Salted Caramel Cashew Bark

I told you yesterday when I introduced you to the Sea Salt Caramels that we would be doing something special with them today, and… ta da!

A couple of weeks ago I met a friend of mine for lunch and mentioned that after lunch I was heading to the mall. She asked if I hit up the Godiva store when I go, and I realized that I really don’t. I had only been in there once with another girlfriend who had stopped in to buy chocolate-covered strawberries. Well, she planted the seed and there was no way I was going to walk by Godiva without stopping in that day. And so a couple of hours later I strolled by and jumped right in. They were running a special on the chocolate in their display case where you could buy three or four and get one free, or something to that effect. So I went to work deciding on what I would sample… I picked up a couple of truffles and then saw a salted caramel and cashew bark. It was a no-brainer. You could get it in milk or dark chocolate, and I went straight for the milk. I held out until the car ride home, and then dug in. I was immediately smitten and knew instantaneously that I would need to recreate it at home as soon as possible.

I love how the warm chocolate makes the salted caramels a little melty – they get a little gooey and become one with the chocolate. Sublime, I tell you.

Making chocolate bark is one of my all-time favorite treats. They are especially great around the holidays, but as my recent mall trip proved – amazing chocolate bark is meant to be enjoyed year-round. So I hope you don’t wait until the snow falls to give some bark a try! (Although I always reserve my peppermint bark for Christmas!)

Some other bark variations:
Peppermint Bark
Pistachio & Cranberry White Chocolate Bark
Toffee Pretzel Bark

One year ago: White Sicilian Pizza with Flaky, Pastry-Style Crust
Three years ago: Chicken Pot Pie
Four years ago: Chili-Rice Dinner

Salted Caramel Cashew Bark

Yield: About 1 lb. of candy

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 45 minutes

Ingredients:

1 pound milk chocolate, chopped
½ cup chopped sea salt caramels
½ cup salted cashews

Directions:

1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.

2. Using a double boiler or in a microwave in 30-second increments at 50% power, melt the chocolate until smooth.

3. Stir in the chopped caramels and cashews. Pour the mixture onto the pan and spread into an even layer (it won't cover the whole pan). Sprinkle on some extra chopped caramels and cashews.

4. Refrigerate the pan for about 30 minutes, or until set. Break the bark into pieces and serve. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

46 Responses to “Salted Caramel Cashew Bark”

1. CouponClippingCook on September 23, 2011 at 1:59 am

This combination of flavors sounds really good. Salt and chocolate taste so good together…adding the salted cashews gives this the perfect texture. Your pictures just made me crave this!

2. Lauren at Keep It Sweet on September 23, 2011 at 5:41 am

This bark looks fantastic, especially since I adore the combination of salted caramel and chocolate!

3. Katrina on September 23, 2011 at 6:50 am

This looks lovely. Bark is such a fun recipe to make!

4. Jennifer@Peanut Butter and Peppers on September 23, 2011 at 7:02 am

Your on a roll this week! All these wonderful chocolate treats, fudges and barks! I need to book mark this! My husband would love it!!! I also saw you made Peppermint Bark, thats my favorite!! My Christmas treat to me!! By the way I love your photographs.

5. Angela on September 23, 2011 at 7:05 am

Do you have a favorite chocolate to use?

• Michelle on September 23rd, 2011 at 9:23 am

Hi Angela, I usually use Ghiradelli.

6. Liz @ Microwave Goddess on September 23, 2011 at 8:48 am

Oh this flavor combo sounds yummy and pretty easy!

7. Michele (also a brown eyed baker) on September 23, 2011 at 9:19 am

I was wondering as well what brand chocolate you use? I usually use a cheaper quality chocolate when I make bark simply because I put so many other flavors in with it, but I would LOVE to find a different option.

• Michelle on September 23rd, 2011 at 9:24 am

Hi Michele, I usually use Ghiradelli for everything, with the exception of white chocolate. I love Lindt’s white chocolate, so if I’m using a large amount of white, I’ll use Lindt.

8. Erin on September 23, 2011 at 9:22 am

Oh wow! I love this combination of flavors. Great recipe.

9. thelittleloaf on September 23, 2011 at 9:25 am

I adore anything with salted caramel…throw in chocolate and you don’t get much better. Love the idea of using cashews too…a little bit different from your usual peanut or pecan combination. Yum yum yum!

10. Kathiey on September 23, 2011 at 9:52 am

Looks amazing, I can’t wait to try it.
    Thanks for your post:-)

11. erik on September 23, 2011 at 9:58 am

Well, I’ve never been a big fan of bark, but I have to say that this looks way too good not to try myself. Chocolate, caramel and cashews? What a great combination. You may have just made a bark convert.

12. Gen on September 23, 2011 at 10:20 am

Yum!!! Chocolate+caramel+cashews sounds absolutely delicious!

13. Michelle on September 23, 2011 at 10:20 am

I was in a chocolate mood today too! Your bark looks awesome! I love chocolate and nuts, yummm!

14. Steve @ the black peppercorn on September 23, 2011 at 10:39 am

Oh wow – this looks really tasty and the combination or ingredients are some of my favs! Well done. buzzed ya!

15. Curt on September 23, 2011 at 11:02 am

That sounds really good with the cashews in it.

16. Jen of My Tiny Oven on September 23, 2011 at 11:06 am

To Die For!!! This looks like the perfect thing to make and give away at Christmas!

