Oreo Cheesecake Icebox Cake

Oreo Cheesecake Icebox Cake

A few years ago, I shared with you my grandma’s super-simple recipe for what she always referred to as “icebox cake.” It was an easy dessert that graced her table on countless Sundays – two alternating layers of graham crackers and vanilla pudding, topped with crushed graham crackers. Sometimes she’d throw Cool Whip on top, sometimes not. It was familiar, refreshing and comforting. In the past year or so, I’ve been seeing a ton of icebox cake recipes pop up all over the internet. Most of them use chocolate wafers as the base and whipped cream in between layers. Recently, I saw an Oreo Icebox Cake over on Cookies & Cups that inspired me to slightly tweak my grandma’s recipe. Basically, instead of graham crackers I used Double Stuff Oreos and instead of vanilla pudding, I used cheesecake-flavored pudding. I threw a layer of Cool Whip on top for good measure, then drizzled it with chocolate sauce and chopped Oreos. Game, set, match.

Oreo Cheesecake Icebox Cake

It isn’t exactly a secret that I have a love affair with Oreo cheesecakes, so anytime I can finagle a way to incorporate both Oreos and cheesecake flavor into a dessert, you better believe that I’m going all-in on that project. I love how incredibly easy and versatile icebox cakes are to make. Use whatever favorite graham crackers or cookies you have, your favorite pudding flavor, and you’ll have it assembled in less than 15 minutes. The hardest part is having to leave it in the fridge for a few hours to set up. If you’re desperate, you could always nibble on leftover Oreos to tide you over (not that I know anything about that).

Oreo Cheesecake Icebox Cake

Oreos weren’t something that my grandma stocked her pantry with regularly (she was more of a Keebler and Chips Ahoy lady), but if she were here today, there’s no doubt in my mind that she’d gobble this up and ask for seconds… and then promptly skip dinner. That’s how she rolled. A woman after my own heart.

Oreo Cheesecake Icebox Cake

One year ago: Bacon and Cheese Easter Bread
Two years ago: Good Eats in South Florida, Part II

Oreo Cheesecake Icebox Cake

Yield: 10 to 12 servings

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 4 hours

A riff on my grandma's famous icebox cake, using Oreo cookies instead of graham crackers and topping the whole thing with Cool Whip.

Ingredients:

2½ boxes Double Stuff Oreos
2 (4-serving size) boxes cheesecake-flavored instant pudding mix
4 cups 2% milk
1 (8-ounce) tub Cool Whip
Chocolate syrup, for garnish

Directions:

1. Line the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish with Oreos, breaking them to fill in any big gaps along the edges.

2. Whisk together 1 box of instant pudding with 2 cups of the milk for 5 minutes, or until the pudding thickens and appears set. Pour the pudding evenly over the layer of Oreos, using a rubber spatula to spread into an even layer.

3. Top with another layer of Oreos, again breaking them into pieces if needed to fill any large gaps.

4. Prepare the second box of pudding as you did the first, with the remaining 2 cups of milk. Pour the pudding over the 2nd layer of Oreos, spreading it into an even layer with a rubber spatula.

5. Top with the Cool Whip, using a spatula to spread into an even layer. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Prior to serving, garnish the top with chocolate syrup and chopped Oreos.

76 Responses to “Oreo Cheesecake Icebox Cake”

1. J.Atchenson on April 3, 2013 at 12:14 am

Blech – Cool Whip? Can you explain why you chose to use a prepackaged product as opposed to making your own whipped cream? Just curious.

• Renee @ Awesome on $20 on April 3rd, 2013 at 2:22 am

I’m pretty sure you could easily replace the Cool Whip with your own whipped cream if you want. Fresh cream isn’t as stable, though, so make sure you keep it very cold or you’ll end up with a puddle of grossness.

• Randi on April 5th, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Just add a few Tbls of powdered sugar to the cream before you whip it. That will help stabilize it. I agree regarding cool whip, but if you’re going to use packaged cookies and packaged instant pudding mix, why would you use real whipped cream?

• Angie on April 3rd, 2013 at 9:41 am

AMEN

• CS on April 3rd, 2013 at 9:44 am

What about the oreos? The pudding mix? The chocolate syrup? If you don’t want to use prepackaged products just don’t make the recipe.

• Kathy on April 3rd, 2013 at 10:09 am

It’s all prepacked! You’re worried about the Cool Whip?
        I think this sounds fantastic! Needed a new dessert idea and this one fits the bill. Thanks.

