Friday Things

Duke - 9 weeks old!

1. Duke will be 10 weeks old tomorrow, and my what a difference a week makes! His face has matured, his legs have grown like weeds and his ears have even gotten longer… all in one week! He’s become much more playful and energetic, which means that our house has turned into a full-time circus when you throw Einstein into the mix.

2. I mentioned last week that I was going to see a hand specialist about my finger issues since I sliced it back in June. Well, the doctor believes there is some scar tissue issues and/or tendon damage and recommended surgery, which would consist of a recovery time of anywhere from one week with stitches to eight weeks in a full forearm splint. Can you say, “ugghhhh”?! I’m going to get a second opinion before I get sliced open, but, ughhh not good news.

3. As you know, I’ve been referring to my now-husband as my Chief Culinary Consultant since we began dating nearly five years ago. Since we’re married now, I thought I would take a little informal reader poll… Would you like me to continue referring to him as my Chief Culinary Consultant, or “my husband”? Feel free to cast a vote in the comments below :)

4. I have become completely enamored with Bobbi Brown makeup. I started buying it here and there a few years ago, and now 99% of my makeup bag consists of Bobbi Brown. Are any of you long-time users? Do you have any favorite product recommendations or suggestions for “looks” to put together?

5. A BEB reader, Lola, created a gluten-free version of the Snickers Cake that I created in April for my dad’s birthday. If you are on the hunt for gluten-free recipes, be sure to check out her modification!

6. The Essie Fall 2013 nail colors are out!

Essie Fall 2013

I picked up three of them last weekend – Twin Sweater Set (#1), The Lace Is On (#2) and After School Boy Blazer (#4). The “boy blazer” color is a rich blue-black color, which is pretty different from what I usually wear, but I decided to step outside my box. Any tips for wearing this color? Is it best with certain clothes of a certain shade?

7. I’ve just recently started reading about cooking bacon in the oven instead of in a skillet. I love skillet bacon, but it makes a huge mess and it takes quite awhile. When I’m lazy, I use the microwave, but that can get equally as greasy. Have any of you made bacon in the oven? Thumbs up? I think I’m going to give it a try this weekend. I’ll be sure to report back :)

8. I am more than ready to do some fall shoe shopping. I’m in desperate need of some nice brown boots, and I have my eye on this pair of Frye boots. I have a hard time getting over the price hurdle, though. If you have Frye boots, are they really long-lasting? If I’m going to spend that much, I want to be able to wear them for more than a couple of seasons!

9. Also on my fall shopping list is a new purse. I’m a big Coach fan, but I’m thinking of checking out some other brands this fall. Who are your favorite purse makers?

10. TGIF! All you need is love… ♥

Duke & Einstein sleeping

237 Responses to “Friday Things”

1. Teri on September 6, 2013 at 10:49 am

Your puppies are adorable! I love how you now have a buddy for Einstein . As for your hand, most definitely get a second and maybe a third opinion . Check with friends for recommendations. There are too many doctors eager too cut. Just saying, better safe than sorry.

2. nancy K on September 6, 2013 at 10:50 am

First, sorry to hear about your hand. I would get a second and third opinion before a surgery decision…there are never any guarentees…stuff can happen… so you want to be as informed as possible.
    I love the Duke/Einstein updates. I think you should post a new picture of Duke each Friday next to the one from the prior week so we can all follow his growth progress…just a selfish suggestion as I have severe puppy envy.

3. Johana on September 6, 2013 at 10:53 am

Puppies sure grow fast, specially golden retrievers! It’s almost like you need to take a daily picture so you don’t miss a thing!
    I’d say your “CCC” title is very original, I have not seen anyone else use it, so I’d vote for you to keep it. ;)
    The picture of Duke and Einstein is so cute, it just made my heart melt! Now I’d like for my dog to have a brother! Happy Friday!

4. Sharon Peek on September 6, 2013 at 10:56 am

I like CCC, however you should maybe elevate that even further. Just a thought.

5. Jillian on September 6, 2013 at 10:56 am

For the boots check out justfab.com, below is the link. Good quality for only
    $39.95 or you can pay a tad bit more ($50-60) for the Lux Line ;)

6. Janelle on September 6, 2013 at 10:58 am

ohmygoshYES to husband! It seems I’m in the minority though.

Good luck with your hand/finger. Surgery with a long recovery seems a little excessive. I hope it all turns out well!

