fabulous. Not only did I enjoy how smooth, creamy and delicious the truffles were, but they held a special place in my heart. Fast forward to my 30th birthday a little less than a month ago. After I was done getting ready for the hockey game we were going to, I found this basket waiting for me:

A huge Lindt chocolate gift basket full of goodies that I could.not.wait to rip into. Truffles, chocolate sauce, huge dark and milk chocolate bars, smaller dark chocolate and white chocolate bars, and… a cookbook! A cookbook full of chocolate recipes. This man certainly knows the way to this woman’s heart. These dark chocolate truffles were the first recipe that I tried from the book and as I expected, they were fabulous.

Dark Chocolate Truffles

I always like to coat my chocolate truffles in chocolate, so I typically melt additional dark chocolate with 1 teaspoon of shortening per cup or 6 ounces of chocolate and dip each truffles and place on a wax paper-lined baking sheet. (The shortening thins the chocolate a bit and gives it a shiny finish when it dries. I use it anytime I dip something in chocolate.) Alternately, you could roll the truffles in cocoa powder, powdered sugar, coconut, chopped nuts, whatever you’d like!

Truffle-Making Tips:

♦  When you stir together the chopped chocolate and the cream, do not use a whisk, as it will incorporate air into the mixture and make the truffle filling crumbly instead of smooth. Be sure to use a rubber spatula to stir.

♦  Make sure that the chocolate is chopped finely so that it melts evenly and completely in the cream.

♦  Ensure that the butter is at room temperature so that, again, it melts evenly and completely into the chocolate mixture.

♦  Work quickly with the ganache when shaping and dipping them, making sure that they do not get too warm and lose their shape.

♦  If you want to make rum, whiskey or any other alcohol-flavored truffles, replace 1-1/3 tablespoons of the cream with the liquor or brandy of your choice.

Dark Chocolate Truffles

One year ago: Chocolate Peanut Butter Torte
Two years ago: Homemade Marshmallows

Dark Chocolate Truffles

Yield: Approximately 20 truffles

Prep Time: 1 hour (active), 2 hours (inactive)

Total Time: 1 hour

Ingredients:

¼ cup heavy cream
5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 tablespoon butter, softened

Directions:

1. Heat the cream until it just comes to a boil, add the chopped chocolate, and remove the saucepan from the heat.

2. Stir the mixture with a rubber spatula until the chocolate is completely melted.

3. Stir in the butter until the ganache is smooth.

4. Put the ganache in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap, ensuring that the plastic makes contact with the entire surface of the ganache.

5. Refrigerate at least one hour (or overnight) until the ganache is set.

6. To form the truffles, use a melon baller to scoop the ganache into a ball and place on a wax paper-lined baking sheet.

7. Finish the truffles by dipping in your ingredient of choice. If dipping in chocolate, place the balls of ganace in the refrigerator or freezer for at least one hour or until thoroughly chilled before dipping.

81 Responses to “Dark Chocolate Truffles”

1. Married to an Aussie in OK on April 19, 2010 at 12:42 am

Ohhhhh chocolate heaven. I think these will be given as Christmas gifts this year with the traditional bread and some pysanky I’m going to make. And I may have lots and lots of leftovers to ‘test.’

2. Stacey on April 19, 2010 at 7:17 am

Mmmm. . .they look wonderful, I will have to try them! I have been experimenting with ganache as of late. It really is so easy to work wiht. I just love the look of a cake frosted with it. Bythe way, how long do you let your ganache cool a bit before frosting? The last cake I covered I had refrigereated over night before frosting because of the filling and found it much easier to cover.

• Michelle on April 19th, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Hi Stacey, I actually haven’t ever covered an entire cake in ganache so I’m afraid I don’t have a good answer for you. I have, however, topped desserts with ganache. In those instances, I just pour it on the top of the dessert as soon as it’s thoroughly mixed and spread to the edges. I then refrigerate to set it, about 30 minutes.