• Dee on April 3rd, 2013 at 10:16 am

Trader Joe’s makes a version of Cool Whip with organic sweeteners. Maybe you should give that a try.

• Autumn on April 3rd, 2013 at 11:35 am

Because she wanted to and thats the way her recipe is written. Every baker goes by her own set of rules. I love the Cool Whip in this recipe. Sounds delis! :)

2. Averie @ Averie Cooks on April 3, 2013 at 1:43 am

Love the simplicity of this one. I made an icebox cake last summer using similar ingredients but instead of Oreos I did sugar wafer cookies. Those long, thin, flaky-layered cookies that are usually chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry. They held up great to the sog-factor and I bet your Oreos would too!

3. Renee @ Awesome on $20 on April 3, 2013 at 2:21 am

I have no issue with Cool Whip as it tastes completely different from fresh whipped cream, and I’m totally willing to take the abuse from my animal conservation friends for occasionally eating Oreos. I basically want to put this whole thing in my face. Like now.

4. Gerry @ foodness gracious on April 3, 2013 at 3:20 am

I like your grammies style ;)

5. Ellen on April 3, 2013 at 4:54 am

Oreos are the best! It’s shocking how few ingredients you need. Shocking in an awesome way.

6. Kate on April 3, 2013 at 5:29 am

Who doesn’t have dessert for dinner once a week, I mean month?! That ice box cake looks awesome…and may make an appearance in my household this weekend :)

7. Emily Hancock on April 3, 2013 at 5:49 am

This looks AWESOME! I can’t wait to make this!

8. Andrea Jones on April 3, 2013 at 6:08 am

My family will love this! And my daughter will love helping me make it. Thanks!

9. Molly_Bakelette on April 3, 2013 at 7:28 am

I have yet to try an icebox cake, but I have also been seeing them all over! This looks like a great summer late night dessert!

xoxo
    M

P.S. Your Grandma sounds awesome!

10. Jessica @ Portuguese Girl Cooks on April 3, 2013 at 7:38 am

Your grandma sounds like a really awesome lady! This looks delicious!

11. Tracey on April 3, 2013 at 8:53 am

This is to die for Michelle! I want to reach through the screen and grab a bite :)

12. lori on April 3, 2013 at 8:55 am

Question…. i am bummed. i see all these awesome recipes and ziplist doesn”t work for me on your site any more:( suggestions? Love your recipes !!:)

• Michelle on April 3rd, 2013 at 9:04 am

Hi Lori, I’m so sorry for the inconvenience. I’ve sent them an email to find out what’s going on; hopefully we’ll get it fixed in no time!

13. Tieghan on April 3, 2013 at 9:05 am

I just made my first orea’s dessert and posted it yesterday! I am so in love with putting oreos in EVERYTHING now!! I can not wait to make this!

14. Katie on April 3, 2013 at 9:15 am

Oh, how I sometimes wish I lived in the US! In Canada, we don’t have cheesecake flavoured pudding (I didn’t even know it existed!). We do have JELL-O brand Oreo flavoured pudding, do you think that would work, or would it be overkill (if there’s such a thing)? Perhaps vanilla would be best? This looks amazing! I’ll definitely have to make this for a summer barbecue!

• Michelle on April 3rd, 2013 at 9:28 am

Hi Katie, I would probably just use vanilla instead. Enjoy!

15. Anna on April 3, 2013 at 9:26 am

Thanks for a simple and wow factor recipe. I’m assuming the 2 1/2 box of Oreos is completely crushed or grinded with a food processor? Btw, I think your instruction is missing a top layer of Oreos. The pudding will thicken without it being boiled, per package instructions? Sorry! I’m a baking novice!

• Michelle on April 3rd, 2013 at 9:35 am

Hi Anna, No, you do not grind or crush the Oreos for this recipe, you use them whole. There are only 2 layers of Oreos, not 3, the layering should go: Oreos, pudding, Oreos, pudding, Cool Whip. I’m not sure what you mean regarding the pudding, but it’s instant pudding, so it will thicken without needing to be boiled.

16. Obsessive Compulsive Baking Disorder on April 3, 2013 at 9:27 am

Literally drooling here.. this looks delicious.
    I now have an urge to make oreo cupcakes or brownies… any baked good with an oreo involved… get in my tummy NOW.
    Thanks for sharing the recipe!
    Leah x

17. Annie @ Annie's City Kitchen on April 3, 2013 at 9:49 am

I’ve literally never had an icebox cake and I actually didn’t know what they were until I started following baking blogs. I’m committed to try one after this recipe!