Love that navy nail color. At least if one finger is out of commission for a bit, the other nine will look pretty!

7. Patty on September 6, 2013 at 10:59 am

I love your new puppy Duke he is adorable! Makes me want to get a puppy. I vote with CCC as well. My daughter and I are fans of Essie nail polish. My favoritebpurse brand is Louis Vuitton, but beware they are very expensive.

8. Manisha on September 6, 2013 at 10:59 am

Frye boots are amazing. I’ve had a pair of Melissa tall lace up boots that have lasted me 5 years and look even better now than they did when I first got them. Not to mention they’re so comfortable- I hiked the grand canyon in them! Totally worth the price.

Duke is adorable! And Chief Culinary Consultant is more fun and cute sounding. :)

9. McKenzie on September 6, 2013 at 10:59 am

I am a relatively new reader, and I assumed, until you started posting about your wedding, that Chief Culinary Consultant was your husband. I thought that it was a very clever name with the right hint of endearment. If you don’t believe that other readers will put the two together and figure out that he is you husband, then call him your husband. Otherwise, keep the clever name that makes his role in your kitchen/blog so noteworthy and unique! On the Frye boots, I have a short pair of brown ones that I got at the Zappos outlet south of Louisville, KY. I got them at a deep discount; I had been eyeing them for months and really wanted them. They are very comfortable and sturdy and worth at least what I paid for them. I say that if you cannot take your eye off of them until you try a pair, then you should go for it. If you don’t feel that strongly and just want some comfortable and long lasting boots, then I would suugest that you go online to Country Outfitter. I recently discovered them, and they have the cutest, reliable brand name boots. They have Fryes, but they also have boots that look a lot like Fryes for a lot less. Hope this helped!

10. Kathy on September 6, 2013 at 11:03 am

Your dogs are so cute together!

11. Jenny W. on September 6, 2013 at 11:11 am

I cook bacon in the oven all the time! I line my baking sheets with foil so it’s less of a mess. Also, if I don’t want to have the bacon cooking in all the fat, I lay the bacon across cookie cooling racks that I sit in the baking sheet. Then you can just throw the baking racks in the dishwasher and throw the foil away.

12. Jody Helmin on September 6, 2013 at 11:15 am

My daughter-in-law referred me to your site for the chocolate cupcake with peanut butter frosting recipe. I made a double batch last night to bring to work for my birthday TODAY and they are FABULOUS!!!

We have a nearly 3 yr old Golden names Riley. He has been the best possible gift my husband and I could have ever given ourselves. I look forward to following your posts about your beautiful Goldens!

I’d say stick with CCC – and I recommend Michael Kors bags!

13. Kate C. on September 6, 2013 at 11:30 am

Check out Roots for bags. I have the Venetian Village Tribe bag and love all of the compartments. It keeps me organized.

14. Julie H on September 6, 2013 at 11:32 am

I vote Chief Culinary Consultant stay, it’s cute and fun and anyone can have a husband, but yours is something more special than just that. But I know it is fun to be able to call him husband, so whatever you think is best for you is what you should go with.

As for Bobbi Brown, I adore her lip products especially. For eye shadows, I am a complete MAC devotee. Their colors are spectacular and the stay on for a long time. For mascara, the best is L’Oreal voluminous false fiber lashes. I swear my eyelashes are longer and fuller since I started using it, it’s amazing. Goes on easy, no clumping, my lashes look natural. Adore.

For purses, I was always a Coach girl too, but then got tired of everyone else having their bags too. I love my Kate Spade purses that I own, you can usually get pretty good deals at either an outlet or sign up for their newsletter. They often have really good sales for newsletter subscribers or facebook followers. The purses are fun, functional and well made.

15. Musing Mar on September 6, 2013 at 11:35 am

I’ve always liked the ring of “Chief Culinary Consultant”! I suppose you could throw in a ‘husband’ from time to time, such as, “My husband, the CCC,” etc. I refer to my fellow as the Culinary Enthusiast on my blog, and occasionally call him by his first name. Whatever feels natural!

16. Jill on September 6, 2013 at 11:36 am

I vote for CCC. Your loyal followers know who he is!

17. Christine on September 6, 2013 at 11:36 am

That picture of Duke and Einstein sleeping together MELTS. MY. HEART. So cute!