3. Jim-49 on April 19, 2010 at 7:57 am

Well,you sure brighten up a monday morning!! These look so good.I been working on truffles,and candy making,and its a little drawn out,but worth the time.You never let us down,always something special !! Thanks

4. Michelle on April 19, 2010 at 8:32 am

Lindt Chocolate is my favorite chocolate! Gorgeous basket of goodies!

5. Erin on April 19, 2010 at 9:33 am

I love truffles too! They are the perfect treat :)

6. bridget {bake at 350} on April 19, 2010 at 11:04 am

Great tips! Truffles are like heaven on earth…and yours look heavenly! :)

7. Jen @ How To: Simplify on April 19, 2010 at 11:55 am

These truffles are gorgeous!

8. Tracy on April 19, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Mmm, I love me some chocolate truffles. These look so rich!

9. Katrina on April 19, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Oh boy. TRUFFLES! Can’t wait to try these guys out. They’re beautiful!

10. bunkycooks on April 19, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Truffles…there are not many more decadent things on earth!

11. Allison on April 19, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Wow! Those truffles look gorgeous! And thanks for the tips! They will definitely help me out next time I make truffles. =)

12. Maria on April 19, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Amazing photos!

13. Veronica Miller on April 19, 2010 at 7:31 pm

Looks like you got yourself a keeper! :) Love the photos–the truffles look amazing.

14. Cookin' Canuck on April 19, 2010 at 8:34 pm

What a beautiful job you did on these truffles! They are absolutely perfect and your photos really show them off well.

15. April Kofler on April 19, 2010 at 10:00 pm

These look really good. I will have to make them for my anniversary.

16. Jenny Flake on April 19, 2010 at 11:13 pm

Looks Heavenly!! I could so down way too many of these!

17. maggy on April 20, 2010 at 6:45 am

Those are gorgeous – so rich and delicious.

18. shelly (cookies and cups) on April 20, 2010 at 9:16 am

Those look so delicious!! Yummy and pretty :)

19. Heather (Heather's Dish) on April 20, 2010 at 3:08 pm

wow, these are stunning! what an amazing creation!

20. Julia on April 20, 2010 at 3:12 pm

These just gave me an insane chocolate craving…Only thing I can find is trail mix with m&Ms. So I’m staring at the truffles imagining that is what each M&M is.

21. Jennifer on April 20, 2010 at 3:19 pm

These look so delicious! I’m thinking of making them for Mother’s Day.

22. Skylar on April 20, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Those look amazing! Seriously rich

23. Chef Dennis on April 20, 2010 at 4:14 pm

what beautiful truffles!! they look just perfect, mmmmm chocolate

24. Marcia on April 20, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Beautiful truffles. How did you make the white frosting with which you decorated the truffles?

• Michelle on April 20th, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Hi Marcia,

I just used candy melts from Wilton (I bought them at Michael’s craft store) – I melted them, then put them in a piping bag with a #2 tip and piped the drizzle over the truffles.

25. Belinda @zomppa on April 20, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Perfect! Thanks for the tips – my first ones were OK, but not quite like this.

26. sweetlife on April 20, 2010 at 9:24 pm

great tips..I have always wanted to make truffles…great pics

sweetlife

27. The Chocolate Priestess on April 21, 2010 at 9:37 am

Another person who can make truffles. I’m so envious of that skill.

If anyone is interested, this week on my blog we are giving away a hot chocolate maker.

28. Bibi on April 21, 2010 at 4:38 pm

I love truffles. Yours look fantastic.

29. tailynn on April 21, 2010 at 7:53 pm

have you tried lindtz dark chocolate with a sea salt? OMG, I’m addicted.

30. Winnie on April 21, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Mmmm…these look great. And not too hard to make! I am going to give them a try!

31. Fuji Mama on April 21, 2010 at 10:07 pm

What an awesome guy! LOVE all the tips and tricks. These look absolutely incredible.

32. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on April 22, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Your truffles are stunning! And, I love all of your great trips. I love to make truffles, and now I’m thinking I’ll have to make some this weekend!

