Pistachio & Cranberry White Chocolate Bark

Every year for Christmas, peppermint bark is an absolute must-have for me. Back when I was working my first job out of college, my boss gave me a tin of Williams Sonoma peppermint bark (she was feeding the foodie monster and didn’t even know it), and I fell in love. The next year, I started making my own and I haven’t looked back. In addition to my regular peppermint bark, I wanted to experiment this year with some other types of festive barks, especially after making Toffee Pretzel Bark this summer and being totally enamored by it as well.

One of my favorite biscotti variations to make during the holidays is a simple, vanilla-flavored dough with dried cranberries, pistachios and white chocolate chips. Voilà! I had my first bark variation for this year figured out!

I love how festive the red cranberries and green pistachios are, and against the creamy white backdrop, this bark is a gorgeous addition to a cookie tray or even to put into individual tins or goodie bags for giving as gifts.

I’m admittedly a little (okay, a lot) finicky about my white chocolate, because sometimes the cheaper brands can taste chalky and/or too sickeningly sweet to me. If you’re just throwing white chocolate chips into a cookie it’s not such a big deal, but with the white chocolate playing such a prominent role in a recipe like this, I’m a big advocate of using good quality white chocolate. My personal favorite is Lindt – it’s smooth and creamy, not too sweet, and you can find it pretty much everywhere.

Do you have a favorite type of chocolate bark?

Housekeeping Note: The blog will be in maintenance mode late this evening for about an  hour or so for some back end upgrades and some new sidebar content. The splash page will give you an idea of when it will be back online, and it should only be unavailable for a very short amount of time. Thanks for your patience!

One year ago: Homemade Oreo Cookies

Pistachio & Cranberry White Chocolate Bark

Yield: 1 lb. of bark

Prep Time: 15 minutes (active), 30 minutes (inactive)

Total Time: 45 minutes

Ingredients:

1 lb. white chocolate
½ cup shelled pistachios
½ cup dried cranberries

Directions:

1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

2. Melt the white chocolate over a double boiler (or in 30-second intervals in the microwave on 50% power, stirring after each). Once the chocolate is melted, remove from the heat and let sit for a few minutes to cool slightly, stirring occasionally. Add the pistachios and cranberries and stir to combine.

3. Spread the chocolate mixture onto the prepared pan in an even layer (depending on the size of the pan and how thick you'd like your bark, you may not need the entire surface of the pan).

4. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or until set.

5. Using a sharp knife, cut the bark into pieces. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

79 Responses to “Pistachio & Cranberry White Chocolate Bark”

1. LimeCake on December 3, 2010 at 12:45 am

For the holidays, my favourite kind of bark is anything with peppermint in it. White chocolate and peppermint perhaps? Thanks for this wonderful recipe!

• Dianne on December 11th, 2011 at 2:36 pm

These look so beautiful! I am going to make them with my gandchilden this afternoon! Looks easy enough for pre-schoolers to “play” with! Thanks for the reipe and the photos!
      Dianne

2. Dimitra @ Snarky Sister on December 3, 2010 at 2:21 am

I love chocolate bark, but I’m a traditionalist – milk chocolate and almonds is my fave.

I have to tell you your blog is AWESOME! I have been reading it for about a year and all the changes you’ve made are amazing – plus, you’ve basically added 2 additional blogs within the main blog – where do you find the time? I think you’re my new hero! Congrats on the shout out on Pioneer Woman too – well deserved :)

• Michelle on December 6th, 2010 at 11:06 pm

Thank you so much for the comment and kind words Dimitra! I’m so glad you enjoy the site!

3. the blissful baker on December 3, 2010 at 3:44 am

white chocolate bark is so pretty! the cranberry and pistachio colors are so perfect for the holidays. it looks super yummy too :)

4. bianca on December 3, 2010 at 3:45 am

oh. my. greatness. drool!

5. Jennie @ Oh, Sweet Day! on December 3, 2010 at 6:27 am

Ive never done my Christmas bark like this but I love it already!! The green and red make a perfect contrast too :)

6. Estela @ Weekly Bite on December 3, 2010 at 6:30 am

I love the pistachio and cranberry combo! This looks delicious :)

7. Katrina on December 3, 2010 at 7:40 am

I’m loving all these different kinds of bark that you’re making!! They all look so tasty.

8. Michelle on December 3, 2010 at 8:17 am

I make my bark with dark chocolate, pistachio and cranberries. Delightful!