18. Emily on September 6, 2013 at 11:55 am

CCC is a super title for your husband — it took me a little to figure it out but I think it is a fun reference. Love the Duke/Einstein photos. Please just one wedding photo? Definitely get a second opinion on your hand. Good Luck! Your blog makes my day.

19. Arielle on September 6, 2013 at 11:56 am

I vote for CCC! I think it’s unique/quirky :P I guess for people who might be confused who that is, you could say he’s your husband in the FAQ section?

P.S. I’ve been reading your blog since posted Peanut Butter Cup Rice Krispies Treats (which are AWESOME by the way) but don’t think I’ve ever commented…anyway, just wanted to say that your blog makes me really happy :)

20. Babou on September 6, 2013 at 11:57 am

Hand injuries are a pain…

Hand trouble still… bummer !!!

I cut the tendon of my pinky on my right (main) hand while putting away glasses 2 years ago, had a splint for almost 2 months and I can only say : physical therapy ! My hand was stuck in place, just not moving at all, when I took the splint off but man ! the therapy really helped! It helps you regain strength with movement you would’nt think of doing. Also I had sessions whilst I had the splint on to have the swelling reduced thanks to massages and to stop adhesion of the scar tissue on the tendons…

It is a very French thing maybe, but I guess you can have access to post op services like that this in the US… it might help you without having to go through surgery again !

21. Joanna H. on September 6, 2013 at 11:58 am

1. Love CCC rather than husband
    2. Only tried BB gloss and found it too sticky….maybe should give another try?
    3. Have cooked bacon in the oven and my only complaint is trying to clean the rack that you cook it on…..a big pain. And if you cook it on foil, you defeat the whole purpose I think.
    Have a great weekend!

22. Kristi on September 6, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Please keep CCC. It’s endlessly amusing and obnoxious at the same time.

23. Gloria Belzak on September 6, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Hi, I vote for calling him your husband. That is a title to be proud of and nobody else can call him that except you, he is all yours. Like many others I found it strange to hear about CCC as if it were a classmate or book. Maybe you can use both names but please refer to him as what he is in your life, hopefully “the love of your life”. :-)

24. Marcy from TN on September 6, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Oh goodness those Duke and Einstein are so precious snuggling together when they are sleeping. I just love that photo.

As for your husband….call him whatever makes you feel comfortable….just don’t call him late for dinner!

25. Gina on September 6, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Michelle, First of all, Einstein and Duke are so adorable. Not sure how my 4 year old German Shepherd would adjust to a new puppy. We sometimes make bacon in the oven. Doesn’t turn out as crispy as I like. I prefer frying. Take care Michelle , I always enjoy starting out my day with your blog.

26. alicia k on September 6, 2013 at 12:12 pm

you can’t go wrong with a Michael Kors purse — so many styles & colors to choose from! i’ve been wanting to try bacon in the oven too. love the idea of cooking large batches & freezing it. never thought about doing that.

27. Melissa on September 6, 2013 at 12:13 pm

That puppy is too cute! I think Chief Culinary Consultant is also very cute! I would love to know if you can get bacon crispy in the oven! Thanks for your posts they are always very enjoyable!

28. Rachael on September 6, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Oh, yes to oven bacon. It’s my go-to method now if I need more than 1-2 pieces. The trick is to put it in a cold oven, turn the oven on to 400, and then check it after about 15 minutes. Mine usually needs 22 minutes, which almost coincides with how long my oven takes to reach 400. It’s usually done 2-3 minutes after it reaches full temp, but ymmv. It’s magic!

29. aimee @ like mother like daughter on September 6, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Oh my gosh. I am so in love with Duke. I think I’m going to come steal him from you. Also, I think its hilarious and awesome that you call your husband your chief culinary consultant. Also, I have made bacon in the oven, it still gets crispy and is delicious.

30. Alexandra on September 6, 2013 at 12:20 pm

My vote goes to Chief Culinary Consultant, it is fun and much more unique than the generic “husband”. I cannot really help with purses as I am my self a big Coach fan… Boots however I always go for Born, they are SUPER comfy, gorgeous, great quality leather and last forever, I have some that are on their 4th season.

31. Mandy on September 6, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Hi and Happy Friday!!

I vote you call your SO your husband on the blog. CCC is too long to read and grating after a while. The term was confusing to me at first.

I liked Coach purses but have been disappointed in the quality lately. Check out Kate Spade – I absolutely love my new bag.