33. Joy on April 22, 2010 at 11:18 pm

Yours looks great! I never get them to look so nice.

34. Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) on April 27, 2010 at 9:02 am

Oh what a grey guy!! These look delicious! I’m sure half of the reason he bought you the stuff was so that you’d make things like this out of it :P :P

35. Pingback: 30 Favorite Christmas Cookies & Recipes | Brown Eyed Baker

36. Carrie on December 12, 2010 at 10:28 am

Any tips on getting truffles to actually be round balls instead of the crazy shapes that I ended up with? Mine look a little wacky, but still taste AMAZING!

• Michelle on December 12th, 2010 at 11:57 pm

Hi Carrie, I use a small cookie scoop to scoop out the ganache filling. That tends to keep them (somewhat) roundish :)

37. Sai on December 27, 2010 at 5:35 pm

are you and mr. truffle man still together?

38. Pingback: Deviled Eggs Recipe | Brown Eyed Baker

39. Julie on July 31, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Hi

What did you use to frost them?

Thanks

• Michelle on August 1st, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Hi Julie, I just used candy melts (you can get them at Michaels – Wilton brand) – melted down, and then piped on using a #2 decorating tip.

40. Gordon on October 20, 2011 at 11:48 am

omg that looks delicious. I rarely see going this much detail when it comes to making tasty chocolate respect.

41. Pingback: 75 of the Best Christmas Recipes | Brown Eyed Baker

42. Janelle McLaughlin on December 1, 2011 at 8:40 am

Hi! I stumbled upon your blog looking for a good hot chocolate mix recipe. I am also a chocolate lover!! I wanted to ask if you know about fair trade chocolate? My family and I learned about it around 4 years ago and it has changed our chocolate consumption forever. Google slavery in chocolate for an eye-opening education. Thanks!

43. Sarah K on December 1, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Hi! I was looking to make some of these truffles for Christmas. How long are they good for once they are made? How far in advance can you make these? Can you freeze them to make the last longer? Any advice would be great! Thanks! By the way, I love your blog! I check it everyday and tell people how much I love the recipes I find on here! =)

• Michelle on December 1st, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Hi Sarah, You can make these a couple of weeks in advance and keep them chilled. I’ve never frozen them so I can’t speak to that.

44. jubilee on December 2, 2011 at 8:39 am

Hi there, I was wondering if I could substitute whole milk instead of the heavy cream. Will the ganache not come out as thick?

• Michelle on December 3rd, 2011 at 10:13 am

I’m not sure if the ganache would work with whole milk, I don’t think it would thicken up enough.

45. Pingback: 75 of the Best Christmas Recipes | Biz Chicks

46. Katie S on December 26, 2011 at 11:44 am

These look wonderful! I tried making them for Christmas but after I refrigerated the ganache it was too hard to work with- hard like plain melted and cooled chocolate. Any idea what I did wrong??

• Michelle on December 26th, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Hi Katie, I wonder if the butter didn’t get melted the whole way? Usually butter can harden significantly in the refrigerator. Did you make any changes or alterations to the recipe or technique?

47. Kelly on February 6, 2012 at 8:54 pm

I was wondering, if I wanted to put a coffee-ish twist on this, could I incorporate instant espresso? Could I just put a teaspoon in the milk? Thanks.

• Michelle on February 7th, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Absolutely! Great idea!

48. Esther on February 11, 2012 at 12:40 am

Looks so fabulous! I really want to make this recipe for my family. What kind of chocolate did you use?

• Michelle on February 12th, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Hi Esther, I used Ghiradelli baking bars for these. Enjoy!

49. Pingback: Oatmeal Fudge Bars | Brown Eyed Baker

50. Ananya on June 20, 2012 at 4:40 pm

These truffles look great! I can’t wait to test them out and give them to my parents and grandparents and brother. This is probably one of your best recipes!

51. Pingback: Cheers to Cabernet

52. michelle on October 2, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Hi! I just made the ganache.. and will finish them up tonight! Quick question though- my ganache only filled up one ramekin… hard for me to imagine this will yield 20 truffles??

