Potato Skins

I love, love, love appetizers. I love them almost as much as desserts. In fact, if I could arrange it so that the main dish was eliminated from meals and we only ate appetizers and dessert, I would be in food heaven. That sort of sounds like the type of platform that someone running for student body president in high school would run on, doesn’t it? First of all, it would be awesome if the real-life, grown-up elections that we have to endure now were more like those of our youth. Second of all, I would vote all day, every day for someone who was proposing meals consisting solely of appetizers and desserts. When it comes to appetizers (or any food, for that matter), I’m not a fancy girl. Forget the caviar or highfalutin hors d’oeuvres. Give me dips, chips and potato skins. Carbs, cheese and bacon. That’s my speed. And if that’s wrong, I don’t ever want to be right.

I’ve been in love with potato skins since I was a kid and my cousin worked at a small diner-style restaurant in our town. My mom would take my sister and I there to say hi and get a bite to eat. The only thing I remember from those little trips were potato skins. Since then, I’ve gravitated to potato skins on every appetizer menu I’ve seen. They’re crispy potato skins filled with cheese and bacon, topped with sour cream and green onions. Basically, these are everything that is good about appetizers. And football season. And life. Make them, love them, and cheer on your favorite team.

One year ago: Congo Bars
Two years ago: Bacon Onion Cheddar Biscuits
Three years ago: Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Four years ago: Grown Up Mac and Cheese

Potato Skins

Yield: 4 to 6 servings

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes

Ingredients:

6 russet potatoes (small to medium-sized is best)
Canola oil
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
6 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Sour cream
1 green onion, thinly sliced

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

2. Scrub the potatoes and dry them thoroughly. Rub the outside of the potatoes with canola oil and place directly on the oven rack. Bake for 40 to 60 minutes, or until potato is tender when pierced with a knife. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes or so, until cool enough to handle. Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees F.

3. Slice each potato in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, cookie scoop or melon baller (any will work), scoop out the insides of the potato, leaving a little bit of potato clinging to the skin (about a ¼ inch).

4. Combine the melted butter with 2 tablespoons canola oil. Brush both sides of the potatoes with the butter/oil mixture and then season with salt and pepper. Place the potatoes on a baking sheet face-down and bake for 10 minutes. Flip the potato halves over and bake for an additional 10 minutes (the edges of the potato skins will start to turn golden brown).

5. Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle the insides with the shredded cheese and bacon. Return to the oven for about 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Switch to broil for an additional minute or two, if desired.

6. Use tongs to transfer the potato skins to a serving platter. Add a dollop of sour cream and sliced green onions to the potato skins and serve immediately.

50 Responses to “Potato Skins”

1. Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen on September 11, 2012 at 12:26 am

I could not agree with you more – appetizers are the best! I’ll even take a good dip or plate of potato skins over a brownie. These look delicious!

2. ala-kat on September 11, 2012 at 12:38 am

I was never fond of potato skins, and really couldn’t tell you why. One day I came across Greek potato skins and I love those things. It uses crumbled feta, Greek yogurt, chopped kalamati olives and chopped red onion. Drizzle with a little lemon juice…manna from heaven.

3. ala-kat on September 11, 2012 at 12:50 am

I use the same technique that you use to prepare them… just a totally different flavor. Add the lemon just before serving.

4. CouponClippingCook on September 11, 2012 at 3:01 am

These look so good and cooked perfectly. I think I would even eat these for breakfast.

5. Food Online Chennai on September 11, 2012 at 3:12 am

basically the potato skin have more health than the potato inner…great interesting sharing about potato skin eating new methods :)

6. Online bakery stores on September 11, 2012 at 6:00 am

I really love these kind of apetizers. They make your tummy full as well. Really like the recipe you have made. I am gonna try experimenting on making this out really soon.

7. Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar on September 11, 2012 at 7:06 am

One of my all time favs! Yum!

8. Lori on September 11, 2012 at 7:27 am

You’ve done it again! They look totally irresistable. My question to you next…you must have a recipe for the extra inside of the potato. What will you delight us with next?

