Friday Things

Birthday Cake!

1. I blew out 33 candles on Monday and had a fabulous few days celebrating my birthday with my family and my Chief Culinary Consultant. That cake above is my absolute favorite from Oakmont Bakery; I need to work on recreating it so all of you can taste it, as well! Stay tuned!

2. A couple of weeks ago, I mentioned my plans to hang up the hockey skates for the summer and to begin golf lessons. Well, my CCC made sure I got off on the right foot with this incredible birthday gift:

New golf clubs!

Now, if the snow would just hurry up and thaw, I could start practicing! (Also, I love that there’s pink accents on the bag and on the clubs!)

3. Not only did I get golf clubs, but I also got tickets to Tuesday night’s Penguins’ game. The seats? Right behind the penalty box! So much fun!

Penguins vs Montreal: Seats behind penalty box

4. Keeping in the birthday celebration spirit, my sister is treating me (us) to massages this afternoon. It’s been nearly a year since I’ve had one and I cannot wait! My mom got me a couple of awesome back and neck relaxation products from Gaiam, which I am so psyched about. To recap: cake, sports and relaxation are my life.

5. Speaking of massages, I came across this diagram on Pinterest on how to give a reflexology foot massage. Sign me up!

6. Yesterday, I was craving a salad, which is such a rare occurrence that I figured it could only mean that I’ve been eating even worse than I’ve thought lately. Oops! I remedied the situation by eating a massive salad for lunch, but the problem? I love “big salads with lots of stuff” (Seinfeld reference). I’ll throw in carrots, mushrooms and cucumbers, but I also add cheese, crumbled bacon and croutons. Ah well, a big bowl of green is a good start anyway, right? ;-)

7. Are you doing any special Easter baking this weekend? Last night, my mom and I made a couple loaves of my grandma’s bacon and cheese Easter bread, which has always been one of my favorite recipes of hers. I plan on taking my no-bake banana split dessert to my aunt’s on Sunday… it’s always a huge hit! What are you making for the holiday?

8. I’ve been trolling The Container Store website like nobody’s business, as I try to streamline and organize a lot of my stuff, especially in the bathroom and kitchen. Truthfully, I could buy the entire store. I’m specifically looking to organize my under-the-sink toiletries; if you have any favorite products, share below!

9. I can’t believe that Monday is actually opening day for the baseball season. I flirted with the idea of buying tickets a month or so ago; given that the forecast for Monday is 39 degrees and a 50% chance of rain, I’m really happy that I didn’t get them. I am looking forward to some warm summer nights at the ballpark this year, though!

10. TGIF! Have a wonderful Easter weekend!

Source: Jenni Dunning

Source: Jenni Dunning

27 Responses to “Friday Things”

1. LJ Dubois on March 29, 2013 at 2:23 am

Happy Birthday, Michelle, and Buona Pasqua, as well! XO

2. Ashley on March 29, 2013 at 7:03 am

I LOVE The Container Store! We re-did our coat closet in Janurary with Elfa and we can fit so much more in the space now. We have pull out shoe racks, areas for gloves and room for both long and short coats. In the kitchen, I have at least 15 of their glass jars in assorted sizes. The’re great for flours, sugars, I even have all my cup cake holders in one to keep them organized (something I found on Pinterest). They’re also great to store pastas, chocolate chips, marshmallows. Then, becaue I view my Food Network Magazines as a bunch of mini cookbooks and not temporary mailers, I have years of them stores in magazine holders that I can stand up in my cabinet with the rest of my cookbooks. Good luck and happy organizing!

3. Terri on March 29, 2013 at 7:07 am

Love the cake from Oakmont Bakery. That’s where my cake was from for my last birthday. As for Easter baking I am making mini cheesecakes, some cookies, apple bread and attempting cottage cheese strudel (a traditional Croatian pastry). Hoping for warmer weather too. Have a great Easter.

4. Obsessive Compulsive Baking Disorder on March 29, 2013 at 8:12 am

I hope you had a wonderful birthday!
    The cake from Oakmont Bakery looks absolutely beautiful, I am very envious!
    Currently sat in my kitchen waiting for hot cross bun dough to rise, Easter baking is go go go!!!
    Next up will definitely be Ed’s (The Boy Who Bakes) CHOCOLATE ORANGE hot cross buns, yum!

Happy Easter and happy baking!

5. Kristin on March 29, 2013 at 8:33 am

Streak on Pens! I was at the game last night :)
    Also – super excited to try your texas sheet cake this weekend. My mom used to make them all the time (my birthday cake of choice growing up) but sadly she did not leave the recipe in any type of legible format and passed away before i learned how to make it! I remember some of the ingredients which all seem to be in your recipe! Can’t wait to try! Enjoy the weekend and go Pens and Pirates!!

6. Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona on March 29, 2013 at 8:44 am

This might not be big news for the Penguins, but as a Flames fan, it was huge news that Iginla was traded. It would be interesting to hear your take on it.

• Michelle on March 30th, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Hi Fiona, It’s actually HUGE news! I was going to gush about it here, but figured most folks probably wouldn’t care too much about it. We’re extremely humbled that he chose to come to Pittsburgh and are pretty much in awe; it’s totally surreal to see him in a Penguins uniform. The city has a huge amount of respect for the guy.

7. Jodi Pavlik on March 29, 2013 at 9:05 am

I really love those golf clubs! I think I might need to upgrade mine this year!

8. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppersj on March 29, 2013 at 9:16 am

Happy Birthday! The cake looks amazing!!! I can’t wait to see how you will re-create it!!

Golf is so much fun! I need to take it up, and I even have girly pink golf clubs! :)

Have a wonderful weekend!

9. Maria on March 29, 2013 at 9:45 am

Glad you were spoiled on your birthday! Have a Happy Easter! xo

10. Valerie on March 29, 2013 at 9:46 am

A birthday cake from Oakmont Bakery — lucky you, Michelle! I love that bakery, and whenever I go in there, I feel like a kid in a candy store — LOL! I’m baking a Coconut Cake for Easter. Happy Easter to everyone!

11. Michele on March 29, 2013 at 9:52 am

Oh… Pens and an Oakmonter… Sigh….. :-D

12. Terry on March 29, 2013 at 10:10 am

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY

13. Mary Ann on March 29, 2013 at 10:26 am

Happy birthday, and Happy Easter!

14. Molly_Bakelette on March 29, 2013 at 11:03 am

I agree with your “life”, sports, cake and relaxation are all huge parts of my life! And I am with you on the salad, I end up with a few pieces of lettuce, tons of cheese, sunflower seeds, dried cherries and more! It’s not much of healthy salad but its a start!
    Happy birthday and Happy Easter!
    xoxo
    M

15. Marcie @ Flavor The Moments on March 29, 2013 at 11:07 am

I’m with you on your love of sports. I can’t wait for baseball season to start on Monday! It’s much slower than football and basketball, but I’ll take it. Your birthday cake looks incredible! I can’t wait to hear how the golf thing goes. I’ve been asked to take lessons, but just not sure I’ll like it. I’m planning on a coconut cream pie with a special crust this weekend. Your banana split dessert sounds incredible!

16. Katie @ Blonde Ambition on March 29, 2013 at 2:42 pm

That cake is amazing! Can’t believe you fit so many candles on it :) It’s too funny that all your birthday gifts can be simplified into those 3 categories…I bet you’re easy to shop for!

17. Tracey on March 29, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Sounds like an awesome birthday week! I’m so envious of your seats behind the penalty box, that would be the best! Have a good weekend :)

18. Kimberly on March 29, 2013 at 2:48 pm

♫♪•*¨*•.¸¸♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•*¨*•.¸♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪Happy Birthday to you!!! Happy Birthday to you!!! Happy Birthday Dear Michelle!! Happy Birthday to you!!! AND MANY MORE!! ♪♫¸♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

19. Louise@cakeandcalico.com on March 29, 2013 at 4:41 pm

I love that you make yourself a birthday cake – such a spectacular one too! I think I may have to steal this tradition. It’s a long time since anyone baked me one and the perfect excuse to get exactly the cake I want. :-D

20. Tieghan on March 29, 2013 at 7:09 pm

That cake looks just awesome! Sounds like you had a great Birthday! Happy Easter!

21. Shelby on March 29, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Thank you for solving my problem! For some reason, I’ve had Banana Cream Pie on my mind for Easter. However, I refuse to add eggs to fruit or veggie dishes. The few recipes I had checked all contained eggs! Then, your Friday Things post and your reference to your No-Bake Banana Split Cake Dessert! Thanks. Happy Easter!

22. Laura Dembowski on March 30, 2013 at 8:22 am

It sounds like you had a great birthday! That cake looks beyond amazing! I have only sat far away at hockey games in the suites from my dad’s work, but now I love sitting close for everything I go to. That hockey game must have been so cool so close to the action. I will be baking this weekend but I actually don’t know what I’m making yet! I better get on that. I will be roasting a pork shoulder for the firsr time. Wish me luck!

23. Susie on March 30, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Have you been to La Gourmandine bakery in Pittsburgh before? I just got a birthday cake there, and it was delicious! They’re so sweet, as well! ^^

• Michelle on March 31st, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Hi Susie, I have not been there before, I’ll have to check it out! Thanks for the recommendation!

24. Gretchen on April 1, 2013 at 6:56 am

Happy be-lated Birthday. I’m glad you had a wonderful day.

25. Michelle on April 6, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Love the cake photo! It is my birthday and my name is Michelle! Wish I had the cake here in person (and wish I had as “few” candles as you). Happy Birthday to you too!