• Michelle on October 3rd, 2012 at 11:27 am

Hi Michelle, It really depends on how large you make them. I use either the small end of a melon baller or a teaspoon-sized cookie scoop.

53. Tara on October 28, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Hey :)
    I made the ganache about 4 hours ago and it has been chilling since. I tightly wrapped clear plastic around the bowl, but it does not appear to be setting up very well. It’s has thickened quite a bit since the start of the process but is still slow moving if I tilt the bowl. This is my first time making anything like this was wondering if i’m just being impatient or if possibly something went wrong somewhere. I did follow the recipe exact and everything went smoothly just wondering if I need to keep waiting or start over. Thanks!

• Michelle on October 30th, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Hi Tara, I would just wait it out. It’ll firm up eventually… the time it takes could depend on the exact temperature it was starting out, how full your fridge it, what the temperature is set at, etc.

54. Linda on November 16, 2012 at 7:42 pm

They look delicious, I can’t wait to try them. Do you use the same bittersweet chocolate for the dipping of the truffles?

• Michelle on November 17th, 2012 at 11:54 am

Yes, you can, or any other type of chocolate you’d like.

55. Jaime on December 8, 2012 at 12:35 pm

I am planning on making these for Christmas gifts and I wanted to make them hazelnut flavored. If I replace 1-1/3 tablespoons of the cream with hazelnut extract do you think that would work?

• Michelle on December 9th, 2012 at 10:46 am

Hi Jaime, You don’t want to eliminate the cream, and you don’t want that much hazelnut extract (it would be too much). Leave the cream as-is, and then add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of the hazelnut extract (depending on how strong you want the flavor to be).

56. Rezii on December 30, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Hello,
    I was wondering if I can user margarine instead of butter here?

• Michelle on December 31st, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Hi Rezii, I have not tried substituting margarine, so I can’t guarantee if using it would alter the results in any way. I usually advocate using the ingredients called for to ensure the recipe turns out properly.

57. Emma on January 21, 2013 at 5:18 pm

I’m going to try and make these, and I’m going to use your tip to dip them in a chocolate/shortening mixture. Much as I hate using shortening for anything, I can see that it would give that store-bought glisten which, let’s face it, we all crave :)
    Is the drizzle simply white chocolate? I ask because it looks like you must have mixed something in with the white chocolate, making it slightly thicker and more zigzag-able.

58. Emma on January 21, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Ah, that’s what I get for not reading all the comments. I see now that you used candy melts and piped it on using a #2 tip. Do you think piping simple melted white chocolate would have the same result, thickness-wise? I’m thinking no :(

• Michelle on January 22nd, 2013 at 10:03 am

Hi Emma, You can use white chocolate, but you would need to melt it with shortening to thin it out and make it a good piping consistency. Without that, it would be very “gloppy”. Also, be sure to use real white chocolate and not white chocolate chips – they don’t melt down very well.

59. Pingback: For Your Valentine « oh so decadent

60. Alisha on October 9, 2013 at 7:29 pm

After refrigerating them and then shaping and dipping them, do you put them back in the refrigerator?

• Michelle on October 11th, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Hi Alisha, Yes, to keep them nice and firm I would put them back in the refrigerator.

61. Pingback: Salted Whiskey Truffles | The Sassy Apron

62. Pingback: Best Pinterest Posts » 157 Christmas Cookies & Holiday Recipes

63. Pingback: Best Pinterest Posts » 140 Valentine’s Day Recipes

64. Affordable valentine gift ideas on March 21, 2014 at 7:07 am

Dark chocolate is very beneficial for our heart and blood. Every day after taking dinner, I used to eat dark chocolate. Now I will try these dark chocolate truffles.

65. Choose the Right Gourmet Food for Gift on March 25, 2014 at 3:36 am

I am a big fan of dark chocolate truffles. Thank you so much for providing the recipe of my favorite dish.