9. Jen @ Savory Simple on September 11, 2012 at 7:31 am

I’m like you when it comes to appetizers and desserts. Who needs a main course? Especially with delicious comfort food such as these potato skins!

10. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers on September 11, 2012 at 7:48 am

Yummy! Love potato skins one of my favorites, but oddly enough I rarely have them. Thank you for reminding me, must make them for din din tonight!!

11. Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes on September 11, 2012 at 7:54 am

I’m a huge appetizer fan, too!! I could live on apps and desserts :)

12. leslie on September 11, 2012 at 8:18 am

Football food at it’s finest!!! Love these

13. Rachel @ Baked by Rachel on September 11, 2012 at 8:57 am

Whenever a restaurant has potato skins on their menu, it’s a must order! I adore potato skins.

14. Jennifer on September 11, 2012 at 9:26 am

I love potato skins! Thanks for the recipe.

15. Jessica@AKitchenAddiction on September 11, 2012 at 9:47 am

I think you’re on to something! I could live on appetizers and desserts, especially if these potato skins were on the menu!

16. Laura Dembowski on September 11, 2012 at 10:06 am

I’m totally up for a world where meals are only appetizers and dessert. Plus, that means I can eat more dessert since I ate less real food, right? Love potato skins too! I always bake my potatoes right on the rack too; they taste so much better that way, but when I tell people that’s how I do it, they always look at me like I’m crazy until they taste them. Then they don’t know why they haven’t been doing it.

17. Eileen on September 11, 2012 at 10:11 am

I’ve never made potato skins but I think I’m about to start. I was thinking that I could use the insides for potato bread too. What a load up of carbs that would be for the week! They look so delicious!

18. Holiday Baker Man on September 11, 2012 at 10:36 am

Awesome.

19. Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet on September 11, 2012 at 11:06 am

My Hubby and were talking about making potato skins just yesterday! None of us actually ever had them. Seeing your recipe today – I know it’s time to try!

20. Katie @ Blonde Ambition on September 11, 2012 at 12:09 pm

This sounds amazing! I didn’t know about brushing the skins with oil and baking them…sounds like a good tip!

My favorite lunches of this summer were the ones that consisted solely of chips, salsa, guacamole, pita chips & hummus. Gotta love the snacky appetizers!

21. Claire @ Live and Love to Eat on September 11, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Being a Pittsburgher, I’m curious which restaurant started your obsession?

• Michelle on October 5th, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Hi Claire, It was itsy bitsy diner in business during the 80′s in West Deer Twp. I think the name was Karo’s or something like that, if I’m remembering correctly.

22. Heidi @foodiecrush on September 11, 2012 at 12:34 pm

You have my vote Miss President. These look like little footballs, perfect for gametime!

23. Chad the Plumber on September 11, 2012 at 12:43 pm

That looks like a great Sunday snack for NFL football! Cannot wait!!

24. Lauren on September 11, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Sounds like the perfect meal to make this Sunday, our team is playing in Sunday Night Football!! Question, when you rub the potatoes with oil and place them in the oven doesn’t the oil fall onto the bottom of the oven and burn?

• Michelle on October 5th, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Hi Lauren, It doesn’t, the oil sticks to the potato skins. You don’t want them to be dripping, you just rub them with oil. This is how I make baked potatoes all the time, delicious!

25. Jocelyn Sweeney on September 11, 2012 at 2:44 pm

AHHH potato skins! They look delicious, crispy, cheesy, and salty, the trifecta!

26. Jess on September 11, 2012 at 5:00 pm

I love potato skins, too! I usually make them when I make a huge batch of gnocchi for the freezer. All those extra skins means appetizers for dinner! All they really need is a good dip, so I put the sour cream on the side mixed with some green onions, only because I love dips.

27. Connie the Cookie Monster on September 11, 2012 at 5:15 pm

these were the first things that i have ever made in home ec class 7 years ago! so much nostalgia :)

28. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts on September 11, 2012 at 8:58 pm

I haven’t had potato skins in way too long, but they are one of my favorite! Perfect thing for football!