9. Debbie B. on December 3, 2010 at 8:20 am

I pretty much love ALL white chocolate barks! I agree that it’s worth getting nice white chocolate, when it’s the main ingredient it’s gotta be good. I love wc bark with pretzels and peanuts (thanks Paula Deen)!

10. Eileen on December 3, 2010 at 8:51 am

Michelle,

Which form of Lindt white chocolate do you use? Is it the bar? Please let me know :)) Looks delightful!

• Michelle on December 6th, 2010 at 11:08 pm

Hi Eileen, Yes, it’s in a bar. I find it in the candy aisle of the grocery store. Just their bar of regular white chocolate (in a blue and white wrapper). I think it’s 4.4 ounces.

11. karen d on December 3, 2010 at 8:52 am

YUMMMM!!! Never really been a fan of white chocolate, this just changed my mind.

12. Paula on December 3, 2010 at 8:57 am

Your bark is so pretty and festive and I bet it tastes just heavenly.

13. RavieNomNoms on December 3, 2010 at 8:59 am

Oh my goodness, what such great flavors all packed into one little piece of bark! I love it, the colors are just sensational too!

14. Kim Beauchamp on December 3, 2010 at 9:30 am

Cranberries, pistachios…I think I could convince myself that this qualifies as health food. What a perfect alternative to peppermint bark!

15. Blog is the New Black on December 3, 2010 at 9:33 am

gorgeous! I want to make this for Christmas. Thanks for sharing!!!!

16. Nourhan @ Miss Anthropist's Kitchen on December 3, 2010 at 9:35 am

My favorite white chocolate is also by Lindt! So amazing! Great job with the recipe, I lovee your blog :)

17. Anita on December 3, 2010 at 10:00 am

Ghirardelli white chocolate with fresh lemon zest, dried blueberries and toasted almond slivers-that combo disappears rapidly in my house!

• NanaBread on December 3rd, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Wow! That one sounds great, Anita! I think I may just make a collection of barks this Christmas instead of cookies. One of my favorites is dark chocolate with toasted macadamia nuts and big coconut flakes, but the pistachio/cranberry is calling my name, and I’m adding your lemon/blueberry/almond to the list, too. And that pretzel bark. Yum.

• Michelle on December 6th, 2010 at 11:09 pm

Anita, That sounds amazing! I will definitely be trying that! Thank you for sharing!

18. foodlvr on December 3, 2010 at 10:32 am

I also had an epiphany when seeing Williams-Sonoma Peppermint Bark, this was probably 8-10 years ago. I went home and asked around for a recipe. I came up with my own version and it has been a hit for years. People actually give me empty tins for me to fill.

I already made 2 batches, last year I also made Ina Garten’s chocolate bark that had pistachios and dried fruit in it and that was great.

I find it the easiest candy to make.

19. Krystle on December 3, 2010 at 10:45 am

Ok this chocolate bark is so colorful and pretty, I love it! I have never made chocolate bark for some reason, although I do always buy the tin at William Sonoma every year. I think this pic makes me want to go home tonight and make some!

20. Chiot's Run on December 3, 2010 at 10:55 am

The colors of this are particularly stunning, I love the green and the red with the creamy white chocolate – beautiful!

21. Ram on December 3, 2010 at 11:09 am

I love the combination of white chocolate, pistachio and cranberries. I make biscotti with the same combination where I dip half of biscotti in white chocolate. By the way where do you get your pistachios, the ones in my grocery doesn’t look fresh and it’s salted. What brand of white chocolate do you use? I’ll be making this for giveaways, would it melt in the mail?

• Michelle on December 6th, 2010 at 11:11 pm

Hi Ram, I buy my pistachios (as well as all the nuts I use for baking including walnuts, pecans, almonds and peanuts) in bulk at Sam’s Club. I use Lindt white chocolate. And finally, chipping of chocolate bark might be dicey. I think it keeps best in the fridge until a little before you want to serve it so it doesn’t get too soft. And white chocolate especially will melt a little quicker than a dark chocolate.

22. Denise on December 3, 2010 at 11:11 am

How festive and gorgeous!!

I had to link your recipe off my blog too! http://bit.ly/f5VXo9

23. Scarletta @ Scarletta Bakes on December 3, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Simple, delicious and festive – I can’t wait to try it.

Thanks so much for the recipe!

24. Melanie on December 3, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Wow, that does look festive! I love the pistachio/cranberry combo. I don’t have a favorite bark…probably because I enjoy just about every version.

25. DessertForTwo on December 3, 2010 at 2:01 pm

This is absolutely gorgeous! Beats peppermint bark in my book any day!