Oven bacon is the best! I just pop it in a jelly roll pan and let it do its thing. You can even throw it in frozen and after 10 minutes or so, the pieces should be thawed
    enough to use tongs to separate and lay flat.

Very sorry to hear your hand is still giving you trouble :(

Duke is such a cutie!!!

I love Frye boots! I just think some boots look weird on me because of my freakishly short legs LOL

32. Keyron on September 6, 2013 at 12:29 pm

I vote for whatever makes you happy! But I do like chief culinary consultant. And I’ve been baking bacon for years. It’s extra crispy and no mess.

33. Pieliekamais on September 6, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Awww, Duke is still so fuzzy! They are both so cute.
    I’m really sorry about your hand.
    I vote for “my husband”.

34. Guest on September 6, 2013 at 12:31 pm

I vote husband. Not to be rude, but CCC has always been quite odd to me- especially once I figured out he was the person you were dating! Once you got married, I thought, good she’ll refer to him as husband now!

35. Noreen on September 6, 2013 at 12:32 pm

I vote for his name!! Would be so much more personal :) Dog is adorable!

36. Martha in KS on September 6, 2013 at 12:36 pm

I think he deserved being elevated to Hubs or some variation.

37. Robin Christensen on September 6, 2013 at 12:36 pm

I think you can call him both! Call him CCC when you are talking food – call him your hubby when you are talking about all other things. And I love your sweet sleeping dogs picture! Precious!!!

• Lynne on September 7th, 2013 at 12:07 pm

I agree with this – if you still want to call him CCC (see, even we don’t want to bother typing it out) when he is in that role, then that makes sense. But, when you are talking about going on a trip with him or to a game, or whatever, I think you should refer to him as your husband. But, is his name an option too? Gee, we know you are Michelle, and we know Einstein and Duke, can’t we know your husband’s name? Even Carrie Bradshaw revealed Big’s name when she got married. (Ok, actually before, but when they committed to each other :-)

38. Katie on September 6, 2013 at 12:44 pm

bacon in the oven = the way to go. I use this method but also place foil under the parchment and cook for a bit longer (I like my bacon super-crispy). http://www.marthastewart.com/264476/less-mess-bacon

39. sharon on September 6, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Chief Culinary Consultant gets my vote also. Even though he is now your husband, he will still be your CCC. Any chance we’ll get to see your wedding photos soon? I love your blog and the stories & pictures of Einstein and Duke are so adorable. Good luck on your second opinion – hope he has better news for you.

40. Jillian@TheHumbleGourmet on September 6, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Oh my gosh, I am so sorry to hear about your finger! My husband had a bad work accident 2 years ago that resulted in many, many stitches and tendon damage. I hope that everything works out for the best.

Also, your puppy is killing me with cuteness.

41. Debbie on September 6, 2013 at 12:56 pm

I vote for husband too! That makes him sound less like an employee and for those who haven’t been following you for while like us will know for sure how important he is in your life! Definitely get a second opinion on that finger!

42. Desiree - Dishing with Des on September 6, 2013 at 1:04 pm

I only have 1 coach purse, and honestly it isn’t my favorite, especially for the price. I honestly love Jessica Simpson purses (and shoes), and they aren’t too pricey so you could get more than one for the price of 1 Coach or Michael Kors! The more the merrier when it comes to shoes & purses!

Looooove the puppy pics – omgoodness!

Bacon in the oven is supposed to be divine – especially with maple syrup and brown sugar! I’ve always microwaved mine with the vent fan on to pull the smell out of the house – love bacon, hate the smell & greasy feeling on my skin after cooking on the stove!

43. Sandy on September 6, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Late to the party but we definitely bake bacon in our house. No splattering oil, no standing over a skillet constantly and you can definitely cook more bacon at a time and it still comes out crispy and delicious. It’s still oily though so you definitely have to put the cooked slices on a sheet of paper towel to remove excess oil.

44. Dene on September 6, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Try bacon on the BBQ…I take a super old cookie sheet (that’s now only used for this purpose) and I put the bacon on the cookie sheet and essentially “fry” it over the BBQ. I’m going to try to line the cookie sheet w/ aluminum foil to see if that makes clean-up easier, but I love that I get the same results as frying on a skillet and I don’t care how much it splatters!

45. Terry Anderson on September 6, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Once you try bacon in the oven, you’ll never go back! Stick with CCC.