29. Annamaria @ bakewelljunction.wordpress.com on September 12, 2012 at 1:12 pm

I love potato skins. I would skip the sour cream for mine though. I don’t mind if sour cream is mixed into things but I don’t like it if I can taste the sour cream on it’s own.

30. Susanna @ Tastelling.com on September 12, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Isn’t the skin the most nutritious part of the potato? One more reason to make these!

31. Charlene on September 13, 2012 at 9:07 am

I made these last night, loved them! Thanks for sharing.

32. Sarah on September 16, 2012 at 6:10 pm

These were excellent! I started out with intentions of making baked potato soup then realized I had skins left over,. Perfect! The only thing I would change is I think I brushed too much oil/butter on mine. They were too greasy for me. Thanks for a great idea!

33. Cris on September 17, 2012 at 4:43 pm

My hubby loves potato skins, but don’t’ make them often. I’ll have to try these out and surprise him! I have to ask… what do you do with all that potato you take out? I never know what to do with it other than the obvious and hate to waste.

• Michelle on September 26th, 2012 at 10:20 am

Hi Cris, I keep them and use them the next day for mashed potatoes.

34. kita on September 17, 2012 at 10:12 pm

I haven’t made potato skins in forever! I need to have an all appetizer night for dinner soon.

35. Debra on September 26, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Those made my mouth water. I want some right now. lol :)

36. Jana on September 27, 2012 at 12:14 pm

I love potatoes in every form, well, maybe mashed potatoes are not my very favorite, but still. When I came across this potato skins recipe I just knew I had to make them. And I did. Just now… and they were insanely delicious! Thank you so much.
    btw i baked the middle of the potatoes (brushed with the butter-oil mix and salted) along with the skins and topped them with some spare cheese, It was delicious too:)

37. heidi on October 1, 2012 at 12:10 pm

I love potato skins. But I always mess them up. Thanks for the recipe.

Buy Here Pay Here

38. Thomas on November 7, 2012 at 5:26 pm

These are definitely well worth the effort to prepare them. I’ve been buying small bags of potato skins at Fred Meyers and it’s getting a tad bit expensive, so I think I’ll make up a bunch and freeze them for later. Just the potato part that is.

Thanks

39. Beth on January 24, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Just made these and they turned out great, thanks!

40. Jenn on January 31, 2013 at 5:07 pm

I just have to ask… did anyone else follow this recipe and end up with a house full of smoke and burning eyes? Maybe my husband used too much oil…all I know is that right now I want to put ice cubes on my eyes, dear lord!

41. kristen on February 4, 2013 at 3:49 am

If making these to freeze do i bake them first and then freeze or freeze and then bake?

• Michelle on February 4th, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Hi Kristen, I have never frozen these before; I would imagine you’d need to do the first bake, then assemble and freeze, then bake the second time.

42. Jackie H on February 15, 2013 at 11:53 pm

I’ve been making potato skins for years and I never thought to bake them again after I scoop them out and before I fill them. Thank you so much for the tip! I always thought the restaurants deep fried them to get them so crispy.

43. Rida Shahid on April 8, 2013 at 3:07 pm

Hi!
    I live in Dubai and specific stuff like russet potatoes are hard to come by, can I use any old pretty looking potato?

• Michelle on April 10th, 2013 at 9:44 am

Hi Rida, Yes, whatever you use as your standard potato would work just fine. Enjoy!

44. Michelle on May 26, 2013 at 9:12 am

We love skins. Instead of sour cream, we use homemade ranch:) YUM!!

45. Melissa on October 6, 2013 at 3:00 pm

These came out beautifully! I had never made potato skins before but was prompted by my boyfriend to make them for a football game. Your recipe saved the day! The only thing I did differently was use the bacon grease to coat the potatoes with the canola oil and butter, then continued to ‘baste’ them with it as they cooked… not the healthiest choice but DELICIOUS! Thank you for saving our meal :)