26. Tracy on December 3, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Lovely bark! I love how colorful and festive it is!

27. Lisa on December 3, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Ok, between reading this and your Peppermint Bark recipes, I’m now on a mission to make some bark myself. I’m glad to know it’s so easy to make!

28. Sues on December 3, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Wow, I love making holiday bark but this one looks so much better than any I’ve seen before! White chocolate, cranberries, and pistachios?? Heaven!

29. Delishhh on December 3, 2010 at 4:54 pm

These are gorgeous. I am a huge white chocolate fan and with cranberries. Sounds fantastic. Now can you figure one out for me with coconut :)

30. Deborah on December 3, 2010 at 5:24 pm

I’m pretty sure that this would be very dangerous for me. I think I could eat a whole batch myself!!

31. The Coffee Break on December 3, 2010 at 5:51 pm

These look absolutely delicious! Wouldn’t mind to have some right now ;)

32. Sandra on December 3, 2010 at 10:44 pm

What a striking photograph!

33. Kerstin on December 4, 2010 at 1:10 am

So pretty and perfect for the holidays with the red and green – love it! Thanks for the link love to my recipe the other weekend too :)

• Michelle on December 6th, 2010 at 11:12 pm

You’re welcome, Kerstin! :)

34. emiglia on December 4, 2010 at 5:28 am

So pretty! I love the combination of pistachios and cranberries in Christmas goodies… not only for the color combo!

35. Pauline on December 4, 2010 at 8:14 am

Fruit and nut – that’s me – looks good and totally agree with you on the white chocolate quality, in fact all chocolate quality – now I know where to look in the USA. I like the colours this has – great photo.

36. kateiscooking on December 4, 2010 at 8:31 am

What a beautiful candy! Love the combo of pistachios and cranberries in anything.

37. The Chocolate Priestess on December 4, 2010 at 8:43 am

This has to be the first white chocolate bark candy I’ve ever seen but you know, it makes wonderful and beautiful sense for this season in the Northern Hemisphere.

38. Annie on December 4, 2010 at 10:29 am

I’ve been seeing a lot of bark recipes lately. I can’t believe I’ve never made it myself beings that it is so darn easy! Great recipe!

39. Vicki @ Wilde in the Kitchen on December 4, 2010 at 1:56 pm

I love the simplicity of this recipe. Melt, mix, cool :) Sounds perfect for a crazy holiday season, pretty too.

40. Simply Life on December 5, 2010 at 8:44 am

Oh I am definitely saving this recipe – it looks incredible!

41. CaSaundra on December 5, 2010 at 9:12 am

Surprisingly, I’ve never made chocolate bark! But it’s definitely on my list of to-do’s this holiday season! Yours look fabulous by the way! :-)

42. Emily Z on December 5, 2010 at 10:47 am

I have not yet attempted to make chocolate bark but you may have just inspired me to try. This looks amazing, and perfect combination for the holidays.

43. Kimberly @ Servantless American Cook on December 5, 2010 at 11:15 am

So pretty and festive!

44. Cook in a Bar on December 5, 2010 at 11:21 am

What a Christmasy looking treat! Thanks for sharing.

45. Jenn @ the kitchen dish on December 5, 2010 at 7:47 pm

This is so unique but sounds amazing. I may have to give these a try!

46. Theresa on December 5, 2010 at 10:34 pm

That looks really christmasy. Haven’t heard of chocolate bark before but I think I might want to give it a try! Especially since I’ve some valrhona white chocs feves in the fridge!

47. Baking Serendipity on December 5, 2010 at 11:09 pm

Pistachios and cranberries are one of my favorite combinations all year long, but at the holidays, they are even better. I love the festive colors in your bark! What a great idea :)

48. bergamot on December 5, 2010 at 11:46 pm

This looks delicious. I am not fond of white chocolate but this looks really appetising.

49. Vaishali on December 6, 2010 at 12:31 am

Wow! This looks beautiful!

50. Sommer @ A Spicy Perspective on December 6, 2010 at 1:02 pm

It is definitely festive! Candy bark is something I always look forward to around the holidays!

51. Cookin' Canuck on December 9, 2010 at 8:34 am

This is one of the prettiest barks I have seen. This would be perfect to give to friends and neighbors – after keeping a little for ourselves.

52. Jenn @ the kitchen dish on December 11, 2010 at 12:40 am

This bark is so good! I love the use of white chocolate; it’s a lot less sweet than milk chocolate and I love any kind of sweet/salty combo. Thanks for sharing.