46. tanyae on September 6, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Your puppy is adorable! Culinary Consultant. Love the boots and now know what I will ask for as a birthday gift this year. And I love my Fossil bag.

47. Diane on September 6, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Your dogs are the cutest ever! I love to see any animal sleeping, they look so peaceful, content and beautiful!!
    Bacon in the oven is the only way I’ll do it, as I hate the grease splatter and mess it makes on the stove top. I have a large non-stick griddle that I use, and I don’t even line it or use a rack. 350 degrees until the desired doneness is achieved. I drain it really well on paper towels and that takes care of the excess grease. (I pour the leftover grease from the griddle into a jar for many uses later. Sinful I know, but it imparts great flavor into many other dishes.)
    As far as purses go, I love a Dooney and Bourke. They are beautiful, good quality and offer a huge selection. If you register it, they have a great repair / replace policy if need be.
    As far as CCC? No thoughts, your choice:-)

48. Rachel on September 6, 2013 at 1:31 pm

1 – you make me want a golden even more. We had Great Pyrenees/golden mix a few years ago & he was the very best dog. Thank you for always sharing pics of your furry guys.
    2 – always cook bacon the oven – less messy & so delicious!
    3 – I vote for “my husband”…you’re newlyweds and should be all lovey dovey. You could even alternate between husband & CCC, but enjoy the mushiness :)

49. Lisa on September 6, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Love CCC, ppl will catch on :)
    My purses that are not Coach are Fossil too

50. Emi on September 6, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Chief Culinary Consultant, definitely!!! :)

51. jean on September 6, 2013 at 1:45 pm

1- CCC is great to me but it’s up to you. I like that you gave him a nickname. 2- Bacon in the oven is fantastic. I do it on parchement so as to make cleanup easier. I typically cook 5 pounds and then store them in the freezer to nuke for 10 seconds when needed. 5 pounds fits into quite a small container once cooked.

52. Barb217 on September 6, 2013 at 1:45 pm

6pm.com has a big sale on Frye boots right now.

53. Marsha on September 6, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Wish little Duke could remain a puppy. He is so darn cute and happy to hear Einstein is loving his little brother. Our daughter has a golden that I just fell in love with too.
    When I first starting following your blog and I wasn’t sure if you were married to your chief culinary consultant or not until after becoming a regular. I like it and nick names show a real connection between the husband and wife. It’s an innate bonding you formed before marriage. Your husband is the one who really should make the call and I would guess he likes CCC.
    : – ( about your finger, but love you!

54. Michelle on September 6, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Because of the nature of your blog, I like CCC (similarly I like how Ree Drummond refers to her husband as Marlboro Man)
    Good luck with your hand.

55. Debbie Smith on September 6, 2013 at 2:10 pm

I always cook bacon in my oven on a pan lined with foil. Easy cleanup and it’s perfectly crispy every time

56. Andie B. on September 6, 2013 at 2:14 pm

I vote for “husband”. If you stick with CCC, though, maybe you can add a pic of you two on your “About” page and explain that you call your husband CCC. If you are mentioning him as CCC, then don’t make him so mysterious!

57. Laura on September 6, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Love your site. Your dogs are sooooooo cute keep those pictures coming! I like the CCC title instead of “my husband”. In terms of cooking bacon in the oven its easier and less mess but pan fry tastes the best.

58. Dawn McPherson on September 6, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Vote is for husband!!!!!
    Thank you for sharing puctures of Duke, gahhhhh!
    Him an Einsteine are adorable!!!!

59. Karl Anderson on September 6, 2013 at 2:28 pm

well, if ‘husband’ doesn’t make it, can you just refer to him as ccc in the future…chief culinary consultant is sooooo long, and probably a drag to type! lol…..also, try sprinking some brown sugar over the bacon when you bake it…it’s completely awesome!

60. Laura T on September 6, 2013 at 3:14 pm

I too vote for Chief Culinary Consultant. My preferred bacon method is stove-top, but in water at first (just covering) that then boils off – it doesn’t splatter as badly as just a straight skillet and it shrinks less too. I think I learned that method from Cooks Illustrated or ATK somehow. Enjoy your weekend, and good luck with the hand. If you have surgery – make sure you get very good PT afterwards. I have a pinky that doesn’t straighten all the way because we did that part of the PT exercises too late. Thankfully it does still grasp, so no big deal.