18. Alyssa @ Kitchen Cures on April 3, 2013 at 9:49 am

This looks amazing! I like how you used double stuff oreos instead of the regular… why use regular when you can use double stuff? I imagine that using cheesecake flavoured jello would give it more lightness than normal cream cheese too. I’ll have to wait till my next trip to the US to buy some so I can make this!

19. Karly on April 3, 2013 at 10:13 am

Icebox cake has been on my to-make and to-eat list for YEARS, but I can never find chocolate wafers. You totally just solved all of my life problems. I think I love you.

20. Bernadette on April 3, 2013 at 10:22 am

This sounds awesome. I have used real whip cream in many desserts instead of Cool Whip. I just don’t like the taste of it. You cold put in a stabilizer. I too will have to wait until I get to the US or know someone that is going to get the cheesecake flavoured pudding mix.

21. Jenn @ Once Upon a Tier on April 3, 2013 at 10:26 am

This looks so delicious and easy! Can’t wait to try it.

22. DIANE CRAMMER on April 3, 2013 at 10:32 am

could you use the vanilla oreos instead? to much chocolate.

thanks
    diane

23. marie @ little kitchie on April 3, 2013 at 10:49 am

YES! Love desserts from grandma like this! Pretty sure my husband would faint if I made this for him. Pinned!

24. James on April 3, 2013 at 10:54 am

Looks yummy! Our family’s go to ice box cake is made with Famous chocolate wafer cookies & homemade whip cream. It’s so easy to make & always a hit (just layer the whip cream between the cookies & make a log, cover the outside with whip cream). You should definitely try it, so good and easy!

25. Meghan @ Cake 'n' Knife on April 3, 2013 at 11:04 am

This looks like pure heaven! I could literally lick the screen, though that might make it a little awkward for my co-workers….

26. Marcie @ Flavor The Moments on April 3, 2013 at 11:19 am

It’s madness that it’s only 8:17 AM here and I want to eat this now! I have a love affair with Oreos too. Anywhere I see them, I about go crazy. This dessert looks so creamy, crunchy, and amazing! It’s a major feast for my eyes!

27. Amanda de Ridder on April 3, 2013 at 11:39 am

This looks pretty mouthwatering!! In Australia, we have a similar dish called Chocolate Ripple Cake. It’s essentially just chocolate biscuits (or cookies, depending where you’re from) in a log with vanilla whipped cream sandwiching the biscuits together, then covering the log with the rest of the cream. A dusting of cocoa or chocolate shavings and a couple of hours in the fridge creates an Aussie party staple!

28. Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking on April 3, 2013 at 11:39 am

I’m speechless! This is one heck of a dessert to tease my chocolate cravings lately, hehe. Looks amazing!

29. Julie on April 3, 2013 at 11:59 am

Looks wonderful! Thanks, I will be making this for the weekend.

30. Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes on April 3, 2013 at 12:32 pm

I love icebox cakes! I made a nutter butter one not that long ago. They are so easy and so delicious! I love that you used Oreos.

31. Karen on April 3, 2013 at 12:54 pm

This looks yummy and want to try it soon. Just a little confused, you state there is only 2 layers of oreos but there appears to be 3 in the picture. Please clarify.

• Michelle on April 3rd, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Hi Karen, It might be an optical illusion (?) but there are only 2 layers of Oreos in the recipe. I made it as written above.

• Karen on April 3rd, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Thanks for clarification!

32. Mari @ Oh, Sweet & Savory on April 3, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Oh, these look absolutely delicious! I’ve never tried making an icebox before. Now I will have to!

33. Aubrey on April 3, 2013 at 1:51 pm

This recipe looks great!! And insanely easy to make a vegan version, which is hard to find on your site with all the cheese, cream, and bacon. Thank you!!!

• Alicia on July 8th, 2014 at 9:01 am

How do you make the vegan version?

34. Vicki @ WITK on April 3, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Holy crap! I can’t make this, I’ll eat the entire thing! Looks amazing.

35. Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar on April 3, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Mmm pure heaven!

36. Diana B on April 3, 2013 at 3:03 pm

How many oreo cookies?? Do you really use 3 full packages? I don’t usually see them in boxes. Help I want to make this for teacher friends tomorrow!