53. Jen @ How To: Simplify on December 12, 2010 at 12:14 am

What a delicious flavor combo!

54. avril on December 12, 2010 at 5:18 pm

You have soooo encouraged me to make candy bark this holiday season! I love all the recipes you have offered here on your blog for candy bark….goodness I will just have to make ALL of them! :-)

55. Lizzy on December 13, 2010 at 2:52 pm

I make candy bark all the time but this looks like its much healthier and holiday appropriate.

56. Irma on December 20, 2010 at 11:30 am

Hi Michelle,
    You said you use Lindt white chocolate. How does that compare to Baker’s white chocolate (the one in blocks)? Do you prefer the way Lindt tastes over Baker’s?
    Thank you!
    Irma.
    P.S: I’ve never made bark before, but my mom loves white chocolate and she has a great surprise headed her way (thanks to you :D )

• Michelle on February 16th, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Hi Irma, I don’t like Baker’s chocolate at all. I don’t like Nestle white chocolate either. Ghiradelli isn’t bad, but I do think that Lindt is the best.

57. foodlvr on December 20, 2010 at 10:03 pm

I use Ghiradelli white chocolate. Shop Rite has it for $1.99 bar right now. I had 6 bars in the cupboard and I bought 4 more at that price. It went down 30 cents in the last week. I stock up when it gets this cheap so I have it for Zvalentine’s Day.

BTW, I made dark chocolate bark last week wiith pistachios and crystallized Ginger. amazing. I find it funny how impressed people are when you give them homemade bark and yet it is the easiest candy to make.

58. Flannery Buchanan on December 22, 2010 at 12:25 pm

These look sooooo amazing! We’re totally making these this year. We featured you over on our cookie link up! Thanks for the recipe.

59. Christine on December 23, 2010 at 11:06 am

Hi Michelle!
    This recipe caught my eye on the Tasty Kitchen forum and hence, I found your website–which I absolutely love, by the way.

I made this bark recipe last night and it’s a new favorite, for sure! It was so easy to make, looks so festive and is absolutely delicious. I’m giving some to my friends and I just know they’re going to love it as well. Thanks for the wonderful recipe.

Merry Christmas! :)

60. Aneta on September 23, 2011 at 6:15 am

Love it!!!

61. Christmas Films on November 17, 2011 at 5:02 pm

This looks so delicious. Thanks for this Christmas treat. I am sure my kids will love this!!

62. Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING on December 1, 2011 at 1:28 pm

I’ve never tasted Pistachio Bark and I love Cranberries and White Chocolate. I am sure this is delish!

We’d love for you to come link it up to our 12 Days of Christmas Goodies! Today we are featuring…. BARK (and I think this is perfect)!

63. Kate on December 13, 2011 at 5:31 pm

I cannot wait to make this. IT sounds delicious but
    different and festive!!! Thanks for the recipe!!!

64. Hope on November 27, 2012 at 2:03 pm

What kind of pistachios do you use? Are they baked and salted?

• Michelle on November 27th, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Hi Hope, Yes, roasted and salted.

65. Juanita@ crucianyumcatering on November 28, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Loved the idea, I actually make this as well but just wh.ite and dark.chocolate swirl bark. Ill definitely try this recipe. Thanks, feel free ti visit us on facebook,twitter and pintetest

66. Bonita on December 7, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Just letting you know that I linked to this recipe on my page about National White Chocolate Day: http://www.zujava.com/white-chocolate-day . I’ve made a dark chocolate version of this recipe, but it never occurred to me to use white chocolate, which is my favorite. Thanks for the recipe!

67. Amanda on October 6, 2013 at 4:07 am

This looks amazing and a fabulous Christmas gift! How long do you think it will store in a kilner jar, and do you ever temper the chocolate before making bark? Thanks x

• Michelle on October 6th, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Hi Amanda, I’m not sure what a kilner jar is, but this will keep for about two weeks at room temperature or in the refrigerator. I do not temper the chocolate before making the bark.

68. wendyworldly on December 15, 2013 at 12:26 am

I have just made this…it spread nicely to cover a baking pan measuring 21.5 x 28.5 cm (sorry for the metric measurements, I live in Oz), glad I didn’t use my usual large cookie sheet. I toasted the pistachios. Can’t wait to try it and give it for gifts!

69. Amy Grossman on December 22, 2013 at 11:31 pm

First, I love your blog! I’ve been following it for about a year now, and always look forward to it. I made this bark today for gift giving. Of course, I made some for us too. It’s fabulous! Super yummy and really, pretty. Thank you.