61. Betty on September 6, 2013 at 3:14 pm

He is still your CCC, regardless of his ‘title’. We who have followed you for so long know him as CCC! Why change it now? Also, love the photos of your furry babies!!

62. Marcia Ferguson on September 6, 2013 at 3:24 pm

I’m guessing your husband probably liked being your Chief Culinary Consultant … so if he doesn’t mind, I’d hang onto it – always nice to have a ‘title’. Love your dogs … and yep, I’m a Bobbi Brown fan. You can’t go wrong with the beige/taupe/caramel/mink shades she’s famous for and I adore her pinks. Keep up posted on the puppy!

63. Annette on September 6, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Duke is adorable! I vote for Chief Culinary Consultant. Much more interesting than husband!

64. Abby on September 6, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Duke is precious. : )
    And Frye boots are definitely worth the investment. However, eBay is a great place to check before buying from a department store. I recently bought a gently used pair for around $100!
    I’ve been stalking your site for awesome recipes for over a year now and I have yet to make something that wasn’t an absolute hit. Thanks so much!!

65. Autumn on September 6, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Do away with CCC. His name or husband already!!! CCC sound a lil silly :(

66. Karen Condit on September 6, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Your furry family members are fantastic! Stick with the title of Chief Culinary Consultant. Sounds more official in the kitchen. Good luck with your second opinion. Since fall is in the air, I am heating up the oven to bake your date bars for the family and brownies for my teaching partners. Monday is Back To School Night and I know we’ll need a chocolate fix to power through the long evening.

67. Denise on September 6, 2013 at 5:10 pm

My vote is for CCC, but it might be nice to refer to him by his actual name. Your new puppy is adorable. Sure hope your finger issues don’t require surgery – a second opinion is wise.
    I have cooked bacon in the oven and it’s great – just line a sheet pan with foil and lay the bacon on a cookie rack (I actually have an older one that I only use for cooking bacon in the oven).

68. Monica on September 6, 2013 at 5:12 pm

I vote husband! Also I can’t wait for your wedding post. You puppies look super cute! Have a great weekend!

69. Janice on September 6, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Yes to keeping Chief Culinary Consultant.
    I love Michael Kors bags, I love his style, but am a little partial because we were friends in high school. I love Stone Mountain for the soft leather. I love Tignanello for smaller, cross body and shoulder styles. I also like Sportsac for travel, because you can roll them up and stuff them in your carry on bag!
    Frye boots last forever!! Use saddle soap to clean them and a good conditioner like Lexol.

70. Fran@fransfavs.com on September 6, 2013 at 5:17 pm

I’m fond of your CCC reference and vote to keep the title! Maybe once in a while for new readers, you could say “my husband aka my CCC” to make it clear to them.
    Sorry about the surgery potential–and, yes, get a second opinion.
    Your new puppy and old “puppy” are so sweet together!

71. Michelle on September 6, 2013 at 5:24 pm

I am SO ready for another golden pup in my home. My 15 month old golden would love to have a little friend too. Bacon done in the oven is great! So much less mess to clean up after it’s done and while it’s in the oven, I am able to do other things to get breakfast on the table, so I say go for it. I am a huge Coach fan, but over the last year Fossil has hit my radar screen hard. Fossil bags are so classic & made with good thick leather that wears so nicely. As for input on the CCC vs husband, I say honor him with the appropriate title of “husband”. Really anyone can fill in at any moment as your CCC, but only he alone can be called your husband – that’s huge!

72. Dottie on September 6, 2013 at 5:43 pm

I guess because I’m older I’m also “old fashioned” & think husband is foremost. But I’m for whatever pleases him most…..Good luck with your hand….take care….

73. melinda martin on September 6, 2013 at 5:47 pm

I’m in favor of CCC…marriage seems like granting him tenure in the CCC position. As for bacon in the oven….we love it in my house. Sometimes I use my broiler pan so the grease drips down away from the bacon too.

74. Susan on September 6, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Chief Culinary Consultant…just more fun!! Love the pic of the two doggies!! So sweet :)

75. Barb on September 6, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Duke is adoreable. And the picture of him and Einstein is priceless. We just lost one of our two dogs a couple of months ago, so this one really warms my heart.