17. claire @ the realistic nutritionist on September 23, 2011 at 1:43 pm

these look perfect, just absolutely perfect :)

18. Heather I. on September 23, 2011 at 2:59 pm

I’m about to leave for the mall and may now have to stop at Godiva as well :) Your bark looks divine, I could eat this any time of the year!

19. Brooks at Cakewalker on September 23, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Michelle, I saw these earlier and had to come back for a second look. You’ve done a superb job here – from the inspiration at Godiva, to the salted caramel recipe. Than you for sharing. Brava!

20. Paula on September 23, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Who needs to shop at Godiva when you can make this! It looks amazing and just happens to contain three of my favourite things.

P.S. Am I on your Christmas List by and chance :)

21. Hester aka The Chef Doc on September 23, 2011 at 10:08 pm

I’ve never bought Godiva because I thought it was kind of pricey. However, with recipes like yours around, who needs them? Thank you for sharing this with us :-) Have an awesome weekend!

22. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction on September 23, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Oh, I love caramel with cashews… This looks absolutely incredible!

23. the urban baker on September 23, 2011 at 10:50 pm

this looks delicious. love the addition of using yummy caramels!

24. Ann on September 23, 2011 at 11:22 pm

Genius! Caramels, chocolate and cashews? A trifecta of yumminess!

25. Kathryn on September 24, 2011 at 3:32 am

What a perfect combination of sweet and salty, I could eat a whole pound of this!

26. Sanjeeta kk on September 24, 2011 at 10:14 am

The bars look so easy to make and what a treat to have! Yum..

27. Amrita on September 24, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Although, I prefer dark over milk chocolate…I must admit milk-chocolate always delivers a sugar hit when you need it! The barks look absolutely gorgeous…and more importantly, utterly satisfying.

28. Kathy Mercure on September 25, 2011 at 10:23 am

I’ve collected all your caramel recipes now and plan to make them for Christmas gifts. Thanks for the inspiration! I can’t wait to taste them. Of course, I’ll have to make a trial batch first…

29. Amy's Cooking Adventures on September 25, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Delicious! Wouldn’t this be lovely during the holidays?

30. Hallie on September 25, 2011 at 3:03 pm

beautiful pictures!

31. Vibey @ Yumbo McGillicutty on September 25, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Oh, man! I can’t imagine being able to salvage even one of those salted caramels, but if I did, this is absolutely gorgeous.

32. Tania on September 26, 2011 at 10:45 am

Do you think that freezing this would compromise the flavor at all? I am considering adding this to Christmas goodie trays but would like to make this one first because it wouldn’t take up too much room in the freezer. I am quite experienced in the kitchen but I don’t freeze alot because I just don’t have the room. Thanks!
    Also I made the Pumpkin Scones this weekend and they are to die for!

• Michelle on September 26th, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Hi Tania, I’m not sure that freezing is even necessary. During the holidays I make big batches of peppermint bark and store it in airtight containers in the refrigerator and it keeps for weeks.

33. Chad on September 26, 2011 at 1:53 pm

this sounds great, love the salted caramel taste, can’t wait to try it with this combination, going to send it our to some of our clients, great idea!

34. RisaG on September 26, 2011 at 7:05 pm

I adore a good chocolate nut bark and this just looks amazing. I am going to make some of this! My anniversary is coming up and my hubby would just adore this. Loves nuts and nut barks and is now a fan of the salted chocolates (have you tried Ghiradelli Intense Dark Salted Almond Soiree??)

35. Heather @ BloomEveryday on September 27, 2011 at 12:50 pm

I couldn’t think of a combonation more perfect – cashews and chocolate are my favorite! You really can do so many things with this bark. Great post!

36. The Chocolate Priestess on September 27, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I’ve never made a bark before and this looks great.

37. Lisa on September 28, 2011 at 1:34 pm

This looks so good! And I’ve gone back and found your recipes for Peppermint Bark and Cranberry Pistachio Bark – I think plates of this trio of goodies will make wonderful teacher gifts! Thanks for the recipes :)

38. Camaria on October 4, 2011 at 11:26 pm

That bark looks so yummy.I’m such a chocoholic and I love cashews and caramel. So I definetly need to try this recipe!

39. pat Kopy on March 15, 2012 at 4:13 pm

I know this may sound rather dumb, but do you just buy salted caramel at the grocery store? I don’t think I’ve ever seen them, but maybe I just haven’t looked for them.

• Michelle on March 15th, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Hi Pat, Some folks have said they’ve found them at some specialty candy stores, but I made some myself. You can find the link in the recipe above.

40. Noreen on January 27, 2013 at 3:08 pm

hi! i just had a fumble while attempting to make this. instead of caramels, I used actual salted caramel sauce and mixed it into the melted chocolate. it became coagulated but i still spread it on the baking pan to cool. any idea how i can salvage this?

• Michelle on January 28th, 2013 at 11:19 pm

Hi Noreen, Unfortunately I don’t think there is any way to salvage this. It is not meant to have caramel sauce mixed into it; merely salted caramel candies stirred in as an add-in. The chocolate likely won’t set up with the sauce mixed in.

41. Monica on December 14, 2013 at 11:44 am

I am not very good in the kitchen, but I HAVE to try this bark. Sounds incredibly yummy. Two dumb questions: can I use the Ghirardelli bars sold at the market and also I have a double boiler, but kinda small (1.5 quart) will this be large enough?? Thank you so much for your response