• Michelle on April 3rd, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Hi Diana, I didn’t count them, but after looking online, it says there are 36 cookies per package, so I probably used about 75-80 cookies (I chopped 6 cookies for the top garnish).

37. Cristina Boyd on April 3, 2013 at 3:04 pm

OMG….yes please!!

38. Katherine on April 3, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Wow, girl – this looks *amazing*!!!!

39. Steph in Lex on April 3, 2013 at 4:38 pm

I think this looks awesome and I honestly have no problem with prepackaged food, but I am staunchly anti-Cool Whip. I think it’s totally nasty. (My opinion–my hangup is the taste and no high-minded anti-processed food reasoning.) If I were to make this, could I use just heavy whipping cream? Or would you suggest something else? Thanks!!!
    p.s. – My grandma always made the stuff you describe your grandma making, too, but she called it “ice cream dessert.”

• Michelle on April 3rd, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Hi Steph, If you make your own whipped cream, I’d be sure to make stabilized whipped cream so that it doesn’t weep.

• Steph in Lex on April 4th, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Thanks!!!

40. Shoba Shrinivasan on April 3, 2013 at 4:46 pm

What a lovely idea? I love that graham crackers are so versatile and lend themselves to so many recipes . I have been seeing so many icebox recipes but some how one passsed down from grandmas are always more delicious!
    Great clicks.

Shobha

41. Joshua Hampton (Cooking Classes San Diego) on April 3, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Oh, but the pictures on this post made me drool. I gotta have this icebox cake. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

42. Lauren on April 4, 2013 at 7:59 am

I seriously couldn’t stop eating this after dinner last night. This is probably one of my favorite desserts of yours now. Gram would be proud ;-) Love you!

43. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts on April 4, 2013 at 1:57 pm

This looks like pure creamy heaven!!

44. Carole on April 5, 2013 at 10:03 am

Made this for my hubby’s birthday this week because I was short on time. It was a huge hit! Thanks for sharing and take a look at how it turned out for me if you get a chance:

45. marilyn kros on April 13, 2013 at 6:05 pm

i made this using single oreo cookies. double is too sweet for me. everyone liked it and wanted the recipe.it lasted one week and the cookies got softer the longer it sat. it was better with the softer cookies

46. plasterer bristol on April 17, 2013 at 6:10 am

Wow this looks so amazing, can’t wait to try this..

47. Christine K on May 24, 2013 at 7:33 am

This looks beyooonnd divinne!! But im worried about the cool whip since we donthave that where i live! Could i replace with homemade whipped cream?and how many cups?
    And can i replace vanilla pudding instead of cheesecake flavor?thank you!!

• Christine K on May 24th, 2013 at 8:32 am

Or even oreo pudding mix?

• Michelle on May 27th, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Yep, whatever your preference.

• Michelle on May 27th, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Hi Christine, You can replace with whipped cream (I would whip 2 cups of cream for the topping). You can also replace the pudding with vanilla if you’d like.

48. Kristen on June 9, 2013 at 4:47 pm

This looks amazing. However, going to the grocery store I looked for cheesecake flavored pudding mix and apparently I went to the wrong store because I didn’t find any but I decided to use white chocolate pudding hopefully it will still taste amazing.

49. DenaMarie on June 24, 2013 at 1:16 am

Fabulously refreshing & perfect for summer parties. EASY enough for the Kids to help, or to make for Father’s Day, etc. Love this Michelle… Grammy rocks!

50. Brandy Yekel on June 24, 2013 at 9:35 am

I made this over the weekend too (in addition to the Key Lime Bars) and this was a another huge hit. People went nuts over it. And it is incredibly easy…. which I love.

51. Alice on July 21, 2013 at 11:42 am

*Would* this work with real whipped cream instead of Cool Whip?

• Michelle on July 22nd, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Alice, You would have to serve it immediately and not plan on having leftovers. Real whipped cream, while delicious, isn’t stabilized like Cool Whip, so it will start to weep after awhile.

52. Alice on July 21, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Also, can I use Jell-o NoBake Cheesecake Dessert?

• Alice on July 21st, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Since I can’t find cheesecake flavored Pudding and I want that cheesecake flavor…

• Alice on July 22nd, 2013 at 12:22 pm

I did find the cheesecake flavored pudding.

53. Laura @ The Rookie Cook on September 3, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Yummy! Made this the other night for another couple (and us!) and it was delicious. We all loved it and it is already gone today, thanks!