76. Peg Gilham on September 6, 2013 at 6:46 pm

You have my best wishes on your hand surgery. I had mine done 1 year ago and it was all arthritis. They restrung the tendon to my thumb and have a 3″ scar at the wrist from that one. They removed a bone from the wrist on the underside that just is a spacer for your bones at your wrist. I couldn’t use my right hand to start my vehicle because of the pain. I have a new joint in my middle finger. I was told that it probably wouldn’t bend but I thought it might be better if it wasn’t fused out straight and unable to move at all. That is not the finger I want erect!
    They tried to get it straighter but it’s still really bent because I had worn the bone down a lot. It can be used to hold things down but not much strength in the hand and still some pain and I still drop a lot of things. It is much better than it was. The middle finger was so crooked that when I tried to type on the computer, I hit the key next to what I wanted to hit. As I said, it has been a year but I reduced the pain by about 50%. It was worth it!!! Get a second opinion but don’t put it off because you will do more damage. Good luck.

77. Kate on September 6, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Chief Culinary Consultant. “Husband” is bland.

78. Karen on September 6, 2013 at 6:57 pm

I love making bacon in the oven. What I tend to do though is that I put a rack on top of the cookie sheet so that the fat comes off of the bacon and cooks nice and crispy without all of the extra fat.
    And I vote that he stay your CCC.
    Def get a second opinion on your hand before getting sliced open. Good luck!!! :)

79. Jennifer on September 6, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Oven bacon works great! My sister and I worked in food service and that’s how we made it in the cafeteria. We both still do it that way … one of very few cafeteria tricks worth adapting to home. I like the title CCC !! And re: the Frye boots. My experience is they last forever because they’re so hard to take on and off you’ll never wear ‘em haha. The ones that were big enough to slide into easily were too big everywhere else … the ones that fit my feet are impossible to get on. So DO try ‘em on and walk around in them lots before you decide!!! And I love Coach bags but lately have been colleting Kate Spade bags too. They just came out with their Spring (? 2014 Spring already?!) collection yesterday and there are great ones on there. Good sales and outlets too. :)

80. Stephanie C on September 6, 2013 at 7:06 pm

JPK Paris love their purses!! And the dogs are adorable

81. Elisabeth on September 6, 2013 at 7:12 pm

I liked “Chief Culinary Consultant.” I thought it was terribly clever the first time I saw it. It gives just enough of a respectful nod to someone who is not an assistant and not as involved as you are in the kitchen.
    Keep up the great blog!!

82. Meg @ Sweet Twist on September 6, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Stick with CCC… Bacon in the oven as others say is awesome, follow what they say about foil on baking sheet etc.

I sliced my pinky finger years ago and it will not go straight anymore. It is permanently curved… Doesn’t bother me though. Although still freaks me out when I try to straighten or play with it. Lol

83. Theresa D on September 6, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Just putting in my 2 cents in on the bacon. I LOVE cooking it in the oven. Just put foil down (I hate cooking on foil, but hate cleaning a greasy stove more) on a cookie sheet and follow the directions on the package. As long as you don’t overcook it, it is perfect and you don’t even have to flip it! It is the only way I cook it anymore.

84. Sue on September 6, 2013 at 7:44 pm

My vote: CCC….the only title he needs!! And YES, absolutely try bacon in the oven. I started this over the summer. It is soooo much easier to clean up. The bacon turns out great!

85. Maureen on September 6, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Duke is soooo cute!!

I’ll vote for Chief Culinary Consultant. “Husband” is rather generic. I doubt newbies will be confused. I’m a recent reader and I caught on right away.

Oven bacon for the win! I do mine with a broiler pan and it gets super crispy.

86. Zan on September 6, 2013 at 8:18 pm

1. Duke is adorable!
    2. I like CCC
    3. I’ve had my Frye boots – Melissa back zip in brown for 3 years now and they still look great. I buy a lot of my fall clothes based on whether they’ll go with my boots.

87. Beth on September 6, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Always make bacon in the oven..it cooks more evenly. I still watch it and turn it on the tray, if necessary. Duke has changed and from the looks of it, he and EInstein are becoming buddies. I’m a two thumbs up for calling the husband, CCC.lets not ruin his image

88. Rebecca on September 6, 2013 at 8:50 pm

I love CCC – so cute! Would still love to see pics of the wedding! :) Your babies are super cute too – I love that last pic of them together!

89. Daniella on September 6, 2013 at 8:53 pm

I vote for Kate Spade purses! My favorite brand and her lines are so simple and elegant. Also, check out the different brands that Littles in Squirrel Hill carries. Blondo and Ara (sp?) are so good and last forever, even through the salt and snow! Definitely worth the $200+ price tag.

90. kristen on September 6, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Please stick with Chief Culinary Consultant…it’s perfect!
    We cook bacon only in the oven now. It’s less messy and soooo easy. We line a baking sheet with tin foil, spray with pam and then lay out the bacon. 350 degrees for about 25 min or so and it’s perfect! It’s flat, not all crumpled up…perfect for BLTs or club sammies. good luck!

91. Daphne on September 6, 2013 at 9:02 pm

1) Seeing Duke makes me want to press my hubby more for a family dog.
    2) Making brownies and cupcakes from your site this weekend for birthdays
    3) Glad you cleared the CCC up because I told my hubby I thought he was your husband. But I like CCC ( 1 vote)
    4) I bought the entire Essie collection on Amazon for $31.00 and the colors are great!
    5) I’m thinking of getting the Coach Legacy Turnlock. I like kiss-lock purses too.
    6) I bought Arturo Chang boots during PiperLime sale. They have good sales.
    7) I absolutely love your site! I talk about you like you’re a friend who’s giving me recipes.

92. Mary Abrams on September 6, 2013 at 9:28 pm

When my schnauzer got to be an “old lady” we got a puppy. She sure perked up. It seemed that she got her youth back. As for hubby, Chief Culinary Consultant sounds good to me, but Hubby is a lot less letters.

93. Food, Faith, and Other Fabulous Finds on September 6, 2013 at 9:29 pm

I like that you call your hubby your CCC. Since I started reading your blog a year or two ago, I’ve been wishing that I had a cute nickname for my hubby. Also, I’m a HUGE fan of cooking bacon in the oven. I love crispy bacon, and the oven does that way better than the skillet. Plus it’s great to get nearly a whole package cooked in less than 30 minutes without being splattered by hot grease. BTW, your doggies look so cute together!

94. Ken on September 6, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Chief Culinary Consultant..

Duke is AWESOME! We just got our 2nd Goldendoodle and she is a handful! Love the Retriever/ Poodle mix, they are so smart!

95. Denise M. on September 6, 2013 at 10:02 pm

I love Essie’s For the twill of it. It changes colors depending upon the light

96. Jenn on September 6, 2013 at 11:49 pm

I like Chief Culinary Consultant. I love the new Essie colors, I ordered mine online can’t wait till they arrive. I love Kate Spade and Michael Kors bags.

97. Catherine on September 6, 2013 at 11:54 pm

As with a few others, it took me a LONG time to realize that your CCC meant more to you than just an assistant or close friend. Personally, I didn’t catch on to the relationship until the blog post where you decided to purchase a house together. Some may think that your blog should perhaps stay completely professional, but I LOVE the personalized stories about your family (LOVED what your grandmother did with your great-grandmothers recipes) and life. It really connects me to your blog on an emotional level and keeps me committed to reading daily. I don’t know anything about fashion, purses, or boots. Your recipes and brilliant writing have made yours the only blog I follow. I vote towards referring to your CCC husband as your CCC, but maybe with a touch more feeling. CCC can be very dry IMO. No matter what though, u will always follow and reference my catalog of BEB recipes. Thank you so much for your commitment to this, and I wish you the very best in life.

• Catherine on September 6th, 2013 at 11:56 pm

*I will always follow

98. Cheryl on September 7, 2013 at 7:56 am

Cooking bacon in the oven is the BOMB! I can cook an entire package at one time, which is great for BLT’s or when were having breakfast for dinner – I can cook bacon and pancakes at the same time.
    As an added bonus I don’t have bacon grease splattered all over. It’s a win – win :)

99. Angie on September 7, 2013 at 10:04 am

I love your dogs so much….makes me miss having a dog! I like CCC for your husband. I have been cooking bacon in my oven for years after I watched an episode of Barefoot Contessa….it turns out perfectly every time…who woulda thunk???

100. 2 Sisters Recipes on September 7, 2013 at 10:32 am

Do see a second opinion for your finger, every Doctor is different. If you can, sought out a Hand Surgeon who specializes only in the hand, ( increase change of a better outcome).
    Even though he is your husband, it’s still fine to call him your CCC, its sweeter than I call my hubby the KING! Your pups are so sweet and loving. Have a wonderful weekend! xxoo Warmly, Anna and Liz

Comment Pages 1 2 3